High reps? Low reps? Heavy resistance? Light resistance? New study on exercise debate

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
edited July 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/fitness/high-weight-low-reps-or-low-weight-high-reps-new-study-ends-debate/ar-AA1dP1VI#:~:text=The data was split fairly evenly between men,with fewer reps is the way to go.

"Opinions on the most effective resistance exercises are as varied as the types of resistance exercises that exist. Some folks swear by powerlifting, while others extol the virtues of lighter weights with more reps, while still others evangelize the power of bodyweight exercises like planks, wall sits, or Pilates. Everyone thinks their type of exercise is the most effective, the most heart-healthy, the most important.

But now, we can finally settle that age-old debate, thanks to researchers at McMaster University in Ontario. It turns out the perfect resistance workout is whatever resistance workout you prefer. What really matters when it comes to weights and strength is sticking to it."

I like to apply both to my training so I do each set of exercises in a 12, 10, 8, 6 rep format increasing weight each set. On legs, it's not uncommon for me to go up to 20 reps instead of 12.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that. It's quite interesting.

I need to send it to my brother, who prefers to workout only at his home gym, sometimes on a zoom with a trainer. I'm all for it, but he bugs me constantly about weightlifting whereas I prefer mostly running, cycling, swimming, paddleboarding, rollerblading, hiking, and other outside activities. When I do strength sets, I like simple bodyweight, band, and dumbell exercises. 20 reps is fine with me!

Party on, @ninerbuff.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I've seen the fitness people I follow on YT talking about that some weeks ago.

From the article:

"The main takeaway is simply that any type of strength training is good strength training. But the researchers also found that if your goal is to bulk up, smaller weights with more reps is ideal. And if you hope to build strength, heavier weights with fewer reps is the way to go."

Lower reps with higher weight can build more fatigue, and you'll of course have far fewer reps in a session/week. With higher reps and lower weight you can get more time under tension, which is probably why that builds more muscle over time than the former.

I think it's important to remember though that you need to be doing proper working sets and with progressive overload, whether you target 5, 8, 10, 12, 15 or 20 reps.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    I dedicate one pair of workouts (upper/lower) to sets of five and cranking up the weight, and a second pair of workouts (upper/lower) to sets of 10-12, with squats from 15-20. I once did 100 reps in a single squat set, pausing as needed but never re-racking the weight. Never again, believe you me! lol
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I dedicate one pair of workouts (upper/lower) to sets of five and cranking up the weight, and a second pair of workouts (upper/lower) to sets of 10-12, with squats from 15-20. I once did 100 reps in a single squat set, pausing as needed but never re-racking the weight. Never again, believe you me! lol
    Leg day I always do 100 reps warm up on leg press with just 180lbs. But I break it up to 5 sets of 20 with just a short pause between sets. By the time I'm ready to do my work sets, my depth is good and I just keep adding 90lbs a set.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The best rep range is a combo of all. As you age, higher reps become more prevalent for joint health.

Muscles have different fiber types so some prefer lower and some do better with higher however a combo is still optimum
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    nossmf wrote: »
    Leg day I always do 100 reps warm up on leg press with just 180lbs. But I break it up to 5 sets of 20 with just a short pause between sets. By the time I'm ready to do my work sets, my depth is good and I just keep adding 90lbs a set.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    The best rep range is a combo of all. As you age, higher reps become more prevalent for joint health.

Muscles have different fiber types so some prefer lower and some do better with higher however a combo is still optimum
    As we age our fast twitch muscle fibers reduce in efficiency, hence speed and quickness start to reduce. Part of the reason why I have my clients over 60 doing reps of 10-15 on exercises.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png