Intermittent fasting & diabetes (Type 2)

Options
Hi! Anyone have luck losing weight intermittent fasting while having type 2 diabetes?
Tagged:

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options
    I think you should discuss with your doctor or a dietician whether intermittent fasting is for you. Eating a lot of food within a short period of time might potentially spike your glucose, and the fasting interval could equally lead to a hypo thus we should not give you any advice on this.

For weightloss IF doesn't have any magical properties. Some people are tempted to eat less if their eating window is small, others gnaw their own arm off if they can't constantly eat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    One of the undeniable benefits of IF is increased insulin sensitivity, so there is that for someone with diabetes. If you happen to be looking to lose weight the studies are mixed, mostly because of adherence, but if you can stick to a smaller feeding window and 2 hours makes a difference if that person is a snacker and just eats for the sake of eating. Just make sure your PCP is aware. cheers
  • cszulc
    cszulc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I tried it. My problem was I had so much desire at the end of a fasting period and ate all a days calories in that evening meal (and sometimes then some).

I have been having better luck from carb cycling. I work it around my weekly exercise routine and notice a big difference in feeling and be able to stay in my calorie range. You may want to consider it!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried IF, because long ago I discovered that eating larger meals spiked my blood sugar quite a bit. As a result, I eat six small meals per day most days, and the spike is nowhere near as high.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried IF, because long ago I discovered that eating larger meals spiked my blood sugar quite a bit. As a result, I eat six small meals per day most days, and the spike is nowhere near as high.

Your body is still getting the same amount of blood glucose when carbs are controlled, just spread out over a longer time frame which begs the question; does having the pancreas secreting insulin 6 times a day, although not as much, better than 3 or 2 times a day on say a metric like insulin sensitivity?

Basically 6 meals a day is grazing comparatively speaking that will result in elevated insulin levels over base line for more hours in the day than eating 3 or 2 meals a day and it's the time the body is in this elevated insulin state that is the concern and where the damage is done and more so than the inital insulin spikes of 2 or 3 meals, but again this is just a guess from my understanding and I could be totally off base but I don't think I am. cheers