125 lbs to 125 lbs, no tone to on my way to becoming toned!

Options
:smile: Hey all. A little background: I work full-time during the day and have a part-time photography business that keeps me busy. I also have 3 children, ages 6, 3, and 2. I do take them with me to the Y every day, sun, rain, or snow, so they play at the childcare center while I workout downstairs.

I joined the Y last October hoping to boost my mood with some workouts and hoping to increase my endurance. I honestly did not think I would see much for results, as my goal was so small. I decided to take some before pics, just in case I happened to see a difference, and I am so glad I did. At first I started off swimming laps a few days a week and I realized that I needed to up my endurance, so then I started doing the elliptical trainer and a little bit of the weight machines. ETA: I am 5'7 1/2" tall.

Fast forward to January of 2013. I wasn't happy that I really wasn't seeing results so I went from going to the gym 2-3 days a week to going 6 days a week (some days 7). I did MOSTLY elliptical work at this point, with a little bit of strength training thrown in.

In June, I started a new workout routine with the help of my coach -- MORE strength training, less cardio (alternating days of strength training working different muscle groups with straight cardio the next day).

I know so many others on here are so inspiring and have lost a great deal of weight and I am so proud, but I just wanted to share my small success because I see and feel the results and was happy to go from having basically no tone to being a lot more toned.

I really discovered myself (sounds cliche), breaking barriers I never knew I would. I did not, for instance, think I would enjoy strength training but I LOVE it! I enjoy feeling myself getting stronger, pushing myself every day, and feeling amazing after every workout.

So here are my results. I was the same weight before as I am now, but I did lose 2.5 inches off my waist (I'm not real consistent at measuring elsewhere). Clothes that were fine on me a year ago are falling off of me now, so yay for some new, fun wardrobe pieces!

(PS, I had to set my camera up kind-of shooting up for the 2nd pics, so it sort-of looks like it's shot from below and it is just slightly, but I think you should still be able to see the difference):

1yearfrontcompare_zps4c7d76df.jpg

1yearsidecompare_zps38bae87f.jpg

1yearrearcompare_zps41cc60f0.jpg

abscompare1yr_zpsdd95aa4b.jpg

A year ago, untoned arms:
momandme_zpsf27be47f.jpg

Now:
0823131306-00_zpsb9618b4f.jpg

beach_zps065b246a.jpg

Thank you to all of my friends on here for helping me out when I had questions and for being supportive and cheering me on. This is a lifetime commitment for me, and I look forward to maintaining, learning new things, and cheering the rest of you on. Hope I didn't bore you all. LOL :happy:

Replies

• spammarino
    spammarino Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ah, a fellow photographer....nice rim lighting :)
    And great results! Keep up the hard work!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Way to go!!! You look great!!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I think it is so wonderful that you posted your success story. The stories where people have lost a lot of weight are very inspiring, but I find your post to be just as inspiring. Shows what some strength training can do on the outside, and what we can't see is the benefits for the inside. And your smile in the after photo says it all - you feel good!
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is a great example of why using weight to track progress isn't everything. Well done!

It would be great if MFP had the option for us to choose other measures to use as our goal tracker, eg. waist, body fat%, lean muscle mass etc.

I'm in a similar boat to SarahBeth - my weight has hardly changed at all over the past 9 months of being back in the gym, yet I've come in 3 belt loops around the waist - because muscle weighs more than fat.
  • lazytolight
    lazytolight Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's incredible. You've done very well and you look so happy and confident!

On a random side note (and hopefully not too creepy), are you from Minnesota? The skyline in the lake picture looks really similar to a beach a couple miles from where I live.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! :)
    Wow, that's incredible. You've done very well and you look so happy and confident!

On a random side note (and hopefully not too creepy), are you from Minnesota? The skyline in the lake picture looks really similar to a beach a couple miles from where I live.

Haha, yep! That's the Mississippi River. Grew up in MN and live in WI, but right on the border.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great and strong!
  • arouse0930
    Options
    It's nice to see people with small goals make progress too. You look fantastic. I hope once I get to my goal, I'm then able to tone.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much for posting this, I don't have tons to lose either but I DO want to be more toned.

It makes such a difference - you look leaner, younger, and simply in great shape.

Now I'm inspired. :-) xx
  • sdkyne
    sdkyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Very strong and compact. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    LOVE this! This is my reason to keep going with my strength training even though my scale isn't moving much!!
  • Camo_Man
    Camo_Man Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    As your coach I am thrilled by the results but it doesn't mean anything if you didn't have the desire and the willpower to change what you were doing before and to see you advance and grow not just physically but emotionally and see you strong fromw ithin makes it all worthwhile. I showed you the exercises and the routine but you did the work and you made it happen despite being a mom of 3 and having no time and to make time for this. I am truly inspired and lucky to have a 'steudent' and friend like you that inspires me back and makes me want to continue when I feel like giving up as well.
    I'm so glad I could help and you are getting the results you have wanted.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    As your coach I am thrilled by the results but it doesn't mean anything if you didn't have the desire and the willpower to change what you were doing before and to see you advance and grow not just physically but emotionally and see you strong fromw ithin makes it all worthwhile. I showed you the exercises and the routine but you did the work and you made it happen despite being a mom of 3 and having no time and to make time for this. I am truly inspired and lucky to have a 'steudent' and friend like you that inspires me back and makes me want to continue when I feel like giving up as well.
    I'm so glad I could help and you are getting the results you have wanted.

:blushing: Aw, I can never thank you enough. I wouldn't have even known where to start if it wouldn't have been for you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Camo_Man
    Camo_Man Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well, don't get too comfy cause in a couple weeks your routine changes again :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha! Love that last comment... weight training is really helping me too. A long way to go but seeing results. I have a good trainer who is encouraging without making me do stupid things and I have confidence in her.... To the OP, your photos are amazing!
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Amazing results! You are an inspiration! :happy:
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    Well, don't get too comfy cause in a couple weeks your routine changes again :flowerforyou: :laugh:

:laugh: LOL!! I look forward to the challenge. :smile: :wink:
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    Thank you all. You are all too kind. Would you have ever guessed that I did zero sports in high school and I had zero confidence in myself to do anything physical? Now I do weights and feel confident and it's just so great. It does as much mentally for me as it does physically.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I see a great difference!!!! Weight training rocks!! Good job!

I also did ZERO sports (was a skinny band nerd) in high school, I feel all bad @ss when I do those heavy squats and deads! Plus I definitely feel like an athlete! Its a wonderful thing, huh!
  • itzehoe
    itzehoe Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    WOW - GREAT!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!