Filling but low cal snacks

Options
Any suggestions for filling but low cal snacks?
Just starting out and I feel hungry all the time but do t want to go over my cal goal

Replies

• Mischante
    Mischante Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Two hard boiled eggs (120 cal, 12 g protein), sugar free yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, tuna creations packet, smoked oysters, 2 oz boneless skinless chicken tenderloin....
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    apple, mango, grapefruit, banana, eggs
  • ozbukes1616
    ozbukes1616 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anything that is high in fiber -- 1/4 cup of bran buds with 1/4 cup of fat free yogurt -- this leaves me feeling full for hours
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Banana. I just tried Quaker Rice Cakes for the first time this week, chocolate flavor, quite large and filling for 60 calories each. Costco and Sams sell Healthy Choice Fudge bars which are 100 calories each, and they're delicious.

Doing a bit of light exercise, even just going for a walk maybe, can take your mind off eating too, and put you in a frame of mind of wanting to eat better.
  • stephnrh1
    stephnrh1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My go-to is strawberries they are super low in calories and they are sweet so they fill you up and take care of a Sweet Craving at the same time. I will also take low calorie yogurt and cut up strawberries and put it in there to get a more filling snack in between my meals.
  • stephnrh1
    Options
    And I've lost almost 20 pounds already so I must be doing something right!
  • stephnrh1
    Options
    And I promise you that being hungry all the time feeling will go away as your body adjust to the lower calorie consumption. Obviously the more calories that you ate prior and then cutting down you're going to feel hungry but it's almost like your stomach in a way shrinks over time I think it took me a couple weeks before I stopped feeling hunger. And I noticed a lot of the times it wasn't even hunger I was feeling it was boredom or stress. I would find things to do but go for a walk or clean out my refrigerator to fill in that time until it passed. It's not just about cutting your calories it's about changing pretty much everything you do on a daily basis.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

What's filling is a bit individual. For me, protein or volume is usually it. Helps if it's something that takes time to eat, because it takes a while for "full" to register. Some things I like are hard boiled eggs, 2% milk string cheese, light Babybel cheese, apples, raw veggies, crispy broad beans/chickpeas/lentils, dry-roasted soybeans. Meat eaters often like jerky.

I don't necessarily go for super low cal snacks, rather sometimes include things that are moderate calories but nutrient dense, so they contribute to the day's nutritional needs.

There are other things that affect hunger, in the spoiler because you didn't ask.

First off, don't go for too-aggressive weight loss. Eating too little will for sure make you hungry. Good thought would be a loss rate around 0.5%-1% of current weight per week (bias toward the lower end of that unless severely obese and under close medical supervision for deficiencies or health complications). Another rule of thumb is to avoid cutting more than 20%-ish below your maintenance calorie needs (TDEE).

Second, there is an adaptation period of a couple of weeks-ish, when your body adjusts to new habits.

Third, many people find that if they're eating relatively high proportions of refined or highly processed foods, those are less filling than things like lean meats, veggies, fruits, whole grains and that sort of thing. This may not be universal, but it's common.

Fourth, be adequately hydrated. No need to go crazy, but get enough fluids.

Fifth, if your sleep quality/quantity is sub-par, try to improve that.

Sixth, experiment with timing of meals, snacks, nutrients, foods . . . including things like relative size of each meal/snack through the day. Sometimes variations in timing make a big difference. Just as an example, not because I think these specifics will be true for you, I found I needed a solid breakfast with ample protein, protein through the day, and high volume (usually veggies) at at least one daily meal. Other people do better skipping breakfast, or other variations, so it's individual.

Best wishes for figuring it out!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do a juice-fast day to kick off a brief cut. I'm hungry that day, but I expect that. I find I have less hunger on subsequent days.

For me, a juice-fast is a 32 hour period where I have ~12oz of Gatorade or something equivalent ~3 times, 1-2 cups of hot tea, and plenty of water. Basically, no solid food for a full day until the following breakfast. I really didn't know I could do it so easily until I prep'ed for my first colonoscopy!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with hard boiled eggs. I've recently started eating them and down one or two of them and you FEEL like you've eaten something.

Also, since I've had to up my protein and fats, mixing avocado with canned chicken or tuna or salmon works too.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Depends what your idea of low calorie is. Anything with a combination of protein, fat and fiber is going to be the most filling.

2-3oz chicken (100) with a piece of cheese(80), mustard/salsa wrapped in lettuce= less than 200 cals
    1/2c instant raw oats (150) plus 1 chobani non fat yogurt (100) plus 1 tbspn almonds (45) = less than 300 cals
    2 eggs scrambled (150) with cheese (80) and spinach = less than 250
    1 protein bar (200) with an apple (100) = about 300
    2 rice cakes (90) with 1 packet of Justins peanut butter to go (210) = about 300

add in veggies on the side if you need more volume.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah: I forgot plain nonfat yogurt + chocolate peanut butter powder + frozen berries (still frozen).
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Turkey pepperoni slices and cheese
    Greek yogurt with berries
    Apple slices and a tablespoon of peanut butter
    A few rolled up slices of turkey luncheon meat
    Peanut butter and crackers
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    newmum2010 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for filling but low cal snacks?
    Just starting out and I feel hungry all the time but do t want to go over my cal goal

Lots of good advice above so I will take a different angle. Are you sure your calorie goal is appropriate? We see lots of women here who think they can't lose weight if they eat more that 1200 calories: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Here's a guide for setting your weekly weight loss goal on MFP:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • ehelmsnc
    ehelmsnc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a veggie garden. I have been snacking on raw yellow squash and cucumbers dipped in ranch dressing made with Greek nonfat yogurt. It is not bad, satiates the hungers and is low cal.
  • thatbeautifulchick
    thatbeautifulchick Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    This am for breakfast I had about 3 oz of mesquite chicken breast and half a “green machine” juice drink (only half because it has carbs and sugar) and it came to 250 cals, which is a good and very satisfying snack

Also, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or hell really any fruit with a couple tablespoons of light whip cream is about 180 cals, hits that sweet tooth and very filling

Good ol’celery with cream cheese or peanut butter is also filling but can’t remember the calorie count on it. I eat these type of food group snacks all day, I don’t really eat meals I just alternate fruit veggie carb all with a bit of protein and fat