Insomnia

Options
I suffer from terrible insomnia, which can leave me with 4-5 hours of sleep for my day. I know in order to bulk and grow I need a few 8-9hrs. According to my doctor because of my ADHD 9 would be optimal. I’ve tried melatonin and meditation. My mind just runs a million miles at night. Any suggestions on other things like melatonin I can take. I’ve given up on meditative or routine things that can help me sleep. Cuss even if I exhaust myself at the gym and jog before bed. My brain won’t shut up. 🥲

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    For me, what helped the most was hypnotherapy: Limited course of sessions, self-pay. But I have a very different type of insomnia.

When I went to my employer's assistance program for a referral to a hypnotherapist, they told me that short-course cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) was often effective for the "mind racing" kind of insomnia.

I'd encourage you to keep going with the meditation. There's a reason they call it a "meditation practice". Pretty much everyone is terrible at it, at first. Improvement can be slow, but it's likely to happen with continuing practice.

If I exercised hard right before bed, it would increase the odds that I couldn't sleep. Settling down late in the day would be more helpful to me: Stretching/yoga, dimmer lights, not much activity. YMMV.

There are a whole bunch of threads in this topic area of the Community, where people share ideas about what to do. Have you read them? Maybe there's something in there.

I hope so, for your sake. Best wishes!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Smoke weed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • goodnoodl
    goodnoodl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have nacrolepsy and insomina and I have tried what feels like everything under the sun in the 5 years since being diagnosed. The things that I have found that work for me are keeping a routine and trazodone. I keep a strict routine that not only helps my mind understand that its bedtime, but also my body. I make sure to go to be and wake up at the same time each day and that helps a lot. I also take a half hour before bed to drink a cup of something hot to relax and de-brief from my day. I go through a gratitude exercise where I list 3 things I liked from today and the 3 things I am most looking forward to tomorrow. This helps me get into a positive mindset for sleeping and reflect on my day. Hopefully this helped!
  • fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I see a sleep doctor yearly and am taking Trazadone. I get 7-8 hours sleep most nights even though I get up twice. I had tried all the sleep hygiene ideas.
  • micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Have you tried brown noise
  • Upnadam821
    Upnadam821 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’ve been struggling with sleep lately myself, although trying to dial back screen time and caffeine. Feel like I e got extra energy to burn off and am just restless
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 817 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I also have had insomnia on and off since childhood and have seen a sleep Dr for it once.

Things that stuck:

-I try to not exercise or work after 6, since it energizes me
    -I use a very comfortable in the ear sleep headset and play audiobooks without a sleep timer, it sounds weird, but that puts me to sleep and keeps me asleep better than white noise.
    -I have a white noise machine which has helped in the past.
    -Improved my mental health, figuring out and limiting what keeps me awake.
    -I try to not stress about the hours I sleep. The Dr told me that with a family history like mine (multiple insomniacs on both sides) it will likely be an ongoing issue due to genetics. I can function on little sleep if it does happen and will sleep better the next night.
    -I don’t nap or go to bed earlier than normal. I also don’t sleep in.

I tried melatonin, but had a nonstandard response (worse sleep). Have not tried sleep meds.

@TheUnhealthyDad when my insomnia was worst, I would often sleep on the sofa to not disturb my husband. It’s ok to sometimes have separate bedrooms if that helps (we don’t have an extra room).
  • meganlea33
    meganlea33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also deal with insomnia and for me sticking to a strict sleep schedule can help. I try to do the same routine each night before bed and go to bed at the same time. I have tried melatonin, Benadryl, camomile tea and most of the readily available products but they typically do not help.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,930 Member
    Options
    I feel for you and really wish I could help. But what helped me won't help you guys, except for maybe a tiny chuckle.
    1. Finally got through menopause
    2. My ex-husband fiinally quit calling and coming around.
    I slept 8 hours last night.
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I take 10mg of metformin each night. About once a month, it doesn't work and I'm up all night, but oh well. It used to take 3 or 4 hours to fall asleep.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    edited January 2
    Options
    Of all the ridiculous things, a weighted blanket turned it around for me.

I toss and turn a lot, trying to resettle into a new position for joint pain. The weighted blanket puts gentle enough pressure that it relieves the aches and also makes it difficult enough to turn that I just don’t.

I got a twin size because my husband hates the darn thing, so I only cover my side of the bed.

I got a smaller lighter one, but found I slept better with larger and heavier.

It also helps me with the whack-a-mole brain. I think that getting used to it, it just signals “rest time” now as soon as I draw (lug) it up over me.

They’re cheap enough on Amazon that if you hate it, it’s no biggie to chalk it off as a mistake.

Sometimes it’s the simpleton things that work.
  • jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    -I go to bed earlier (8 or 9) since I know I will wake up at 3 am no matter what
    -I use melatonin with valerian root
    -Stop all caffeine at noon
    -No alcohol
    -Weighted blanket
    -Get off my phone an hour or so before bedtime and switch to a book
    -I try to read a few chapters on my kindle
    -I have a sonicsleep speaker for my pillow. the ONLY thing that turns off my brain is having a TV show playing on my tablet that only I can hear (my husband refuses to sleep with a TV on) I find this ONLY works if I've seen the show a zillion times and don't have to pay 100% attention to it. My go to is Friends.

None of this is foolproof, but I've gotten to 6-7 hours instead of 3-4 so I'll take that as a success
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I eat a cannabis gummy before bed and sleep like a baby... :)
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Trazodone works well for me as well. It’s actually an anti-anxiety medication that is used for sleep. Makes sense actually.