Not losing weight

Options
Lildarlinz
Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
edited August 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys
Just a quick question
Am I not losing weight because I’m not eating enough?
I sometimes only eat about 900 calories a day…and that’s because I am at work for 12 1/2 hours.
I’ve had a jacket potato with veggies for lunch which equates to about 300 calories altogether… I’ll probably have a cheese and ham toastie on low calorie bread when I go home…and that’s it…I’ll go to bed…not even hungry or starving…I just don’t feel hungry sometimes and even worse now as I have a cold.

I used to be 9 stone 5…but I am
Now 11 stone 11 after having a psychotic breakdown and was put on high doses of medication..

I just feel so depressed and deflated whenever I look down or look at my past photos…and compare

Helppppp :(

Thank you 😘😘

Replies

• ashesxoxo
    ashesxoxo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

That sounds frustrating. Medications can definitely have impact on weight. I am sorry to hear about your psychotic breakdown. Sending you lots of love. Please speak to your doctor about your concerns.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough calories.

From what you've posted about a typical day eating --- an easy thing you can do is if you are eating a baked potato and veggies for lunch, add butter and/or cheese (full fat). Add a protein source as well to that IMO. Cheese and ham toasty -- again, don't use 'low calorie' bread. Choose a high calorie bread, particularly a seed/nut one if you can. Something like Brownberry Healthnut (not sure where you are but it sounds like not the US based on 'jacket potato' and 'toasty' =D --- so something comparable).

Those are some easy first steps of adding some substantial calories to your current meals along with some additional protein. You may also consider something to supplement your calories like BSN True Mass (or similar product)...which is a shake thing - generally intended for those who are weight lifting and trying to gain weight/muscle. But it is calorie dense and fairly macro friendly in order to quickly supplement your macros/calories right now until you can figure out some better habits with food prep/eating. It is not whole food so this shouldn't be a long-term solution IMO.

And, as the other poster suggested, I'd also see if you can speak with a doctor or registered dietitian about how your schedule may impact your eating habits and ways to be better about it.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough calories.

From what you've posted about a typical day eating --- an easy thing you can do is if you are eating a baked potato and veggies for lunch, add butter and/or cheese (full fat). Add a protein source as well to that IMO. Cheese and ham toasty -- again, don't use 'low calorie' bread. Choose a high calorie bread, particularly a seed/nut one if you can. Something like Brownberry Healthnut (not sure where you are but it sounds like not the US based on 'jacket potato' and 'toasty' =D --- so something comparable).

Those are some easy first steps of adding some substantial calories to your current meals along with some additional protein. You may also consider something to supplement your calories like BSN True Mass (or similar product)...which is a shake thing - generally intended for those who are weight lifting and trying to gain weight/muscle. But it is calorie dense and fairly macro friendly in order to quickly supplement your macros/calories right now until you can figure out some better habits with food prep/eating. It is not whole food so this shouldn't be a long-term solution IMO.

And, as the other poster suggested, I'd also see if you can speak with a doctor or registered dietitian about how your schedule may impact your eating habits and ways to be better about it.

Thank you :) x I guess that’s why I’m not losing weight then cos I’m not eating enough calories x I will try :D x
    And yes I’m all the way on the other side in the UK :D haha! Nice to meet u :D x hope to get to USA one day :D xx

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Lildarlinz wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Just a quick question
    I sometimes only eat about 900 calories a day…and that’s because I am at work for 12 1/2 hours.
    I’ve had a jacket potato with veggies for lunch which equates to about 300 calories altogether… I’ll probably have a cheese and ham toastie on low calorie bread when I go home…and that’s it…I’ll go to bed…not even hungry or starving…I just don’t feel hungry sometimes and even worse now as I have a cold.

Now 11 stone 11 after having a psychotic breakdown and was put on high doses of medication..

I just feel so depressed and deflated whenever I look down or look at my past photos…and compare

Thank you 😘😘

You need to be accountable for all of your days, not just one day where you only ate 900 calories. If you eat 900 calories one day, and then binge the next day and eat 4000, that will not help you. I would highly suggest you work at eating a reasonable amount of calories each day say 1800, or whatever it is that MFP calculates you should eat, and focus on eating around that amount every day. Restricting and binging will generally cause you to gain, not lose.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    No, if you eat too little you will not not lose weight. That's not possible. If you eat too little you will lose weight. However, you're putting a massive amount of stress on your body if you're really eating so little, and that can increase cortisol, which in return has some effect on your body. Are you really eating so little every day? Please do eat more. And try to eat some food with a bit more nutritional value. Your body needs a lot more protein, and likely also fat. There's really no reason to starve yourself.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining you're taking in too many calories on a weekly basis. If your medication causes water retention that can also contribute so I'd ask your doc about that and as a quick reference google the med and see what the side effects are.

Eating more won't cause fatloss unless the extra calories are offset by more physical activity.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Just a quick question

Thank you 😘😘

You need to be accountable for all of your days, not just one day where you only ate 900 calories. If you eat 900 calories one day, and then binge the next day and eat 4000, that will not help you. I would highly suggest you work at eating a reasonable amount of calories each day say 1800, or whatever it is that MFP calculates you should eat, and focus on eating around that amount every day. Restricting and binging will generally cause you to gain, not lose.

I think I’m drinking my calories away in amaretto whoops….no more amaretto for me…hehe..
    But I don’t binge with food…I don’t go over my calories in food I think it’s the beer…so that will be going x
    Thank you for the tips :) xx
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    If you're gaining you're taking in too many calories on a weekly basis. If your medication causes water retention that can also contribute so I'd ask your doc about that and as a quick reference google the med and see what the side effects are.

Eating more won't cause fatloss unless the extra calories are offset by more physical activity.

Thanks Tom :) I think it’s the amaretto I’ve been drinking lately…whoops…deffo not going to have any for a while now :D thank you for the tips xx
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

Thanks Tom :) I think it’s the amaretto I’ve been drinking lately…whoops…deffo not going to have any for a while now :D thank you for the tips xx

Lol, Amaretto is probably the worst thing you should be drinking and for that matter you shouldn't be drinking calories. Liquid calories are non satiating. Alcohol needs to be eliminated or at least severly minimized if you want to get anywhere.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options

Lol, Amaretto is probably the worst thing you should be drinking and for that matter you shouldn't be drinking calories. Liquid calories are non satiating. Alcohol needs to be eliminated or at least severly minimized if you want to get anywhere.

That’s told me off sir 😁 I know..I know…but it tastessssss sooooo goooddd…
    But I’m not having another drop for the next few months 😁😁 x

• herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Glad you figured the likely issue out! Good luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I'm baffled but then again I'm easily confused.

The way I see things, some medications have the potential to leave people confused as to what's happening in their lives.

And they can interact with other medications too.

To me alcohol in sufficient quantity seems to act just like one of the many medications that have been pulled from the market due to their epic failures when comparing their benefits to their side effects.

And since alcohol both has calories and offers no nutrients it also interferes with weight control.

Calories In - Calories Out controls your weight. At the same time the make up of the Calories In can either contribute or detract from your overall health.

Health concerns are a continuum but they also seem to have a hierarchy. For some of us weight is a primary issue. For others it is a side effect. And anywhere in between, of course.

Wishing you correct decision making that leads to success.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options

That’s told me off sir 😁 I know..I know…but it tastessssss sooooo goooddd…
    But I’m not having another drop for the next few months 😁😁 x

You can absolutely drink if you like. You just have to log that, since it has calories. So if your drinks are not something you were logging, start...you might not actually be undereating. However, calories from alcohol cannot be stored in the body like calories from fat/carbs/protein...so when you do engage in activity (like go to the gym with the intention of burning calories (from fat, ideally lol)) --- your body *has to use the alcohol calories first before anything else.

I am a craft beer fan and many of them have SO many calories haha --- like not out of question to have a 12oz beer that contains like 300-350 calories. Do I want that beer....yeah. I log though and fit it into my day. Also that type of beer is obviously not an everyday thing, haha.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,470 Member
    Options
    None of my beeswax, but alcohol and the medication (if you’re still on it)……not sure that’s a safe or even medically accepted combo.

You may need to sit down and have a serious come to Jesus meeting with yourself. Just know, no one can ever love you like you can -and ought- to love you.

Bear that in mind when thinking through all this. You’ve got some choices to work through.

I know it’s hard. Hugs.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    None of my beeswax, but alcohol and the medication (if you’re still on it)……not sure that’s a safe or even medically accepted combo.

You may need to sit down and have a serious come to Jesus meeting with yourself. Just know, no one can ever love you like you can -and ought- to love you.

Bear that in mind when thinking through all this. You’ve got some choices to work through.

I know it’s hard. Hugs.

Thank you spring :)
    I know..I’ve just had a real bad time at the moment
    I went through psychosis and was put on so horrible meds and it’s made me pile on the weight…the alcohol I was probably using as a comfort thing…I know it’s not doing me no good
    I plan to not have any for a long time now…I want to get back down to my weight I want to be again xx

Thank you for the support xx it’s much appreciated 😁😁
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Medication can be substituted adjusted and changed as long as everyone is on board in terms of finding a solution instead of convincing themselves that no issue exists (as has been the case with someone dear to me)
  • jbendersimon
    jbendersimon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has a ton of calories. Imagine each drink like a soda.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,963 Member
    Options
    Saying you want to give up the alcohol is a really good thing. It can not solve any perceived problems you have and I'm pretty sure your medical team would tell you to not drink while on psyche meds.

I hope you're able to turn this around.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    Saying you want to give up the alcohol is a really good thing. It can not solve any perceived problems you have and I'm pretty sure your medical team would tell you to not drink while on psyche meds.

Hi riverside :)
    I’ve been good so far :) no beer for a whole week and I’ve already lost 1lb :) I’m calorie counting and scanning all my foods :)
    I’m getting off to a good start :) thank you for the support 😘
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

Hi riverside :)
    I’ve been good so far :) no beer for a whole week and I’ve already lost 1lb :) I’m calorie counting and scanning all my foods :)
    I’m getting off to a good start :) thank you for the support 😘

Way to go! Nice progress.