Applebees steamed broccoli 100 calories?

Options
Why would a serving of steamed broccoli from Applebees be 100 calories but when I just plug in steamed broccoli it’s 35 calories for a serving?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Because restaurants smother their vegetables in butter. The restaurants includes butter, but the "steamed" does not.
  • courtneycoble77
    courtneycoble77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I didn’t taste butter on the broccoli 🤷‍♀️ but yeah I guess that makes sense
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was just going to come on and say probably the butter.

Broccoli is delicious just as it is - I'd hate to waste 100 kcal on unnecessary fats.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It could be worse. According to Texas Roadhouse's nutrition guide, a side order of their steamed broccoli is 210 calories and has 16 grams of fat. 16 grams!!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Agree it's probably butter (or maybe olive oil), but just want to point out that comparing a random database entry for "one serving" of broccoli to a restaurant's info on "one serving" of its broccoli means you're comparing one unknown quantity of broccoli to another unknown quantity of broccoli, so it's already surprising the calories would be different.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an article on this! They included the nutrition info…

Applebee's Steamed Broccoli
    Ingredients
    A Steamed Broccoli from Applebee's contains the following ingredients:

Broccoli: Broccoli, Whipped Butter: Pasteurized Cream, Salt, Seasoning: Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic*, Soybean Oil *Dehydrated
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an article on this! They included the nutrition info…

Applebee's Steamed Broccoli
    Ingredients
    A Steamed Broccoli from Applebee's contains the following ingredients:

Broccoli: Broccoli, Whipped Butter: Pasteurized Cream, Salt, Seasoning: Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic*, Soybean Oil *Dehydrated

And here I always wondered why vegetables taste so much better at a restaurant 🤣 I've been doing it all wrong.