Will a 15 pounds weight loss be noticeable?

Options
weightliftinggirl
weightliftinggirl Posts: 45 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello,

I am 5'5" and weight right around 160 (I fluctuate from 157 to 162). Do you think a 15 pound weight loss would be noticeable? Would my clothes fit looser? Or would I look and feel about the same? My immediate goal (for the next eight weeks or so) is to get down to 142 pounds then go from there. I guess I just can't imagine what a fifteen pound weight loss looks like.

Thank you!

Replies

• KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I've lost 16 pounds and I've noticed a difference in my my thighs and my pants are more loose.
  • ilovemilkymoos
    ilovemilkymoos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Given your height/stature/weight you will notice a 15lb weight loss.

Thats nearly 10% of your total body mass.

For someone that say...280lbs, 15lbs will be less noticable but at 160lbs - 15lbs will make a huge difference!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am 5'5" and weight right around 160 (I fluctuate from 157 to 162). Do you think a 15 pound weight loss would be noticeable? Would my clothes fit looser? Or would I look and feel about the same? My immediate goal (for the next eight weeks or so) is to get down to 142 pounds then go from there. I guess I just can't imagine what a fifteen pound weight loss looks like.

Thank you!

Absolutely! At least, for me it showed. I've lost 20 lbs and some of my pants are extremely loose.
  • weightliftinggirl
    Options
    Awesome!! Thank you so much for the quick replies! My college track coach told me I'm fat and need to lose weight so I am trying really hard to make it happen. I want him to notice that I'm not a failure and that I can do this so I become a better athlete!
  • StephenKTHill
    Options
    I think it totally dependent on the person and their body/body type. I've lost 20 pounds and do not notice a thing. However, my life has lost and it is very noticeable. Nonetheless, good luck!
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Thank you!

Yes
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    As a friend of mine told me, everybody notices a 20 pound weight loss!!

As for 15 pound weight loss, you will notice your clothes fit and feel better, even your bra!!!

Hang in there and go for it!!!

Just do it!!

Good luck on your weight loss journey!!!
  • ilovemilkymoos
    ilovemilkymoos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    He sounds like a ****!

MFP will help you to track and be aware of your nutritional and calorie intake, so getting in shape is managable.
    You should be doing it for yourself tho, not some *kitten* coach!
  • Riggers1612
    Riggers1612 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been on this 2 weeks and have lost 8 lb and I can notice, when wearing certain cloths
  • weightliftinggirl
    Options
    Yeah his comments have really upset me. I just want to get small and fit so he stops badgering me about it. It's one thing to look in the mirror and be unsatisfied, but completely another thing to have your coach tell you you're fat.... So I'm eating 1,200 calories a day or less, and lifting weights around 90 minutes five+ times a week, and running around three days a week. I need to make this happen! I hope I can lose 15 pounds in 8 weeks.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Yeah his comments have really upset me. I just want to get small and fit so he stops badgering me about it. It's one thing to look in the mirror and be unsatisfied, but completely another thing to have your coach tell you you're fat.... So I'm eating 1,200 calories a day or less, and lifting weights around 90 minutes five+ times a week, and running around three days a week. I need to make this happen! I hope I can lose 15 pounds in 8 weeks.

be careful that you are eating enough..under eating will not do you any favors long term..
  • mtynester
    Options
    Sometimes it takes awhile for weight to shift, but it will. I am really concerned that a coach of any sport would call a player "fat". It is not supportive nor is it correct. Do not let anyone else define your body image. If you are healthy and play your sports I bet you are in excellent shape. If you gained the freshman 15, losing that won't hurt, just stay true to yourself. :)
  • weightliftinggirl
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

How do you know if you're eating enough? I guess I've just been trying to eat as little as possible of healthy foods, fruits and vegetables. I never really thought about not eating enough.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

How do you know if you're eating enough? I guess I've just been trying to eat as little as possible of healthy foods, fruits and vegetables. I never really thought about not eating enough.

well u should never go below 1200...and depending on activity level that may not be enough..just be careful!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm 5'8" and that's a diff of about 15 lbs in my prof pic.
  • weightliftinggirl
    Options
    Ill make sure I eat 1200 calories a day then. And wow you look great! You can see a big difference!!

Thank you everyone, hopefully I can get results fairly quickly with hard work and dedication!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    To you yes a lot. To others not as obvious. But looking at your numbers they are fairly low so others should notice it.
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think you will notice it , that will be enough to get you super motivated to keep going. Well that's what i found, once i started losing it , it became well , addictive. Remember it's YOU that it matters to, eventually others will notice, and that's empowering too. Good luck and go hard!
  • 123im4u2c
    Options
    I think you coach needs a lesson in learning how to be tactful, instead of tactless! What an ignoramus! :huh: :explode:
    In a position that is suppose to increase your confidence, and self esteem my grade for him/her would be an F!
    F stands for failure to do a proper job in a proper manner! If it were me I would report the hostility. :angry:

As for your question a 15 lb drop will surely be noticeable to you and others as well! clothes will be loose, and that will
    be what's most noticeable besides the slimming of your face. when we lose weight we lose it everywhere not just in one spot.
    There is no such thing as spot training, and don't ever let anyone try to tell you there is! That 15 lbs you lose will be spread out all over your body. When you lose it, kill your coach with kindness when you are told how good you look! That sounds like something your coach is apt to say, and if he/she does... Just smile and say really?, I haven't really noticed, but Thanks! Don't let that person think that they got to you, and that's why you've lost weight! Never let em see you sweat!!! LOL!!!! Now go for it!!!! You can do it, and anything else you put your mind to! :flowerforyou: Lynda N.J.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm 5'5" and started at 217, and people noticed when I'd lost 15 pounds. I'm at 167 now and they notice when I lose 5 pounds. The smaller you get, the sooner your weight loss will be noticed.
This discussion has been closed.