When to eat

Options
Hey, I have read a few magazine article from different places and I can't figure out when is the best time to eat, before or after my workout? I usually get up at 6:00 am get dressed and workout in my family room. I shower then eat. Should I be eating as soon as I get up.

Also during the day how ofter should I be eating? I know smaller amounts of food more often help keep blood sugar level s in check but how small is small and how often do you eat?

Sorry I'm a big ol' noobie!!!

:embarassed: :blushing:

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You will do just fine disregarding any black and white rules as far as nutrient timing goes.

I would give it some time and figure out which meal timing method gives you the best overall satisfaction, the best exercise performance, and makes you feel the best, and I would just choose that method regardless of what any magazine article tells you.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Eat when you feel hungry! Everyone's bodies are different.

I have low blood sugar and I eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day, because that is what works for me. I usually eat after my workouts, but if I am feeling weak I will have a small snack about an hour before. Going into a workout with a full stomach slows me down, but if I'm too hungry then I will pass out.

For the first few weeks, I would suggest recording the time of your meal, as well as what you are eating. Figure out what makes you feel the best and helps you maintain your calorie/nutrition goals!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You will do just fine disregarding any black and white rules as far as nutrient timing goes.

I would give it some time and figure out which meal timing method gives you the best overall satisfaction, the best exercise performance, and makes you feel the best, and I would just choose that method regardless of what any magazine article tells you.

This.

Eat when it works for you.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like to workout in the morning too. I really don't have time to wait between eating and workout so I just workout then eat. Do what is right for you.