Grrrr!!! I’m So P.O.ed At Myself

Options
Current weight:171
Starting Weight When I Joined MFP: 168

Granted, it’s not a huge weight gain, but I have been eating better (not snacking as much on garbage) and drinking a lot more water like it’s going out of style. Okay, so I haven’t been exercising as faithfully as I should or even wanted to be when the year started. I was diagnosed with a “possible” urinary tract infection or “possible” kidney stones yesterday - honestly, as my grandfather would say, “that doctor didn’t know his @$$ from a hole in the ground”. 😂. I’m on antibiotics, of course. Today’s day 4 of having this infection and despite my pain level being at a 5, I actually did a HIIT FitOn workout with one of my favorite instructors.

Replies

• Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When you have an infection, sometimes your weight will go up. Your body responds to a lot of different things with inflammation (which usually means a few extra pounds).

Give yourself some grace during this time in the weight department. I hope the infection clears up soon if it hasn't already.

My doctor asks me to take probiotics for the medications I take and a lot of people seem to take them after being on antibiotics. You might consider calling the office and seeing if they think that's something you should do.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    When you have an infection, sometimes your weight will go up. Your body responds to a lot of different things with inflammation (which usually means a few extra pounds).

Give yourself some grace during this time in the weight department. I hope the infection clears up soon if it hasn't already.

My doctor asks me to take probiotics for the medications I take and a lot of people seem to take them after being on antibiotics. You might consider calling the office and seeing if they think that's something you should do.

^^ Endorsed. ^^

A few things:

* What we did yesterday, or even over the last couple of days, isn't necessarily the entire direct determinant of our scale weight today, especially if we're talking about fat loss. Fat loss is what we're really going for, right?
    * Any quick multi-pound scale weight change that isn't explained by relatively recent cumulative calorie balance is almost certainly due to water retention shifts or changes in digestive tract contents on the way to becoming waste, rather than being about fat gain/loss.
    * Being P.O-ed at yourself burns zero extra calories, and feels icky. Why do it? (Quadruply true if the thing you're P.O.-ed about wasn't even under your direct control, as is probably the case here.)

Hang in there. Wait it out. Treat and recover from the infection, and don't eat at a huge calorie deficit while you're doing that: Recovery from any health issue requires calories and nutrition. When you're better, get back to the more aggressive (but not tooooo aggressive) routine.

While you're waiting patiently, this would be a good read, if you haven't seen it already (especially the article linked in the initial post):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

It may be calming.

Best wishes!