Instagram helpful or harmful?

Options
Do you find it helps you to look at fitness related content on Instagram or do you find it has a negative impact or causes feelings of inadequacy.

Instagram helpful or harmful? 6 votes

Instagram fitness content helps me.
33%
beckee75SafariGalNYC 2 votes
Instagram fitness content makes me feelne
66%
bethinelamakanacapellocullenjennifer_knitsMovinNow 4 votes

Replies

• MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The second option is supposed to say feel negatively about myself, but it won't let me edit it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    My opinion:
    PRO:
    Instagram has helped to get more young people into the gym and work on their fitness because they want to post about it.

CON: Instagram also ends up being a pain in the *kitten* because so many people are filming themselves working out that they are taking up more time on equipment.

My other issue with instagram is that it just seems people NEED to have validation these days for what they do. How they percieve their social status sets their mood and attitude. Times are a lot different now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that the vast majority of successful influencers are either not natural, or weren't natural before. If they offer good advice and entertainment, great, but don't expect to look like them if you're natural.

The ones hoping to be influencers are even worse. They may be promoting dumb exercises just trying to be different, or wasting peoples time in the gym with cameras recording sets almost nobody will ever watch, or looking for gotchas.

• MurphmomSparkles
    Options
    Wonderful insights, thank you!

@AnnPT77 that video was great.

I feel like you can sort of tell when someone is trying to attract attention based on their physical appearance instead of their knowledge/information if you look for the signs.

Too bad there is so much snake oil and quackery in the fitness industry and the amateurs who are giving poor advice.

I do really appreciate the quality free content professionals are taking the trouble to put up.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    You have to remember that the vast majority of successful influencers are either not natural, or weren't natural before. If they offer good advice and entertainment, great, but don't expect to look like them if you're natural.

The ones hoping to be influencers are even worse. They may be promoting dumb exercises just trying to be different, or wasting peoples time in the gym with cameras recording sets almost nobody will ever watch, or looking for gotchas.
    Martial arts one's are the most entertainment. Especially all the knife defenses I've seen lately.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• MurphmomSparkles
    Options
    Wonderful insights @springlering62
    Thanks for commenting. I completely agree.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

There's one on Tik Tok now where a kid is doing "Tabata". I of course knowing full well what Tabata protocol is comment that it's NOT Tabata. Of course I got some backlash, saying I was trolling him. And my easiest response is telling them to actually look up what Tabata protocol is and applied too. I did mention what he did was challenging, but that they were INTERVALS not Tababta. Misinformation should be pointed out.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    C. I don't use Instagram