Recently retired

Options
tattdgma
tattdgma Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2023 in Getting Started
Hello:

I've just retired and don't want to gain weight. I watch my granddaughter a few hours a day and like to work in the yard.

I broke my wrist a year ago and only gained three pounds at my yearly checkup. However, all I want to do is eat. 🤣🤣 How do you manage the constant munchies?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    You'll have to figure that one out yourself.

For me, it comes down to staying busy, planning my meals, sticking to a plan, not buying snack foods, and logging food. Exercise is important too.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    You like gardening. What about a gardening club? We have Treekeepers, which plant donated saplings around the city four times a year.

We also have several garden clubs. Some “adopt” planters and keep them fresh and seasonal and make sure they’re watered. (The Parks and Rec guys water the accessible ones using a tank on a truck, the clubs either water or arrange with local business to water the ones not on the main streets). Our planters are gorgeous. .
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,485 Member
    Options
    I agree keep bust and don't buy in junk food if isn't not there you can't eat it. Good luck
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 845 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters and it’s probably more rewarding for me than the 2 kids I see 3 times a week. There’s kids as old as 18, maybe even older, so you don’t necessarily need to run after little ones. There’s also foster homes and group homes that have events that could use volunteers. Saint Joseph’s hospital is another option. Not only is this valuable work but so fulfilling.

If that’s not your thing I +1 for Art Museum docent or volunteer as they’re always giving tours and having events.

Staying involved and finding fulfillment in life outside of myself is a big part of what keeps me from thinking about food and putting on the lbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,907 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I agree with the general thrust: Snacking isn't even a very interesting way to spend time, when I think about it. It's just "there", when I don't focus on finding things that are more fun.

There are lots of things more interesting, including some that are not all that socially valuable like things people above are advocating. Exercise and volunteering are great, plus health-promoting, altruistic or prosocial. Good stuff.

There are also computer/VR games, learning a musical instrument, journaling, sketching, gardening, carpentry, crafts projects and lots more - things that are engaging and enjoyable (if we pick the right ones), but a little more self-centered. That's OK, too, especially if they distract us from behavior (like excessive snacking) that's counter to our personal goals.

I'm 67, have been retired since age 51. (No, not wealthy: Major cancer scare made me retire as early as I could possibly swing it, so I didn't miss out altogether on retiring.)

I row (on water 4 days a week in season, plus am a class assistant in our learn-to-row classes), and that's social since it's all done in groups. I go out for coffee with my rowing buddies (plain skim latte in my case, so no foul in snack terms). I ride my bike in season on the paved trails. I do various crafts, chiefly jewelry making and visual journaling these days. I grow plants, indoor and outdoor. I try to teach myself to play bluegrass banjo. I read and post on MFP. I go for walks or bike rides with friends. I play some computer games. Etc.

I also snack within my calorie goal.

ETA P.S.: For maybe the first 3 months after I retired, I flailed for a while, finding a new routine. The first couple of weeks or so didn't feel that much different from being on vacation . . . but eventually it did. I did a bunch of dumb stuff long enough to realize it was boring, dysfunctional, or otherwise problematic. Eventually I got into a new routine that made more sense. I still think it's OK to give yourself a little time and grace to adapt and find your new routine. But my advice would be to start looking for that new routine more intelligently than I did. ;)