Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Natty or Not

Options
2»

Replies

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Usually I would say how you lose weight is no one's business, but if you're gonna try and package and market a specific plan then I think you should have to disclose if it worked for you, if you used any other tool or method or supplement, etc.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,693 Member
    Options
    Usually I would say how you lose weight is no one's business, but if you're gonna try and package and market a specific plan then I think you should have to disclose if it worked for you, if you used any other tool or method or supplement, etc.
    Yeah in the fitness industry, they will hardly ever say what they used if they are getting big attention. Everyone wants to be thought of as natural as possible because if you get the attachment of using PED's or any enhancement of any kind, you'll get ridiculed. That's NOT to say they didn't work hard to get where they are, but especially with pro competitors, you're likely not going to find anyone who's not using something chemically to enhance their physique.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nolongergordo
    nolongergordo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Definitely,

Putting to one side the commercial interests linked to supplement sales and social media click monies we have a lot of kids and grown people who are convinced that we have humans in their 50's / 60's ripped like Greek gods from chicken, rice and broccoli.

I mean, is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Nope.

We have a few genetic outliers out here but most are just out liars, imho.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,477 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Smart people don't get their fitness/exercise/diet information from some self proclaimed influencer, that is obviously on gear or every camera angle looks to taken half way up a butt crack.

Smart people look at the qualifications of the people providing information.
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    As a personal trainer, nutrition coach, and fitness center general manager, I wholeheartedly believe that influencers should be transparent about everything they eat/drink and supplement with their fitness routines to not create unachievable goals for their followers. Many of the influencers preach about exercise or nutrition but fail to mention they are taking PEDs or steroids to help them. Being someone in the fitness industry, I find it dishonest when influencers don't tell the whole story.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    As a personal trainer, nutrition coach, and fitness center general manager, I wholeheartedly believe that influencers should be transparent about everything they eat/drink and supplement with their fitness routines to not create unachievable goals for their followers. Many of the influencers preach about exercise or nutrition but fail to mention they are taking PEDs or steroids to help them. Being someone in the fitness industry, I find it dishonest when influencers don't tell the whole story.

Agree 100% plus, the photo/video techniques used can make a huge difference in appearance. Back in the 1980's a college roommate had a huge infatuation with the Chicago Honey Bears (Chicago Bears dance team), had the posters, etc. Several of them made an appearance at a local mall. He was very disappointed they didn't look anything like the poster. And this was long before the photo/video editing tools we have today. Same thing, another friend worked with a woman that was a centerfold in Playboy. He said she was okay looking in real life, but not that special.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think "influencers" in general should be taken with a huge grain of salt, and the vast majority of them ignored completely.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I don't necessarily think they need to declare it, but some of them do need to be more honest. Don't make false claims that everything you've achieved is natural. Don't lie about it if asked. Don't be selling your fitness gear or drinks without being transparent about what else you're on.

I'm tired of the Hollywood "chicken and rice" crap too, for every actor's rapid transformation from average to huge. Pushing articles about their workouts in magazines and YT (and those are clearly crap too, no way they built those bodies with those garbage routines), and saying they ate chicken and rice constantly. Oh yeah, and what else?

Interviewers could do much better too when talking to these actors, but for access reasons presumably they don't want to. Maybe they'll ask if the guy is on steroids and the guy laughs it off without really answering, but steroids aren't the only things they might be on so even if they honestly say no, that doesn't mean they aren't taking other things, or weren't taking steroids before.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think "influencers" in general should be taken with a huge grain of salt, and the vast majority of them ignored completely.

Yep, if someone has to refer to themselves as an influencer, most likely their advice isn't worth listening to.