Meditation

Options
gmallan
gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
This didn't seem to fit within any particular topic so I decided to put it here.

I've been wanting to start meditating for a while now but haven't got around to starting. I'm a bit unsure about where to begin. Just looking for some suggestions in relation to meditation techniques. Possibly something that starts small (time wise) and works up.

So all you meditators - what have you tried, what do you like and what do you recommend for a newb?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• sj_1970
    Options
    I started doing meditation awhile ago. The best thing(s) I learned were how to breathe (diaphragm breath) and go at your own pace so you don't hyperventilate :)
    Also knowing that if thoughts come in that isn't necessarily the 'oh no I'm doing it wrong' I learned that if thoughts come in, I can notice them, put them in a bubble and let them float out.

I also learned that walking can be my meditation it's what clears out everything else. If thoughts come up, I give them attention and then 'poof' they're gone. I figure if they're showing up as long as they are not a 'oh let's worry and fret about this incessantly' which isn't worth giving my attention to that maybe if it was grief I'd ask it why are you here? and I'd get oh I'm coming up because I need to sit down and be tender with myself and honor my suffering so it can pass. If it was a little concern, I'd be like why are you showing up? and I'd get because I am worrying about what might be instead of what is and would be reminded to stay in the moment, to realize what was going on right then. Through walking I'd be at a better place, and I'd get to the moment when I'd be in my skin and notice the air on my face, the way my breath went in and out of my body, the way my muscles feel, the way my blood would move through my body, the way my feet would touch the earth, the way my socks would feel, I'd be completely in the moment. Then I move beyond those sensations into something more. Probably this isn't typical meditation but I read somewhere that meditation is what brings us to 'attention' what brings us to awareness and I can get that through walking if I walk long enough. (an hour+)

There is quiet time meditation as well which for me is by being still. Breathing and letting my mind and body get to the place of being quiet. It took a good long while. That is different than walking meditation. This is where I meet myself (for lack of better wording) and then it moves to something else I also meet something that is part of me (I think) but yet more than me (spirit?)

Also I used to have a tea and quiet time before bed, where I would rub lotion on my tootsies which is meditation in it's own right :)

Also there are many many different kinds of meditation, many definitions of meditation. As for recommendations for a newb. Check out a book from your local library or download an audiobook from your local library (most states have them now) on meditation? There are probably things out there as well on you tube or vevo. I started mine with a book, I learned a bit through reiki and yoga and learned more through another book/audio cd and then just started doing it on my own. Realized that walking did the same thing for me as meditation and then discovered thich nhat hanh LOVE! this lil monk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHieroZ8fpA
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. It's strange because the way you talk about walking is how I feel about playing sport. It's the one thing I do where I can switch off all other thoughts. I can't honestly think of a time where I had a worry or a negative thought about something from my life when I was on the field. No matter what crap is going on in my life, it's like it all dissapears for that hour and a half. Having said that I do want to give proper meditation a go too so I might have a look around for an ebook on the subject.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sj_1970 summed it up really well! I would also suggest tinybuddha.com ;)

I began meditation by candle staring (non technical term of course) and transitioned to sit down eyes closed meditation. Although ill admit I'm not particularly great at either.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    There are some fantastic guided meditations on youtube. It's a great way to get started if you have trouble quieting your mind.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    some great replies... thank you! OP....glad you asked the question... I've done some but not enough to be very good at explaining a method to you yet.

Youtube came to mind when I read your post and I see someone mentioned that.. Youtube is awesome for so many things!

I'd heard about Walking Meditation but never tried it... I seem to have trouble keeping my thoughts quiet when I meditate, I imagine with practice my thoughts will slow down.

I have tried various methods of breathing that I've really found worked quite well as I was starting out.

EDIT: Just checked out this site tinybuddha.com lovin it! thanks:heart:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been practicing vipassana (insight) meditation for the last 28 years. The practice has and continues to be profoundly transformative.
    Within the tradition in which I practice, one learns the technique by attending a ten-day residential retreat at a course centre. Course finances are purely on a voluntary donation basis.
    If you are interested, and I highly recommend the experience, check out: www.dhamma.org There are in excess of 120 course centres world wide.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have been trying different types of meditation for the last 10 years.
    I like the free Silva guided meditation the best. Here is where you can download for free.
    http://www.silvaultramindsystem.com/products/unlimited
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have been meditating almost everyday since I was 12 years old, I am 31 now.

There are a lot of different kinds of meditation with different purposes and different benefits.

Personally I think people tend to way over complicate something that was always meant to be simple.

Complicated visualization techniques, mental journeys, intense huffing and puffing, long winded sets of mantras, and so on, can all have their place and serve a good purpose but in my experience they are not the most effective or beneficial (at least not on their own)... and they are harder to get good at.

I recommend the following...

- Sit or lay down in a comfortable place
    - Close your eyes (the whole time)
    - Take long, slow, deep, gentle, quiet breathes in through and out your nose (the whole time)
    - Focus on either stillness, the space within you, the space around you, a simple sound ("ahhhh"... "ommmm", etc, don't actually make the sound just imagine it), a simple image (light, a color, yourself, etc), or a simple statement ("I am calm and relaxed. I feel great")

...do that for just a few minutes 1 or 2 times a day. You will find that it is really easy and feels great. The more you do it the more intense and effective it will be.

This will give you an incredible amount of control over your own thoughts and feelings, and therefore your life and the world around you.

From within the state that puts you in you can do lots of great "work"... i.e. problem solving, affirmations, visualizations, etc, with ease and heightened intensity/effectiveness.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Look up John Cabat Zin