Veggies

Options
Hey guys!! I am planning my dinner tonight and am at a loss for an additional veggie. I have about 300 calories to spare but am not trying to eat all of those. On the plan for tonight is Sloopy Joe Meatloaf and corn. I just want to try something new and yummy! And I would love to introduce a new veggie to my 2 year old! Thanks in advance!! :drinker:

Replies

• shae123
    shae123 Posts: 26
    Options
    Try grilling fresh asparagus, just spray on a little "I can't beleive its not butter" and sprinkle on a favorite low sodium seasoning like Mrs. Dash.
  • rhoward66
    rhoward66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts are known as super-veggies. I love any one of these steamed until tender.
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My almost 2 year old LOVES asparagus! (So do I!) I agree, grilled is the way to go. My hubby does it in foil.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    roasted sweet potato with a little catalina dressing, onions and thyme YUMMY!
  • anikoswett
    anikoswett Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My favorite healthy veggie is sweet potatoes. Wash the sweet potatoes and cut off the ends. I also pierce it in several locations with a fork or knife. If you have the time, bake them in the oven in a covered dish with a quarter inch of water at the bottom of the pan - for one hour. They come out so moist and sweet, you don't need to add any butter or sugar to enjoy them. If you want to add a little kick without the calories, a dash of cinnamon will do the trick.

Alternately, if you are short on time, you can make them in the microwave with the same result (I just tend to try to avoid the microwave when I can...I've read that it can "kill" the nutritional value of food). Microwave in a bowl with quarter inch of water on the bottom - I usually cover my bowl with another bowl. I turn the potato over every two minutes. I microwave for 6 total minutes for a small potato, and 8-10 minutes for a larger potato. Just be careful and use gloves to handle the dish and utensils to turn the sweet potato. They get VERY hot!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Boy - I do not count sweet potatos as veggies (but I guess they are - officially). I bake them (on foil as they leak) and eat them with NOTHING! They are so yummy! If you do not have a grill I often oven roast asparafus (and other veggies) on a 400 degree oven for 15 mins. Toss lightly with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Yummy!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    mashed sweet potato with butter and brown sugar.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Boy - I do not count sweet potatos as veggies (but I guess they are - officially). I bake them (on foil as they leak) and eat them with NOTHING! They are so yummy! If you do not have a grill I often oven roast asparafus (and other veggies) on a 400 degree oven for 15 mins. Toss lightly with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Yummy!

Sweet potato are very good for you way more nutritious than a regular potatos, and many other veggies for that matter. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love sauting zuccini and yellow squash. I just use the mazola or pam spray instead of actual oil. I also sprinkle a tad of garlic salt or lemon & herb seasoning.... I've never liked plain salt or pepper.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My favorite is zucchini "coins", my kids love them too. I slice zucchini very thin, spray a saute pan with a little olive oil, throw in some minced garlic and "fry" them until crisp and sorta brown...yum!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    since your dinner sounds rather rich and warm, i would add a wilted cucumber salad to "cool" it off. there are recipes all over, but it's basically very thinly sliced cucumbers that are wilted with some salt, then tossed with a vinaigrette.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Take Some Sprouted Mung Beans..Add Finely Chopped Onions and Tomatoes.Add finely chopped Chilies and pepper.Drizzle some Lime Juice.

For an added Crunch Add Some Puffed Rice.