Oatmeal... I ain't doin' it.

Options
I WANT to like oatmeal. It smells amazing but the texture of wet oatmeal gets to me. I like protein bars with oats in them, and lord knows I love oatmeal cookies. So for this reason...oatmeal? I ain't doin it.
My go to is usually eggs, and while versatile, I eat a similar egg white omelet every day. Days when I have time, avocado toast is magical with some egg whites, but that's not every morning.
Share you tried and true breakfast recipes and I'll share mine as they appear!
Tagged:

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Lol, I hear ya. There's no need to eat oatmeal if you don't like it. I can't stand overnight oats... they're a gloppy, snotty congealed mess that I refuse to accept.
  • knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, but wanted to share with you that my stepdad, who swears he can make himself like any food, has never conquered oatmeal either.

My current favorite breakfast is Skyr, frozen wild blueberries (keep ‘em frozen—it’s hot out there), and granola (a big component of which is, of course, oatmeal hahaha).
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, the texture of cooked oats really turns my stomach. No amount of crap that you can add to it would make it palatable to me.

The good thing is that there's absolutely no reason you have to like oatmeal.

I don't eat much for breakfast...a bowl of cereal or yogurt with berries, so sorry, no recipes to share.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    You don't have to like it! If you want to try one last thing (or howmany other people come up here) then why not try oats with greek yogurt or skyr in roughly 1:2 or whatever you prefer, with raisins mixed in and whatever fresh fruit you have. This is my breakfast. It's not wet but quite chewy and sweet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I lived in a yoga retreat center where I had cooked oatmeal 6 days a week for a year. That was 20 years ago and I still can't stand the stuff.
  • baileyblythe03
    baileyblythe03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I treat oatmeal like cereal. Just enough milk to make it a little soft but still crunchy.
    I just got on the overnight oat train, but I still add a lot to make it crunchy.
  • siyeonsimpp
    siyeonsimpp Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If it's the wet oatmeal texture you can't stand, I'd suggest adding less water when you make it. Personally, I eat instant microwaveable oatmeal pretty often, and adding less water makes it less soupy and more of the dry oat texture it sounds like you like better.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love oatmeal...it just doesn't seem to love me though.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Might be worth trying a baked oats recipe, the texture is different and can be happily eaten over a few days. Sometimes I make fruit crumble, the crumble being mostly oats/rye/barley flakes. I have a chunk with some yoghurt.
    If not a slice of toast and peanut butter is always a winner.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I think it's smart to corral all the oatmeal haters here into one place, so we can all know who they are.
  • johngsprague
    johngsprague Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Another texture change is more water so it's not thick at all. It eats completely different than the stick-to-your-ribs variety. I usually add some crushed walnuts, berries, flax and chia mix, and most importantly some real maple syrup!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Another texture change is more water so it's not thick at all. It eats completely different than the stick-to-your-ribs variety. I usually add some crushed walnuts, berries, flax and chia mix, and most importantly some real maple syrup!

Ok, that will probably put me into hater category, but this sounds absolutely gross and slimy to me. I'm not TO, thus not sure what makes oatmeal yucky to them of course but for me this would be eeek-territory. Now off to sleep with that though. :s
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    For those who'd REALLY like to eat oats, it's worth experimenting with old fashioned, extra thick, quick cooking, steel cut, and Scottish oats. You can make these hot or as overnight oats. I eat freshly cooked hot oats pretty much every morning, normally topped with fruit and nut butter. I make them with water, others use some type of milk. They keep me full until lunch. Right now, it's steel cut oats, but in the past it's been other types.
  • AllaboutDaCake
    AllaboutDaCake Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the texture either but I love baked oats.
  • kscowgirrrl
    kscowgirrrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah I’m with you. Breakfast oatmeal is gag worthy. My go to breakfast is scramble a couple eggs, top with shredded cheese and a little spicy green salsa and wrap in an warm 8” flour tortilla. I have a LOT of eggs since I have my own chickens so I eat them all the time in salads, deviled, poached, any way you can imagine.
  • PinUpDreamer926
    PinUpDreamer926 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah I’m with you. Breakfast oatmeal is gag worthy. My go to breakfast is scramble a couple eggs, top with shredded cheese and a little spicy green salsa and wrap in an warm 8” flour tortilla. I have a LOT of eggs since I have my own chickens so I eat them all the time in salads, deviled, poached, any way you can imagine.

SOME DAY I WILL OWN CHICKENS!!!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,207 Member
    Options
    I agree with @henridw2095. Try some different types of oats. Instant oatmeal is awful. Quick oats are also gloppy. Old fashioned rolled oats have a different texture. Cook with less water, and don't overcook.

I used to dislike oats. I still don't like cream of wheat, but I really like oats now. I almost never cook them. I mix them with yogurt and let them sit an hour (or a half hour or two hours....) and then maybe add fruit or cacao nibs or nothing.

Lots of fiber, but not low-calorie. Keeps me full for a day of paddling.

And then there's grits. When I didn't like oats, I still liked grits. Not instant grits. Those are awful. Good old fashioned grits without too much water. I used to throw a fried egg on top. Now I use one less pan and when the grits are about 2/3 cooked, I crack an egg on top and put the lid on for a couple minutes, then stir it in and let it finish cooking. It's a creamy delicious texture full of protein and carbs. Mmmmmmmm.

• lucytalbot94
    lucytalbot94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to be exactly the same, so I experimented with having is thinner, thicker, with different fruit, different flavours, and it took a long time to get it how I like it but I do quite enjoy it now!

My usual go to though is yoghurt and granola, it's quick and easy and you can take it anywhere with you! (I keep my granola separate until I'm ready to eat it, nobody likes it soggy, right? Right?)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I haven't had instant oats in forever but I've done quick, rolled and now quick steel cut. Next up will be not so quick steel cuts. Or chia seeds because someone mentioned they're lower carb than oats.

Aaaaaaaanyway, there's no unwetting quick oats. I nuke rolled oats so long, you'd think they were baked. Still working on quick steel cut oats and their texture is sorta in between.