Looking for a food scale that is accurate to 0.1 gram or help fixing current scale

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
edited July 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm looking for recommendations for a brand of food scale that is accurate to 0.1 gram. I don't need for it to be large or have a lot of capacity.

I see a lot of options on Amazon, but when I read the one star reviews, a lot of the complaints are that the scales are not truly accurate to 0.1 gram, so am looking for personal recommendations.

Preferably something that is sold on Amazon. Bonus points if it's on sale for Prime Day :smiley:

Alternatively, suggestions for fixing this:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3758577/food-network-precision-digital-kitchen-scale.jsp

It's only a little over a year old, and the readings now fluctuate wildly. I tried several sets of batteries and cleaned the contacts, to no avail.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll bite...why do you need one that measure such a small amount as 0.1 gram?

I would think there would be pharmaceutical-use scales like that, but where to buy something like that ?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    oh, and when my scales act up, I have a second one and a "rest" usually fixes whatever is going on. I think moisture must affect them.

YMMV
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    That sort of precision in a scale used to weigh food seems like overkill. I am guessing the natural variation in the nutritional values of food is larger than that.
  • noraknotes
    noraknotes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer but I'd also like to know so I'm commenting to follow. I use a food scale that is 0.3g and if I add something slow enough, it doesn't move.
    Also, I meal prep for my dog so 0.1g is important for supplements that need to be measured. Hope someone will come with a good suggestion!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm looking for recommendations for a brand of food scale that is accurate to 0.1 gram. I don't need for it to be large or have a lot of capacity.

I see a lot of options on Amazon, but when I read the one star reviews, a lot of the complaints are that the scales are not truly accurate to 0.1 gram, so am looking for personal recommendations.

Preferably something that is sold on Amazon. Bonus points if it's on sale for Prime Day :smiley:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3758577/food-network-precision-digital-kitchen-scale.jsp

It's only a little over a year old, and the readings now fluctuate wildly. I tried several sets of batteries and cleaned the contacts, to no avail.

In buying a cute little purse-size portable scale I ended up with a drug scale :D It has .1 gram readability (can't swear to accuracy as I've never tested it) and 500 g capacity. Brand is Gen Tech. I use it mostly for measuring things like herbs/spices. Despite apparently wanting a portable scale, it's never left my kitchen counter.

The warning label on the back says to keep away from strong electrical/magnetic fields and mobile phones to maintain accuracy.

eta: I didn't get it on Amazon, I got it at Harbor Freight Tools. Amazon may have it.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Okay, I'll bite...why do you need one that measure such a small amount as 0.1 gram?

I would think there would be pharmaceutical-use scales like that, but where to buy something like that ?
    That sort of precision in a scale used to weigh food seems like overkill. I am guessing the natural variation in the nutritional values of food is larger than that.

You're right, it would be overkill for food. It's for powdered vitamin C. In this case, tenths of grams makes a big difference.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

In buying a cute little purse-size portable scale I ended up with a drug scale :D It has .1 gram readability (can't swear to accuracy as I've never tested it) and 500 g capacity. Brand is Gen Tech. I use it mostly for measuring things like herbs/spices. Despite apparently wanting a portable scale, it's never left my kitchen counter.

The warning label on the back says to keep away from strong electrical/magnetic fields and mobile phones to maintain accuracy.

eta: I didn't get it on Amazon, I got it at Harbor Freight Tools. Amazon may have it.

This? https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-pocket-scale-93543.html Amazon does have it, but for $10 more.

Herbs and spices, good idea! Lemon zest is difficult to weigh on my regular XOX food scale. For now, I weigh the whole lemon after I zest, and it doesn't register until I get to -3 grams.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

This? https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-pocket-scale-93543.html Amazon does have it, but for $10 more.

Herbs and spices, good idea! Lemon zest is difficult to weigh on my regular XOX food scale. For now, I weigh the whole lemon after I zest, and it doesn't register until I get to -3 grams.

Yes! That's it! I'm pretty sure I grabbed it on sale much cheaper than that, it was a total impulse buy. It's so tiny and cute.

Battery life has been phenomenal. It sits beside my usual food scale and I've occasionally used it when I'm weighing multiple accumulations of ingredients in cooking. I also used it for splitting doses of some med that was in powder form.
  • kshama2001
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I went to Harbor Freight yesterday, asked a sales person for help locating the scale, and she handed me the 1000 g pocket scale, which actually cost less than the 500 g, so I went with it. So far so good. Pennies, quarters, and nickels all weigh exactly what they are supposed to.

Thanks for your help!