How do you stay at your sugar but still eat the carbs?

Options
How do you stay under or at your sugars and yet still get all or most of the carbs in per day? I know that the recommended sugar is around 25-30 for women, but my carb recommendation is something like 175ish.

What does a day of meals look where someone can achieve both of these numbers?

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I dont. It is virtually impossible for me even if I eat nothing but fruits and veggies all day.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I can't help you...I go over on sugar pretty much all the time & it doesn't even have to be junk (fruit, yogurt, vanilla almond milk). I finally changed my settings to show me fiber instead of sugar.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'm understanding the question. Bread, pasta potatoes and rice are all common foods that are very high in carbs with very little sugar.
  • undrznith
    undrznith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie in the mornings a lot lately with a banana, half an avocado, a cup of milk, flax meal, and a tablespoon of raw honey. I consider it pretty dang healthy. It, however, has 61 carbs, 11 of which are fiber and 37 are sugar. That puts me over 30 grams at the start of my day. Logged what I will probably eat tomorrow and for the whole day it says I will be at 54 for sugar and 145 for carbs. Good enough for me! Today was way more sugar because I made hot chocolate, sweetened only with honey, and had my smoothie. Shot me way up. Oh well! :) I say eff it and just do your best to limit it as much as possible.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I only focus on added sugar, not sugar from fruits or milk.
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I kind of think this aspect of MFP is broken. I was curious and looked at a report on my sugar consumption over the past 90 days. The ONE day I did not exceed in sugar but did meet carbs was ridiculous: cheese and coffee for breakfast, fries and beer for lunch, and beer and pretzels for dinner. Lolzzz. Clearly a day of stellar nutrition. Yet a day of eating blueberries, an apple, almond milk, etc. would put me over the limit very quickly.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'm understanding the question. Bread, pasta potatoes and rice are all common foods that are very high in carbs with very little sugar.
    Those are all things I gave up for almost 8 months going paleo. I'd much rather eat carbs like raspberries and carrots - but those have high sugar.
    I'm not doing paleo this month, but I am still not going to be eating corn or wheat.
    It seems silly for MFP to have such a low sugar amount and high carb count- I don't see how eating several servings of the foods you mentioned would be nutritionally superior to natural sugars found in produce.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad to see it's not just me, then! :)
    I've never really looked or cared too much about those numbers, but lately the sugar number has been bothering me. I like the idea of focusing on fiber instead..