Weight loss to increase fertility

Options
Is anyone else on a fertility journey and trying to lose weight to help that journey?

Hi everyone👋🏼

I won’t bore you with all the details but I’m 26 years old, always been overweight, lost 55lbs with MFP back in 2017 and kept it off for a few years.

Fast forward to 2023 and I’ve put it back on, plus 10lbs more. I’m 191lbs at 5’3 and my now fiancé and myself have been TTC for 3 years with no luck. I have PCOS and I am taking fertility medication, which apparently has a higher chance of working if you are a healthy weight🙄

Our next step at the beginning of next year will be IVF if these meds don’t work, and you have to be a healthy BMI to start an IVF journey. Although I’ve been trying to lose weight on and off since putting it back on, this has really kick started it again for me.

It’s not just me I’m losing weight for now, it’s for my future family👶🏼

Is anyone on a similar journey?

More friends would be great also please!
Tagged:

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @HaleCry Hi there! I’m sorry you’re having struggles with fertility and wish you the best. I have a question and I hope it’s okay to ask?

You’re already very aware of the risks associated with obesity and pregnancy. Have they educated you on the risks to your baby in the womb and as they grow up, like:

Congenital disorders
    Being significantly larger than average at birth (fetal macrosomia)
    Growth problems
    Childhood asthma
    Childhood and adulthood obesity- 80% risk
    Cognitive problems and developmental delay

If so, what kind of long term support are they providing you so you can get healthy and prevent this future for your children?

It seems like there’s an expectation for the mother to lose weight before pregnancy and then you’re on your own once you’ve given birth. There’s only so much pediatricians say or do when your little one gets a checkup and it doesn’t seem like enough 😞 What type of support is out there to protect you and your family from these future complications? It’s 2023 and I’m hoping there’s a lot more resources than there was when I became a mom in 2010.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    @ddsb1111 They've literally not talked to me about any of this yet. I’m hoping this will be a talking point closer to the time… Hopefully by the time our IVF journey starts, I’ll be healthy!
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    HaleCry wrote: »
    @ddsb1111 They've literally not talked to me about any of this yet. I’m hoping this will be a talking point closer to the time… Hopefully by the time our IVF journey starts, I’ll be healthy!

Okay, I had a feeling, that was my experience too. Well this site has been really helpful in answering questions and providing support so don’t hesitate to lean on MFP. Many of us have been there and can share helpful strategies. I do encourage you bringing it up sooner than later so you can create a strong foundation during and after your pregnancy. Wishing you all the best and hope to see more of you.
  • amandacbshearer
    amandacbshearer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just signed up to my fitness pal. I have PCOS, my husband and I have been TTC for 5 years and we have our first IVF appointment this week, this appointment is to see if IVF is right for us. Because of the PCOS my BMI is 35, I’ve lost 2 stone in the last 2 years and I’m so nervous about what they say about my BMI. Please feel free to add me, need some cheering on. Xx