Cravings, do you listen to your body?

Options
Hear me out! When I eat whatever I want (including cakes, sweets, fatty foods etc) I never eat if m not hungry and I've never gained much weight, maybe a few pounds but that could be put down to what time of the month it is for me. Anyway I decided to cut out the crap, I'm doing insanity and want to fuel myself the best I can for maximum results. I started off counting the calories but now I'm into the 'real food' I'm ignoring it as I its bad for my past problems to do it constantly. So I've been eating to hunger while getting as many nutrients and variety in as possible, but I'm craving scrambled eggs... Like every day. Today I've had my homemade granola with milk, a salad with a salmon fillet and a whole mozzarella ball, a slice of wholemeal toast with hummus, roast butternut squash with soba noodle salad and a glass of wine. Now I'm tired, thinking of going to bed but I'm also hungry so I had 2 slices of wholemeal toast and 4 scrambled eggs, which I also had for breakfast yesterday and the day before.

Is it a bad thing to just listen to my cravings and hunger cues? Does this seems like a balanced day with the intense exercise I'm doing? I'm not looking to loose weight BTW but would like to tone up. Thanks!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    What matters is how many calories you eat... as long as you don't go over your calories I see nothing wrong with eating what you crave.
  • crysmiss86
    crysmiss86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If all you needs is that one forkful of cake to be satisfied, then go for it. I always eat more when I limit myself, so telling myself that I can eat one serving of bread (the thing I love in the world the most) takes my mind off of the want and I move on with my day. If I look at it and say "no, i'm on a diet" then I think about it all day and eventually cave, but then I eat like 3x as much of it.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body.

It tells you when it needs food.

Your cravings that won't go away don't pop up for no reason.

You might be craving scrambled eggs because you need more protein.

(A site is a general rule of thumb, not a personalized breakdown of what you need nutritionally personally based on yr health and activity.)

If you don't gain weight from giving into your cravings, just eat what you want.

It was working before, why change it? If you can intuitively eat, the the exercise will tone you up and your body will tell you what you need in the process.

I ignored a craving for rice for weeks because I kept hearing carbs were evil. I was also running every day. I finally gave into that craving and lo and behold, the distance I could run doubled. I hadn't been giving my body what it was telling me I needed. I am no longer a fan of ignoring cravings
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    To a degree, yes I do. If I am craving something specific, then yes, I eat/drink it. However, I do not advocate the belief of listening to your body in terms of trusting it to tell you when you are hungry/full. Doing that is what made me fat in the first place.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Well I've never been overweight and I'm not eating processed food so the cravings are never for cake! Once I craved olives like mad, another time fresh tomato soup, now eggs.

Makes sense that with the increased strain on my muscles from insanity I need more protein and so am craving the eggs right? I've eaten 12 eggs in 3 days lol, actually I've also been craving the ham in the fridge (boyfriends wafer thin crap) which I haven't eaten because its full of stuff I can't pronounce.... Think I need a steak for dinner lol