I want to attempt to eat fish haha

Options
Okay, I am not a fish person. I love shellfish, but there is just something about a fish filet :sick:

I really want to broaden my main dish options so I would love some input about your favorite ways to cook fish that do not involve that horrid lemon and dill mixture haha (no offense to anyone that likes this, I think it's something from my childhood about it that disgusts me lol). I'm a fan of spicy, breaded, etc...just not that.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!!!

Replies

• Allieballie
    Allieballie Posts: 102
    Options
    I like fish done in panko bread crumbs. A light, flaky, japanese bread crumb. Slices of salmon, dipped in egg white, then panko, placed on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, will only take a few minutes too cook at 400F :)
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like fish done in panko bread crumbs. A light, flaky, japanese bread crumb. Slices of salmon, dipped in egg white, then panko, placed on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, will only take a few minutes too cook at 400F :)

omg that sounds soo good!! i will try!
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fish and mainly cook it grilled .

I have marinated it in Low Fat Italian Dressing then grill it.
    I have crushed FF Saltines seasoned with some powder garlic, parsley and then coated the fish and baked on a pan with spray olive oil.
    Used Walmart brand Peach-Pineapple chipolte sauce over the filets and baked :)
    Make Fish Pockets..spray foil with Olive Oil spray, place filet in there, add some pepper, sliced onions, zucchini slices and top with a lemon slice and place on grill..all cooks together and I think its pretty good.

I am sure more experienced MFP's will join in with more recipes..i am not really good at inventing exciting recipes but thought i would give u some of my ways to fix fish.
    Good Luck!!
  • julest25
    julest25 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Fresh Salmon (not smoked) with mushrooms, a little garlic, salt and pepper, and a splash of white wine - wrap in tin foil and bake in the oven at 180C for 15-20 mins. Delicious and low calorie too!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I posted a recipe last week - flounder picatta - Use any white fish with it. I used Talapia.
    It was really good.
    Steph

Do a search under the recipes board, or search on cookinglight.com
  • mdennis22
    mdennis22 Posts: 2
    Options
    You should try getting it blackened. It is very spicy. Also try different types of fish. I personally love Amberjack, grouper and tilapia. I am not very big on Salmon and Red Snapper.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can't stand dill, either. Blackened is great if you like spicy. It's one of my favorites. When I'm just being "boring" though, I take a tablespoon of oil, mix it with a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and brush the fish with that and then just add whatever seasonings are at hand. (I know you hate the lemon and dill, but the lemon really does help a lot--honest.) Then I grill or bake it until flaky.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Grilled and barbequed tilapia on whole wheat toast dabbed with homemade slaw is a tasty fat burning meal for four. Serve with 1 to 2 Slow Carb portions and you have a delicious fat burning meal!

Ingredients:

.4 (4-5 oz.) fresh or frozen skinless tilapia or flounder fillets .Nonstick cooking spray
    .2 TBSP Smart Beat (light mayo)
    .2 tsp lemon juice
    .2 cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
    .4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
    .2 TBSP bottled Annie's Original barbecue sauce

Method:

1. Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Measure thickness of fish. Lightly coat both sides of each fish fillet with nonstick cooking spray.

2. For a charcoal grill, place fish on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 4-6 min. per ½ in. thickness or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place fish on greased grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) You could also do this on your stove top with a non stick pan.

3. In a medium bowl, stir together Smart Beat and lemon juice. Add cabbage; toss to coat.

4. To assemble, spoon cabbage mixture onto bread slices. Top with fish fillets. Drizzle fish with barbecue sauce.

Serves: 4

Approximate nutritional analysis per serving: 275.8 calories (34.2 grams of protein, 25.4 grams of carbohydrates, 4.1 grams of fat, 3.9 grams of fiber, 409.3 mg of sodium).
  • cdavis1126
    Options
    Asian Salmon Sliders with Citrus Yogurt Sauce

1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    Juice of half a lime
    Juice of half an orange
    1 tsp honey
    1 lb skinless, boneless salmon
    1 Tbsp sesame oil
    2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
    1 piece ginger (1 inch), chopped
    2 garlic cloves, chopped Juice of half a lemon
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    6 small 100% whole-grain pitas

1. Combine yogurt, lime juice, orange juice, and honey; set aside.

2. Preheat grill to medium. Wash salmon and pat dry. Chop half the fish and place in food processor along with sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Process into a pasty puree.

3. Chop remaining salmon and add to puree along with bread crumbs and cilantro. Pulse until combined. Form into 12 small patties and brush with oil.

4. Grill 4 minutes per side. Stuff pitas with burgers and yogurt sauce.

Makes 6 servings. Per serving: 292 cal, 11 g fat (2 g sat), 27 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 446 mg sodium, 23 g protein
  • cdavis1126
    Options
    Sometimes I just take the tilapia and season it with some black pepper and a little cayenne pepper. coat from non stick pan with cooking spray and cook till it's flaky. I measure out 4 oz of the fish, divide between two ortega whole wheat hard shell tacos. top with some diced tomato, lettuce and slivers of red onion. Fish tacos and it doesn't get any simpler and delicious than that.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Try a heartier fish to start, like Marlin or Swordfish. This fish is dense in texture and can be almost like a steak in taste, not fishy. It can take on stronger flavors too. I like to throw mine on the grill with some Montreal Steak Seasoning or Teryaki. It is also good with some Rosarita Salsa Verde on top.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I like blackened mahi, I throw it in a tortilla with some cilantro, sliced avocado and diced tomato and it is to die for!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    soy sauce and brown sugar is fabulous on white fish.

so it a seasoning from penzey spice called fox point (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysfoxpoint.html). love it!
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    i am a basic season and go type girl... i put some cayenne pepper, garlic and onion on tilapia and pan fry it with a lil olive oil... if i'm not enjoying it, i add hot sauce