Seafood!

Options
One of my most ingrained characteristics is that I hate seafood. However, it's been a few years since I've really given it a chance and I want to try it again. Can you guys give me suggestions on what are the lowest calorie fish and which ones taste the most like/have the most similar consistency to poultry (if any?). I'm determined to find some sort of seafood that I like. Thanks!!

Replies

• Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    The only thing you need to worry about with seafood is the sauce it comes with.Whether it is prawns dipped in mayonnaise or delicious seabass with beurre maitre d'hotel, what will do you in is the sauce. Oh and obviously if it is fried.

Seafood is rather 'inexpensive' calorie wise. Cod for instance has 100 cal for 100 g. It also has wonderful nutrients, and fish like makerel and trout are rich in omega 3.

Seabass, turbot and sole are the 'nicer' fish you can order at restaurants, at least in my neck of the woods. But as you know, there are many fish in the ocean and lots to choose from. If you want to cook a nice fillet at home :
    Wash under water and pat dry with paper towel.
    Lightly press fillet in a mixture of nutrional yeast and flour, or just flour.
    Heat up coconut oil (about 5 g or half a tablespoon) and cook on each side for a couple of minutes. Voilà!
  • karahunts
    karahunts Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    tilapia is very low in calories.. mine say 98 calories per filet, super easy to cook...I don't really think any seafood is really close in texture/consistency to poultry. Maybe go for a nice hearty fish like wahoo (if they have it in your country) or halibut. you probably shouldn't bother with things like shrimp or mussels yet :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Flake or shark is a very un-fishy tasting meat and one of the only ones I would eat when I was a very fussy child.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It's expensive but Swordfish has a slight chicken like texture to it. Shark does too but I won't ever have that now.
  • imch64
    imch64 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with kinmadit, Swordfish and the other one you can try is Marlin with is almost slightly gamey.

Looking great by the way!!!
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-fish.htm

Instead of low cals, high protein is a better marker IMO.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    A proper tuna, shark or swordfish steak!
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I LOVE swai. It doesn't taste "fishy" at all and the texture is very nice and flaky. My son will even eat it, and he doesn't like other types of seafood. He actually calls it "chicken fish" because it has such a neutral flavor.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Tilapia tends to take on the flavor you season with. not too fishy
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is not very good in my opinion and I would not start out with that if you are someone who previously did not like fish. I like salmon, shrimp, crab, tuna, fried clams (YUMYUM) and also scallops. As for having a consistency of poultry, I wouldn't know about that.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone :) I'll definitely be taking a lot of your suggestions!!