Lifting and Breathing

Options
Breathing at the gym. This sounds like such a stupid question , but it is becoming an issue for me and I need suggestions.

I’ve done yoga for years and have always focused on slow yogic breathing. I have no breathing issues whatsoever during a challenging power class, because I’m so accustomed to linking breath to movement.

I asked my new trainer at the gym to challenge me and she’s stepped up to the plate.

But, in the gym setting, I habitually drop into the yogic breathing, since it’s habit now, and normally “powers me through”, but it is not working for the gym any more. I’m experiencing dizziness more and more and I know it’s due to inappropriate breathing.

I focus so hard on the breathing out during the “push” part of a move that I feel like I’m not getting enough oxygen in, even when I focus on it, hence the dizziness.

It’s gotten worse as we move up to higher weights.

It’s not a heart condition or anything medical. I just can’t seem to suck in adequate oxygen.

I also have a hard time doing quicker reps because I’m so darn used to slow breaths. In yoga, fast breathing is called “fire breath” and is used to build heat, so if we do faster reps and I breath in sync with them, I equate it to fire breath. I feel like my body is getting stressed out.

Is this even making sense?

What’s a good breath technique for the gym?

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    You've already identified exhaling during the "push" phase of a lifting movement (i.e. working against gravity). What may help is working next on the TEMPO of your lifting. Unless your trainer is wanting you to lift quickly, try slowing down.

For light weights, slow the movement down from "move the weight up as quickly as possible" to a 3 second cadence. Breathe in time with this cadence.

For heavier weights, I don't suggest slowing the movement down any, but take an extra moment between reps. If I'm squatting a heavy weight, after I finish a rep and am once again standing, I will take a moment to breathe in and out twice before I start the next rep. This doesn't work as well for certain moves like bench press where you are holding a weight above you and thus don't want to overly fatigue your arms and risk dropping the weight on your head/chest, but try it for leg movements.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Inhale on the eccentric part of the exercise. So if it's a curl, inhale through your diaphragm on the "down" portion, then as you curl up, exhale as normal.
    As mentioned, if you can cadence your reps, it's easier to get into a breathing motion that follows it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks since your replies really trying to work on the breathing.

I always do slow reps anyway, again, because of my “yogic” breathing habits. I just have long slow breaths. Maybe being a woodwind player for years contributes lol.

I’ve noticed that I often forcibly release a lot more air on exhales than I take in on inhales, more of a “Pilates style breathing through a straw” mechanic. I’m trying to stop that, too.

I’ve caught myself holding my breath on the inhale, while still expelling the little that’s left on the next exhale.

It’s the things I struggle with, or find painful that are the hardest to maintain breath: knee extensions, assisted chin-ups, standing/bent flies. No problem with breathing on other things. Which tells me right there which exercises I need to work on. 😅

It’s getting a wee bit better.

I try to treat every gym session as a new learning opportunity. Sometimes you get an A+, sometimes ya gotta be satisfied with a C.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks since your replies really trying to work on the breathing.

I always do slow reps anyway, again, because of my “yogic” breathing habits. I just have long slow breaths. Maybe being a woodwind player for years contributes lol.

I’ve noticed that I often forcibly release a lot more air on exhales than I take in on inhales, more of a “Pilates style breathing through a straw” mechanic. I’m trying to stop that, too.

I’ve caught myself holding my breath on the inhale, while still expelling the little that’s left on the next exhale.

It’s the things I struggle with, or find painful that are the hardest to maintain breath: knee extensions, assisted chin-ups, standing/bent flies. No problem with breathing on other things. Which tells me right there which exercises I need to work on. 😅

It’s getting a wee bit better.

I try to treat every gym session as a new learning opportunity. Sometimes you get an A+, sometimes ya gotta be satisfied with a C.
    Knee extensions- exhale as you rise to extended position
    Assisted pullups- exhale on the way up
    Flyes- exhale as your raise them up

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    Standard rule of lifting: if an exercise is hard, there's probably a reason, and often it's because the specific muscles being worked are weaker. The natural inclination is to avoid exercises which are hard, but if you can grit your way through, the improvements will amaze you, and often bleed over into other areas of fitness you may not expect. When I first started doing squats I HATED them, but through perseverance, not only did they eventually become among my favorite lifts, but improving my squat ended up also improving my bench press.

Note that the above paragraph applies to exercises which you find hard, not which you find painful. You may still need to just work through the pain, but that's for you, your doctor, and your trainer to determine, not some bloke online.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I know. None better lol. I haven’t told my trainer I’m kinda liking weighted split squats now. My little secret. I piss and moan as per usual but they’re getting enjoyable.

Chin-ups I want to keep working because I’m taking a flying trapeze class (lifelong dream) soon and figure those will help.

Knee extensions, I’ve gone up in weight a couple of times, but I can’t think of anything that would ever make me like them, other than handing me a butter cream cupcake on each rep.
  • lajo
    lajo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a great episode on breathing and training on the Huberman Lab podcast with Dr Andy Galpin. He also has an entire episode on how breathing can reduce stress and everything breath related. Enjoy!