Want to learn to run

Options
I have been active on MFP for a few months now and have been doing 30 minutes of jogging on a mini trampoline for the last 5 1/2 months. Things have been going really well and I feel like I am ready to branch out. One of the things I have always wanted to do is to run. One of the reasons I jog on the mini trampoline is I have scoliosis (50 degree curve in my upper and lower spine) and over the years my endurance for walking long distances had decreased siginficantly. With all the work I have been doing and weight lost I can now walk for about 75 minutes before I need to stop and take a break as a result of the pain. With school starting my son has a really early morning class that I have to drive him to and wait for him. I will haver 45 minutes that I need to do something in and thought now would be the time to try running. My question is how do i do this? Do I just start and run as long as I can? Is there some sort of science to this? I have no experience with running so would really like some help with this.

Replies

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Look up the Couch to 5k (C25k) Programme. I've gone from not being able to rum for 1 minutes to last Sunday I did 7.3kms non stop. Most of the sessions take about 30-35mins inc warm up & cool down
  • ProMooch
    ProMooch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm new to 'running' too, I found that I wanted to run but my body wasn't ready, I felt clumbersum almost so I stuck to walking more and then one day... my body felt like it wanted to 'run' so I did, the length of a wall and then again I reached another ideal short path I could 'run'.

I'm still in that zone and I feel I will be for a while, I struggled with the pace and found myself running too fast and didn't know how to slow it down even though I could see many examples of runners around my local park.
    Then it came to me, it's the 'rain run' or the 'dad run' if those make sense, it's not what I would call a normal jog, it's slower.

So that's my story, not sure it's that helpful to what you're asking but I wanted to share it all the same. Good luck.
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that helps...I am a slow runner, or at least I was in high school and I don't think that will have changed but I have decided not to be self conscious about it like I was back then. I have decided that I am not going to be defeated before I even start. I am doing this for me and no one else so if I am a slow runner so be it.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm new to 'running' too, I found that I wanted to run but my body wasn't ready, I felt clumbersum almost so I stuck to walking more and then one day... my body felt like it wanted to 'run' so I did, the length of a wall and then again I reached another ideal short path I could 'run'.

I'm still in that zone and I feel I will be for a while, I struggled with the pace and found myself running too fast and didn't know how to slow it down even though I could see many examples of runners around my local park.
    Then it came to me, it's the 'rain run' or the 'dad run' if those make sense, it's not what I would call a normal jog, it's slower.

So that's my story, not sure it's that helpful to what you're asking but I wanted to share it all the same. Good luck.

Interesting.... I have been on MFP since Jan, and we got a puppy just before Christmas. My exercise has been my Aikido and walking the dog. My wife runs, but I have had no desire to join her. Until these last few weeks....... It's not even as if my wife has inspired me - a lot of our friends are serious runners from the running club. Unfortunately the dog thinks I can run at my wife's pace!
  • dtblume
    Options
    I would recommend the C25K phone app also, my wife was never much of a runner and she is almost done with the program and is ready for her first 5K this month. The program is great because it slowly brings you along from walking to running for 45 mins non-stop.