Peach season!

Options
history_grrrl
history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
edited August 2023 in Recipes
Ahhhh. It’s that time of year here in southern Ontario. I love making cobblers, pies, galettes, etc., but really have to be careful on the calorie front. Any tasty but low-cal recipes out there?

I can always just eat plain peaches every day, of course. :)

Replies

• OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a fresh peach protein smoothie right now; 237 calories! It's my lunch today. Grilling peach halves when cooking out is delicious, also. Sweet enough without adding any brown sugar, but a sprinkle of ginger is also delicious!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    I love the peaches best eaten standing bent over the kitchen sink.

Peach sorbet. Peach salad with tomatoes and fennel. Pan fried, grilled or raw peach slices on top of a green salad with some salty cheese such as blue cheese or feta and vinaigrette. Salad with peach, feta, mint needs no dressing. For a warm baked dessert, peach clafoutis is low fat, so quite reasonable in terms of calories and you can swap out some of the sugar in the batter with an artificial sweetener.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    1. Peach Betty with monkfruit replacing the white sugar, I still add a bit of brown sugar to the oatmeal to the topping and use butter spray instead of melted butter.
    2. Frozen peaches as fodder for my Yonanas Machine.
    b0ksbbrostox.jpg
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will fit into a 'low calorie' option...but it's certainly slightly lower than a cobbler or pie would be:

Grilled peaches - cut them in half and get some grill marks on them (If I can't be fussed to grill them, I'll also jus kind of saute them in a pan on the stove). Then, a sweet goat cheese (one with honey, or other fruit)...or regular goat cheese with a honey drizzle...and it's really good with some sort of herb (basil, mint, thyme...etc.) It's really really good, not too sweet and interesting.

Other than that I'd also make a compote to add to oatmeal, plain yohurt or top ice cream with (or even pancakes or waffles...).

IDK what the texture of pickled peaches would be like...but I bet they'd taste good - anyone know??
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm in SW Ontario too! :) Belle River to be exact...

We buy ours from a farm near Colchester on the Lake Erie shoreline.

I love them just as they are or with ice cream! :)
  • JessLaMaestra
    JessLaMaestra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love making fruit crisp using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. It's a small switch, but I think it makes the dish more nutrient dense too! I place my sliced fruit in the bottom of my pan, stir up a couple tablespoons of butter/margarine with whole wheat flour, cinnamon, 2 TB of brown sugar, oats, and vanilla. Then, I sprinkle the mixture over the fruit and bake for about 30-40 minutes. I either top it with lite Cool Whip or sugar-free/low-sugar vanilla Greek yogurt.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Made peach creme brulee for the first time and have to say it works very well in that recipe. Cheers.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions, everyone; thanks. I did blanch a bunch and peel them for freezing, but then ended up eating them all in the next few days. Poor things never did make it into the freezer . . .

Oh, and @xbowhunter, I’m in the Niagara region. What a bounty we have here!

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions, everyone; thanks. I did blanch a bunch and peel them for freezing, but then ended up eating them all in the next few days. Poor things never did make it into the freezer . . .

Oh, and @xbowhunter, I’m in the Niagara region. What a bounty we have here!

Love Niagra especially Niagra on the lake! :)