Just chocolates on 1200 calories

Options
I was wondering could you lose weight if you just ate chocolate all day but stayed within 1200 calories budget. I mean I dont actually eat all my calories in chocolate but i have a very sweet tooth and prefer my sweet treats over anything else.TIA

Replies

• Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Theoretically yes, but you would probably eventually develop nutritional imbalances that might be problematic. Moreover, despite the sugar industry fighting it, high sugar consumption —particularly from highly processed foods - - is linked with poor health outcomes including possibly increased cancer risk and dental diseases.The good news is that all of my doctors and my nutritionist have actually encouraged me to eat a small amount of very dark chocolate daily if I feel like it. So the less processed and lower sugar varieties are apparently OK. If it is sweet stuff you crave there are of course other sweet things you can have with your chocolate to get a few vitamins and fiber in like fruits and berries!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,333 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Aside from nutritional deficiencies, you'd probably get quite hungry too, I don't think chocolates are very filling 🙂

But theoretically yes. The Twinkie diet is a famous example of a less nutritional diet still resulting in weight loss.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    "Sweet treats" are problematic in general for me.

Of course I know you're being hyperbolic saying "only chocolate" but the problem with sweets is that they don't fill me up and they increase cravings for more sweets. Same with breads, cereals, pretzels. Wheat and sweets are both problematic.

I had to increase whole fruits and vegetables and decrease drastically sweets and wheat. When I stick with that life is good and food is easy.
  • janet2030
    janet2030 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes its absolutely possible. But obviously a balanced diet is better for your health. Can loose weight on mcdonalds as long as your stick to the numbers as well
    Ive never tried any of the above!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    "Sweet treats" are problematic in general for me.

Of course I know you're being hyperbolic saying "only chocolate" but the problem with sweets is that they don't fill me up and they increase cravings for more sweets. Same with breads, cereals, pretzels. Wheat and sweets are both problematic.

I had to increase whole fruits and vegetables and decrease drastically sweets and wheat. When I stick with that life is good and food is easy.

Cosigned!

I do still eat chocolate, but I'm down to 16 grams of dark chocolate chips per day, and eat this very very slowly - I let one chip at a time dissolve in my mouth.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, you'd lose weight, if 1200 calories is lower than your maintenance calorie needs.

For a while. Because who could stick to eating 1200 calories of only chocolate for very long, really? I understand the fantasy, but weight loss happens (or doesn't) in real life.

You can eat sweets while losing weight. How much of calorie-dense sweets you can eat on 1200 calories and still stick with those calories happily . . . that's an individual question, because satiety tends to be very individualized.

Some people use non-caloric sweeteners to satisfy their sweet tooth - or at least some of it - while losing weight. Some people worry about the healthfulness of artificial sweeteners, but for most people, eating moderate amounts of artificial sweeteners, being obese is more of a health risk statistically than the sweeteners, in my view.

For me, making it a point to eat several daily servings of fruit gradually resulted in lower cravings for less nutrient-dense but higher calorie sweets like candy and baked goods. That strategy doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen others here say that it helped them.

Those could be a couple of things to experiment with, in the context of (ideally) a calorie-appropriate way of eating that provides adequate overall nutrition on average over a day or few.

Mono-diets are bad, generally. Chocolate maybe isn't the worst mono-diet ever: Even dark chocolate contains all 3 macros.🤷‍♀️😆

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,845 Member
    Options
    Mathematically yes but realistically no.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Depends on the individual. If someone is morbidly obese they can live quite easily without any calories for quite some time so eating 1200 calories from chocolate is a bonus and all their health markers will improve. An athlete with 8% body fat that requires 4000 calories a day to maintain, not so much. Cheers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Depends on the individual. If someone is morbidly obese they can live quite easily without any calories for quite some time so eating 1200 calories from chocolate is a bonus and all their health markers will improve. An athlete with 8% body fat that requires 4000 calories a day to maintain, not so much. Cheers.

You can still suffer nutritional deficiencies even if you have enough stored energy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

You can still suffer nutritional deficiencies even if you have enough stored energy.

Good catch and yes of course. Funny, I was thinking of adding supplementation to my post. If someone was to actually fast that long or consume extremely low calories, supplementation under supervision generally happens. Today it's easy to find deficiencies in the general population that over consume and some are chronic, so there is that as well. Cheers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Good catch and yes of course. Funny, I was thinking of adding supplementation to my post. If someone was to actually fast that long or consume extremely low calories, supplementation under supervision generally happens. Today it's easy to find deficiencies in the general population that over consume and some are chronic, so there is that as well. Cheers.

Yup. Just wanted to get the point in for lurkers.