Looking for a Heavy Lifting program

Hello everyone.

I am finally joining a gym that has free weights and I am extremely excited but a little overwhelmed. There are a lot of strength training programs out there and I'm not sure which ones would suit my needs the best.

Here's a little background information:

I've been on MFP for a very long time but started to take it seriously in January 2013. I have lost almost 30 pounds and am happy with my progress and will be switching to maintenance very shortly. I am 23 years old, 5'7 female, 149.7lbs and body fat % is approximately 25.5% (I use a handheld Omrom body fat monitor as its the easiest method for the time being). I believe in properly fueling my body, keeping my macros in check and treating myself quite often. I use a BodyMedia armband to track my activity. I do lots of walking and get about 2 hours of walking almost daily. I've progressed through most of the You Are Your Own Gym body weight program before moving to weight machines at my apartment gym. The gym machines are very mediocre and my strength training program consisted of 3 sets of 8 reps, 3 workouts a week.

Workout A
Bench Press Machine
Lateral Row - Pull Down
Lateral Row - Pull Forward
Triceps Extension
Biceps Curl

Workout B
Horizontal Leg Curl
Leg Extension
Leg Press
Back Extensions
Abs Crunch Machine

I don't fell like weight machines are worth the time and effort and my time could be better spent with a free weight program. Squats and dead lifts are a must. I want a program that works the entire body (I am used to separate arm/leg days but workouts that work the entire body each day also work) and is 3-4 workouts a week.

What am I looking to achieve from a strength training program?

1. I am looking to decrease my body fat percentage to 20-22%. I understand calories play a part in this.
2. Build strength - duh! I hate asking my boyfriend to lift things for me.
3. Firmer backside (thighs and tush) and upper arms.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I would look at either AllPro or StrongLifts. As your goal is strength (as well as BF reduction) I would lean towards Stronglifts. Make sure you do a lot of homework about form and start light and build your way up.
  • Also doing stonglifts... :)
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Thank you both.

I started reading the Stronglifts 5x5 so I'll finish that and see if there is a trainer I can use to train me in proper form.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Thank you both.

I started reading the Stronglifts 5x5 so I'll finish that and see if there is a trainer I can use to train me in proper form.

Starting Strength is a really good resource for form ('Summary here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts) . Also, check into this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Thank you both.

Starting Strength is a really good resource for form ('Summary here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts) . Also, check into this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Once again, thank you. I'll take a look at those both now.
  • Im only new at lifting... but what I did was took the program to my gym.. booked a program review told them this is what I want to do.. and he showed me how to do it...
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    I'm starting New Rules of Lifting for Women which was recommended to me by many people on MFP. I just finished up 3 sessions with a personal trainer at my gym to learn proper form. I basically wrote a list of all the things I wanted to learn and she showed me everything. After my vacation this week I will be starting so feel free to add me as a friend - I'm also a newbie to lifting but so far LOVE IT!
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Beach body.com body beast
  • Mjandjt
    Mjandjt Posts: 58 Member
    Bump
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Deadlifts are a must, in my opinion Deadlift > sqauts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 are both good, introductory/beginner strength programs. As was mentioned before, follow the programs and start light (even though it feels like you're being a wuss) and work your way up. You'll be lifting heavy in no time. Do that for some time and then onto a more intermediate program down the road when you start hitting the wall.