Green Coffee Bean Extract

Options
I just watched an episode of Dr. Oz where he did a study on 50 people who took 400 mg of green coffee bean extract 3xday. They lost an average of 1-2 lbs. per week without changing anything in their diets. I am interested in taking this along with my healthy diet and exercise routine and was wondering if anyone has taken it and had any results?

He did say it was important to be sure the pills contained at least 45% chlorogenic acid and should contain Svetol or GCA.

Thanks for the feedback.

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    waste of $

There is no substitute for a sensible diet and exercise routine that consists of weight training and cardio.
  • jilly1130
    jilly1130 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you that there is no substitute for eating healthy and exercising and I am not going to change my diet or exercise regimen as it is working so far and has worked in the past. I am interested in thoughts from those who have taken it as to whether it made any impact on their weight loss results -- I would be interested if it helped me lose 1.5 lbs. a week versus 1lb. I am definitely not looking at this as a miracle or a tool to lose an unhealthy amount of weight in a short period of time. Would just love to be able to average 2 lbs. a week:)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Couple of lengthy threads about this already. I don't think you're going to find too many proponents of any type of diet pill here. I have no experience with 'em at all... but I do tend to think that Dr Oz is a snake oil salesman, and he flogs the 'diet of the day...' routinely. I mean, the guy comes up with a new 'miracle' just about every day. That said... I did stumble across juicing through some guy who claimed to have cured his own cancer on the Ricky Lake show... so, whadda I know?

080508-215101-282007.jpg

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/691927-green-coffee-bean-extract-does-it-work-for-you?hl=green+coffee+beans

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586034-green-coffee-bean-extract-results?hl=green+coffee+beans
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you search 'green coffee extract' in PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) you'll find that the research on this is at the very early stages. The research looks promising but there has not been enough to determine if it really works for weight loss or appropriate dosages, possible long term side effects, etc. One study abstract talked about determining the amount of pesticides in green coffee bean extract, which is another issue to consider when deciding to take unregulated supplements of this sort. Very few studies in humans and a 2011 review of the literature considered all the research then published to have significant medical flaws. I'd be wary of taking it.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use it daily. I seem to be less hungry when I take it vs when I don't, but I don't attribute my weight loss to it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    anything that starts with "I saw this on Dr Oz..." is BS in my book ...sorry...

eat less + work out = lose weight...
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    anything that starts with "I saw this on Dr Oz..." is BS in my book ...sorry...

eat less + work out = lose weight...

Yup
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    waste of $

There is no substitute for a sensible diet and exercise routine that consists of weight training and cardio.

/\ This.

I took it for a couple of months with no difference in my weight loss. It did give me a little boost of energy...nothing that a cup of coffee wouldn't do.

There is no magic pill, sorry. Eat right and exercise...even when everything in you doesn't want to.