Help with bulking

Options
I am trying to bulk I take two shakes a day along with my meals the shakes have 1350 calories and 50 grams of protein in each but I feel so sick after drinking them idk what to do

Replies

• christopherpowell39
    christopherpowell39 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE, eat 500 kcal above that every day. Train hard and try to eat clean, you don't have to be perfect. Just don't shovel KFC every day.

If you don't have a weight lifting program, get one for your weight lifting stage. If you're a beginner, something like Starting Strength or 5x5 works well.

And get a PT for a couple of sessions to show you the big lifts, squat, deadlift, bench and press.

If you're still struggling, get a hormone panel done. They don't cost much, but if you're older and your hormones are off, that significantly hinders progress, especially at a bulk.

People get their car health checked every year, but refuse to get their own health checked every year.

Remember, you can't bulk while loosing weight. A bulk means gaining weight.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,145 Member
    Options
    So the two shakes combined are 2,700 calories and 100 grams of protein? That's a terrible ratio! I can get 100 grams of protein from just 450 calories of my shakes! AND you feel sick after? Unless you are taking them per a doctor's advice, I would just stop!

As mentioned above, bulking does not need to be thousands of calories per day over maintenance. Just 500 calories per day will be a pound a week, and if you keep the protein high and perform resistance exercises, odds are a decent percentage of that pound will be muscle.

With your current plan of these two shakes on top of a full day's worth of eating (IF you eat, with you telling us you feel sick) without high enough protein, then you are likely to gain a bunch of weight, but very little of it will be muscle, most of it fat, which is likely NOT what you are trying to accomplish.
  • LiftAndCode
    LiftAndCode Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Drop the mass gaining shakes and switch to a normal whey protein. The shakes are a supplement and not a main focus of your diet. Your diet should consist of mainly food and if you are missing some protein then you use a shake to catch up.

1. Drop the mass shake
    2. Just start lifting consistently. As a beginner you will gain muscle for probably your first year straight training.
    3. Use the MyFitnessPal app to set up a goal and it will suggest a calorie intake for you.
    4. Repeat step 2 until you hit a plateau
  • Mark031111
    Mark031111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    check the shake's ingredients for anything that might be causing discomfort. Drinking the shakes slowly could also help your body handle them better. If the issue continues, seeking advice from a healthcare pro or a nutritionist would be smart.
  • rimcdave
    rimcdave Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Go Old School. Eat regular meals and drink a GOMAD (Gallon of milk a day). 2214 calories, 174g carbs, 118g fat, 114g protein, 5000mg potassium. Trust me you will bulk up. I did this back in High School to make the football team. Cost is only $2.50 a day here in the U.S.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,145 Member
    Options
    I suggest NOT doing the GOMAD challenge. And that's from a guy who drinks milk with almost every meal!