Give up cabs - Dr’s orders!

Options
Skrib69
Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
Not quite a new user, but as I was weeding out my friends list I realised

a) I have been registered with MFP for 10 years now.
b) I haven’t really been using it for probably 3 years.

In that time I originally lost 25lbs and hit my goal weight of 150lbs, and have since drifted back up to 161lbs. My Dr has recently told me I am pre-diabetic but that at 5’10” I clearly don’t have a weight problem. In the next breath she told me I need to get things back in line by dropping out carbs and all the lovely things that go with that food group. I could have quietly throttled her! However, the plus side is that she also told me not to worry about fats - just cut out the carbs (and the beer, rice, pasta…….!)

So, I have to learn about a whole new set of rules and that is why I am back with a real interest in things again.

My FL is quite short now even by my standards (I don’t collect FR’s like confetti ask like to interact with people) so if you are in the same boat I would be interested to hear from you, particularly if you are in the SE of the UK. If you have any tasty recipes, that would be a bonus!

Replies

• HayleyUna
    HayleyUna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,I came across your post while myself looking for inspo for no carb meals. Interested as to why your doc has told you to cut carbs if you're clearly within the normal weight range. I wonder if she meant more to cut out unhelthy carbs like sugar and refined carbs like white bread and white rice? Cutting them altogether when you're so slim already seems v restrictive and potentially unhelpful but I obvs don't know your full picture.
    That said, I'd love to share some low or no carb meal ideas here 😇
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    HayleyUna wrote: »
    Hi,I came across your post while myself looking for inspo for no carb meals. Interested as to why your doc has told you to cut carbs if you're clearly within the normal weight range. I wonder if she meant more to cut out unhelthy carbs like sugar and refined carbs like white bread and white rice? Cutting them altogether when you're so slim already seems v restrictive and potentially unhelpful but I obvs don't know your full picture.
    That said, I'd love to share some low or no carb meal ideas here 😇

Insulin resistance and being prediabetic has nothing to do with weight, India has more diabetics on a % basis than the USA with very little obesity. It has to do with the body being in a state where blood sugar has crept up and is settling at a higher base and where spiking is higher and for longer times. In that respect all carbs are sugar and removing most carbs will generate the best results. After blood sugar is back to lower and stable levels some carbs can be reintroduced and hopefully they aren't in the oreo cookie and twinkie catergory.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I started my Keto and intermitting fasting Monday. I'm hoping to stick with this diet for two weeks to see if I like it. Right now I'm eating a porterhouse steak with bean sprouts and fresh brewed cinnamon tea for lunch. My registered food count says I'm at 2 grams of carbs, My daily goal is to remain below 25g of carbs. Based on my intermitting fasting, I start eating at 10am so I'm not eating breakfast and I start my fast at 6pm. So the last 2 days have been okay. So I'm looking for recipe ideas.