OMG, I cooked coffee for the first time in my life today!

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
To preface: I drink tea. I drink an awful lot of tea. And water. Coffee is yucky. And then I every now and then had a cup from a streetstall somewhere in the Balkans, or on the Arabian peninsular. And actually, it's quite nice: strong, creamy and rather rich in sediment.

So today I went to a wee Turkish shop around the corner and bought a Turkish coffee pot for my stove, and Syrian coffee with a hint of cardamom. First attempt wasn't super successful as I used too much water, but it was quite nice! Funny effect: My Garmin watch decided that my heartrate went down afterwards and that I was more relaxed. :D I think I could drink this more often.

Replies

• PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing! I love coffee and cardamom.
  • yirara
    Options
    Second attempt now is more successful! I think I could still use a bit more coffee powder, but it's actually really tasty :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    This speaks to me. Not the making and liking coffee part but the making something and it tasting ok (and not killing me) part :)
  • yirara
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    This speaks to me. Not the making and liking coffee part but the making something and it tasting ok (and not killing me) part :)

LOL! Not killing me is brilliant :D
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Oh this sounds so good! Cardamom in coffee… must try! Coffee ☕️ lover here. (A bit too much!) 😉
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I've been doing unsweetened cocoa, cinnamon, and cayenne (ground hot pepper if it's not called cayenne in places other than the U.S.) as the additive to my coffee for a while, but this reminds me I like cardamom in my coffee, so I may switch it up.

I realize you probably don't mean you literally "cooked" your coffee, but for anyone who might take it literally -- don't "cook" your coffee -- you just want the hot water to extract the flavor from the grounds, then keep it hot through insulation, not the continued application of external heat.
  • yirara
    Options
    Well, I probably boiled the water as my stove is rather annoying: if you put a tiny pot onto it the heating constantly switches off and on. Thus getting hot, inflused water is not easy. I just put it on and return a few minutes later, then let it rest for the powder to settle and pour into a small glass. Works well enough and is tasty.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Best coffee ever was when our mini-bus driver unexpectedly took us to his home outside Batumi, and his wife and mother served us Turkish coffee and homemade pastry.

I’ve often thought about trying to make it. I’ll keep my ears peeled for any tips you have.

I just took up drinking coffee at all a couple
    of years ago. Aeropress is 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Sheer genius design.
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh yes, exactly that's how I make my coffee. It's just a simple metal pot, a tablespoon full of very find ground powder, water, then heat up/boil on stove top, let it rest for the powder to sink to the bottom and then serve in whatever kitsch-y small cup or old glass you have. Still trying to find the right amount of powder and the right cooking length, but I do enjoy this. Plus, for some reason my heartrate goes down after a cuppa and Garmin tells me I'm more relaxed :D