Autoimmune Disorders and Weight Loss

Options
Hello, I’m 22 and female. I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s and Lupus. I have a few other disorders like PCOS that makes it more difficult to lose weight. I’ve tried eating healthy and working out, but see no difference.
Does anyone have any of these problems and have lost weight? Any help is good! (I do take medication for all of these problems listed.)

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Autoimmune diseases can make everything difficult. I had hypothyroidism due to Graves Disease... I was hyperthyroid, then had my thyroid radiated and am now on replacement thyroid hormone. That being said, you can absolutely lose weight. Keep in mind, eating "healthy" is different than eating to lose weight. To lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than you expend. A lot of people count calories to manage this. Do you have your recommended calories from MFP based on your current weight and weight loss goal? If so, track your calories and try to stick to that amount. If you haven't lost weight in a month, cut your calories by another couple hundred.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Hi! While you may have more challenges than other people, there are other posters here with these conditions who have successfully lost weight.

You may find this helpful:

cs17oe75dcn0.jpg
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options
    If you’re on steroids then weightloss can be more difficult. Not because they make you gain fat but because they can make you ravenous and eat more and lead to water retention. Water can mask weight loss and it can show up later on the scale. The easiest to deal with is hashimoto. You only need to convince your go to prescribe a high enough dose of meds so you feel normal. It also doesn’t really slow your body down but can also lead to water retention, hunger and moving less. There’s no reason to be miserable with hashi. I hope you have a good gp here 🐱
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    You mentioned you tried 'eating healthy and working out'....this doesn't take into consideration what your caloric needs in a day are. What* you eat is less important than how much. For you - it might be different due to your autoimmune issues and there many be foods or ingredients that you should steer clear of or eat more of (or there may be medications you are taking for those things that may also have an affect). If you are able, and have access...I'd look into seeing if you'd be able to work with a registered dietician since you have some extenuating circumstances.

But, really --- what are your *current* caloric needs? To figure that out - I'd suggest using a TDEE calculator. It will help you figure out what you maintenance level calories are as well as your BMR. And you can have an idea of what you should start out with as far as a daily calorie goal. Then you just have to make adjustments as you go from there.