Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

DNA testing kits

Options
ddsb1111
ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
edited July 2023 in Debate Club
We find ourselves in a precarious moment in time. Secrets surrounding identity have existed since the start of humanity.

In 1954, a court ruled that donor insemination constituted adultery on the part of the woman, whether or not the husband had granted consent. Nine years earlier, TIME ran a story about the legal status of donor conceived children with the title Artificial B*a*S*t*a*r*D’s? Records were coded then destroyed. Sperm donors were guaranteed anonymity. It seemed fail safe that the procedure would remain forever a secret. The idea of a future in which DNA results would become easily accessible through a popular test would have been unimaginable.

Now advances in the field of assisted reproduction are also far beyond what we could have imagined. In vitro fertilization, surrogacy, donor eggs, cryogenic technology and the capacity to test embryos for genetic markers have allowed many of us, straight or gay, married or single, to make families. And that’s a great thing, but it isn’t a simple thing (in my opinion). Though science has evolved at a rapid rate, the human capacity to understand and wisely use those advances has limped along.

People lived and died without ever knowing the truth about themselves. But now, because of the combination of DNA testing and the Internet, those secrets are pouring out. At some point in the not too distant future, the idea that such secrets of identity were ever kept will seem unbelievable.

Where do your personal feelings lie in the scope of DNA testing kits? What stories do you have? What will the consequences be if we don’t have long term scientifically controlled studies on the psychological and emotional effects of donor conception? And what changes will these testing kits bring to our own family secrets?

Ultimately, do you avoid knowing or do you take a peak at what’s inside?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,957 Member
    Options
    Well, I worked at a DNA lab for a few years...the genie is out of the bottle, so we have no choice but to live with it. I feel like honesty is always the best route, regardless of fallout.

There have been many criminal cases solved by mining the info on online DNA databases so that is one way it has benefited society.

As an aside, I think every parent should get a DNA test done as soon as their child is born. Better to know for sure right away in my opinion...for so many reasons, lots of which I never even considered before I worked at that lab.
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    Well, I worked at a DNA lab for a few years...the genie is out of the bottle, so we have no choice but to live with it. I feel like honesty is always the best route, regardless of fallout.

There have been many criminal cases solved by mining the info on online DNA databases so that is one way it has benefited society.

As an aside, I think every parent should get a DNA test done as soon as their child is born. Better to know for sure right away in my opinion...for so many reasons, lots of which I never even considered before I worked at that lab.

The Golden State Killer was one such criminal. I believe he was a retired officer? My theory was always that he was an officer or in the military, he just knew too much.

If you go down the rabbit hole of Reddit you’ll find DNA testing kits have completely altered the perception of their seemingly perfect families. Whether it was from stepping out of the relationship, saying you don’t know the father when you do, not knowing the father (due to choice or a criminal offense), or pretending to be the biological parent knowing that wasn’t the case, the truth will set you free.

I’m entirely for the transparency of these services. However, not everyone is, especially when the truth effects them and blows a nuclear hole in their family. But the fact of the matter is, things will never be the same. Even if you choose not to know it’s likely someone in your family will and you’ll find out anyway.

I’m fairly certain my family isn’t who they say they are. Do I want to know the truth? Yes. Am I able to handle the fall out? Yes. Am I ready to buy the kit and put the question to rest? No. Not yet.
  • ddsb1111
    edited July 2023
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I am for DNA testing. It's not only solved cases that were buried for decades, but helping people find out who their real parents are, locating a lost sibling because of adoption, or learning about your relatives from places of origin are really helpful.
    I also think it can expose some people claiming to be of a certain heritage for political or monetary gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It certainly exposed the fertility doctor that inseminated dozens of patients with his own product without their knowledge or consent. He was 79 years old at the time of his conviction. He received a one year suspended sentence, a $500 fine, and served no prison time. They’re saying he fathered over 600 people so far. There’s currently no law or real legal ramifications for a doctor doing this to his patients.

*Correction- Cline likely fathered over 100 children. It was Bertold Paul Wiesner FRSE who fathered over 600.*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I am for DNA testing. It's not only solved cases that were buried for decades, but helping people find out who their real parents are, locating a lost sibling because of adoption, or learning about your relatives from places of origin are really helpful.
    I also think it can expose some people claiming to be of a certain heritage for political or monetary gain.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It certainly exposed the fertility doctor that inseminated dozens of patients with his own product without their knowledge or consent. He was 79 years old at the time of his conviction. He received a one year suspended sentence, a $500 fine, and served no prison time. They’re saying he fathered over 600 people so far. There’s currently no law or real legal ramifications for a doctor doing this to his patients.
    Yeah, with new info new laws will be instituted to combat some abuses. They did that once technology happened where people were tracking other people for stalking purposes.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    Over 50 years ago, I adopted a beautiful baby girl of European, Native Hawaiian, and SE African ancestry. My case worker at the adoption agency paired us because of the Hawaiian connection, my birthplace. A recent DNA test showed my daughter has no Native Hawaiian ancestry. I'm grateful for everything that facilitated the placement of this amazing human in my home. We were meant to be ohana.
    It's great that you have a wonderful connection to your daughter. I have an adopted sister and we are also tight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,175 Member
    Options
    I'm suspicious of all of my weird relatives, I'm considering getting one just to help solve anything that needs solving. Additionally my 20s happened and though I'm 99.99% certain, their is a 00.01% chance some person could be hoping to call me out for past indiscretions.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

This! DNA evidence has also been used to exonerate criminals who were falsely convicted.

My only experience is with buying one of those ancestry test kits, mainly for some health markers that it would test for. All they knew about me is that I am a middle-aged woman living in Canada and the result was my ancestry is 99.8% right from the district where I was born (I'm an immigrant). Guess my ancestors didn't move around much. Since I only have one living relative now it would be cool to find some distant family members but so far the DNA matches have been very weak.
  • joandumas42
    joandumas42 Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    My mother, who was born in 1905 in England, was illegitimate; but her mother would not tell her who her father was. Now many years later, my sister and I had DNA tests done through Ancestry and found an Englishman whose DNA marks him as a second cousin of ours. On searching the Census records, we found that my grandmother worked as a domestic servant in that man's parents' home. In 1905, he was 27 years old and single. Probably?? Very interesting for sure.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    We used a dna test to pinpoint the area of Mexico where my wife's mother's family is most likely from. My wife, it turns out, is descended from one of the native Mexican tribes that never intermingled with the Europeans.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I tested my dna after my son had tested his. It’s kind of fun to compare. Then, I bought a kit for my husband and tested his because I always wondered about his heritage. Well, the results showed I was completely wrong about my husband’s heritage, and he just couldn’t have cared less. He has no interest . Still, it can be interesting as here is a great deal of cultural information available if you dig into it.
    I did find out that Grandma’s whispered, family secret was probably true. I am part Asian, which happens to be uplifting since 5 of my grandchildren are mixed race. (Asian).
    DNA tests can be fun, and can be scary, especially the health part, but I think they’re wonderful to have in this day and age to catch criminals. Women, and girls have something on their side to back them up if they’re assaulted.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I’ve done genealogical dna testing as a hobby..

I think information is power.. i hope testing in the future becomes more accessible and able to use to combat illness.. I.e. I’ve had friends do genetic testing to find whether they carry the BRCA gene for cancer… hope strides are made in this field primarily regarding accuracy regarding risk assessment and preventative measures.

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I think the DNA testing sounds interesting, especially since I have an interest in genealogy. I have records that trace my family back to 1692 in North America and two generations before that in Scotland, so it would be neat to see if the biology reflects the records. However, I just can't accept the lack of data privacy involved. They may keep your actual DNA private (unless you allow your DNA to be used in "research"), but any other information you provide is not necessarily protected. The categories of data use are generally wide and non-specific. And I'd have to pay for the privilege of putting my information at risk.

I'll just stay curious.
  • ddsb1111
    edited July 2023
    Options
    The medical data alone is worth taking the test. There was a lovely woman that took it for fun with her family and later discovered her father wasn’t biological. Aside from being incredibly upset and frustrated by the lies being told to her her entire life she also could have treated and prevented illnesses she had due to the lack of medical knowledge and awareness.

I can’t imagine how it must have been for people living in a time with so much stigma and shame but I’m relieved all the secrets are coming to the surface. People have a right to know who they are and where they came from.
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    I'm suspicious of all of my weird relatives, I'm considering getting one just to help solve anything that needs solving. Additionally my 20s happened and though I'm 99.99% certain, their is a 00.01% chance some person could be hoping to call me out for past indiscretions.

Ha! That’s a great attitude. You sound like an exceptionally reasonable “surprise” relative 😊.
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    My mother, who was born in 1905 in England, was illegitimate; but her mother would not tell her who her father was. Now many years later, my sister and I had DNA tests done through Ancestry and found an Englishman whose DNA marks him as a second cousin of ours. On searching the Census records, we found that my grandmother worked as a domestic servant in that man's parents' home. In 1905, he was 27 years old and single. Probably?? Very interesting for sure.

Agreed, very interesting indeed! Thank you for sharing. I do hope if the extended family meets you give us an update.
  • ddsb1111
    edited July 2023
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I think the DNA testing sounds interesting, especially since I have an interest in genealogy. I have records that trace my family back to 1692 in North America and two generations before that in Scotland, so it would be neat to see if the biology reflects the records. However, I just can't accept the lack of data privacy involved. They may keep your actual DNA private (unless you allow your DNA to be used in "research"), but any other information you provide is not necessarily protected. The categories of data use are generally wide and non-specific. And I'd have to pay for the privilege of putting my information at risk.

I'll just stay curious.

Fair criticism of the test. Apparently we can’t have it both ways can we? Your history sounds particularly intriguing so it would be validating to compare but I understand your privacy concerns as well.