62 year old female Graves Disease

Options
camie6
camie6 Posts: 6 Member
Hi, I’m not quite new to MFP but I am new to Graves Disease. I was diagnosed in December after visit to ER with very fast resting heart rate. Diagnosed and then put in beta blocker and Methimazole. I have gained 14 LB in about 5 months!! I am 5’5” and 163 lbs. my normal weight is about 146. Graves is an evil mind blowing problem but enough about that. The drug Methimazole basically shuts down your metabolism SO it’s very hard to lose weight. I’ve had success with Keto but it’s too drastic for Graves so now I’m thinking just low carb and counting calories. Graves makes you very edgy and anxious AND exhausted! Anybody have ANY suggestions for helping me get out of this weight gain cycle?? Thx!

Replies

• cherylstum
    cherylstum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the opposite issue. I have Hoshimotos and then had Thyroid Cancer. I had my thyroid removed about 20 years ago. I also struggle with unwanted weight gain and exhaustion. Due to the cancer, they keep my TSH below normal giving me hyperthyroid symptoms. What works best for me (although many of us share the same symptoms, the solutions or bandaids don't work for everyone). It is through trial and error that I have found what works for me. My doctors have been very pleased. Lifting light weights three times a week and swimming or using the elliptical 3 times a week has allowed me to sleep better, have more energy, and take the weight off. Although I am not on the same medications, I have found I have to use my body to fight my symptoms. The light weights help build muscle which helps metabolism. I've also cut way back on sugar - I love sugar. :) I am 51 years old and have been dealing with these symptoms for a long time. I hope you can find something that works and some encouragement to keep looking for answers.
  • camie6
    Options
    Funny you mention Hashimoto’s… I was diagnosed with that when I was 35 and put on synthroid when I was peri menopausal. I “flipped” from Hashimoto’s to Graves which I guess can happen. I would rather go back to Hashi’s at this point. I’m able to do normal life. I’ve also been told you can have Hashimoto’s and Graves…ugh. Thank you for your input!! I have to get more strength from something right now!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    camie6 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m not quite new to MFP but I am new to Graves Disease. I was diagnosed in December after visit to ER with very fast resting heart rate. Diagnosed and then put in beta blocker and Methimazole. I have gained 14 LB in about 5 months!! I am 5’5” and 163 lbs. my normal weight is about 146. Graves is an evil mind blowing problem but enough about that. The drug Methimazole basically shuts down your metabolism SO it’s very hard to lose weight. I’ve had success with Keto but it’s too drastic for Graves so now I’m thinking just low carb and counting calories. Graves makes you very edgy and anxious AND exhausted! Anybody have ANY suggestions for helping me get out of this weight gain cycle?? Thx!

I think it's important to not take on a victim mentality about it. I have Graves, have had it since childhood. I was on methimazole for years until a few years ago I had my thyroid radiated. I want to be really straightforward, because I want you to know that you really can do this. Methimazole does not "shut down your metabolism". It brings it back down to a human level. You were running a marathon 24/7. Now you're not. But, you body is most likely used to eating like it's still running a marathon. Your body will readjust. But it takes work and monitoring.
  • camie6
    Options
    Thx! I so get the victim thing!! Now that my numbers are under control I’m feeling like I’m finally up to fighting to be my normal self and pull up out of this rut!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    camie6 wrote: »
    Thx! I so get the victim thing!! Now that my numbers are under control I’m feeling like I’m finally up to fighting to be my normal self and pull up out of this rut!

You've got this. And remember, give yourself some grace. Like I said, before you were on medication, your body thought it was running a marathon 24/7 and it needs to recover from that. The weight on the scale is a small thing compared to how much healthier your body will be now. If you've never watched Stephanie Buttermore and her journey with All In on YouTube, it might be helpful.