Increase Protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A cheap way to get protein is chocolate milk or a whey protein shake immediately after a run. Some protein shakes have digestive enzymes to help you digest the powder. It may take your stomach a couple weeks to adjust to it however.

I suggest consuming 1g-1.5g of protein for every pound you weigh throughout the day. But don't make protein shakes the main source of protein. Chicken, fish, beef, pork, eggs, cheese, etc...
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I suggest consuming 1g-1.5g of protein for every pound you weigh throughout the day. But don't make protein shakes the main source of protein. Chicken, fish, beef, pork, eggs, cheese, etc...

For someone who's a runner, this is overkill.

Do some searches on the MFP forums for what's the right macro percentages for your activity. I shoot for around 0.75g protein per LBM body weight as a runner. I'd increase it more for lifting heavy, etc. where there's more muscle repair/rebuilding going on.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

For someone who's a runner, this is overkill.

Do some searches on the MFP forums for what's the right macro percentages for your activity. I shoot for around 0.75g protein per LBM body weight as a runner. I'd increase it more for lifting heavy, etc. where there's more muscle repair/rebuilding going on.

There's a decent body of research that suggests 0.8 -1.1g per kg of bodyweight. I'd link something here, but I'm feeling lazy, and scholar.google.com makes it super easy to find the research.

I personally shoot for 1g of target lbw.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have had quite a few people telling me that I should increase my protein but I have no idea how to do it!

I run daily and so my muscles become quite sore so I read that increasing my protein will help that. I already eat meat most days and I eat my veg (my diary is open). So how to i get more in me?

I did consider protein shakes, but they are really expensive and I simply cant afford them, my friend also told me that protein shakes give you diorhea (sic).

Any suggestions?

I suggest you not listen to your friend re: protein shakes.

Additionally, I'd suggest you get some meat into your diet. I didn't see any today aside from a couple slices of ham that had to be paper thin.

I dont pre-populate my diary, I am having chicken for dinner later, so its not just ham - and yes it was paper thin!!

Thanks for all the posts, I will check out those websites and try some protein powder shakes for after my runs and see if that helps.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have had quite a few people telling me that I should increase my protein but I have no idea how to do it!

I run daily and so my muscles become quite sore so I read that increasing my protein will help that. I already eat meat most days and I eat my veg (my diary is open). So how to i get more in me?

I did consider protein shakes, but they are really expensive and I simply cant afford them, my friend also told me that protein shakes give you diorhea (sic).

Any suggestions?

Additionally, I'd suggest you get some meat into your diet. I didn't see any today aside from a couple slices of ham that had to be paper thin.

I dont pre-populate my diary, I am having chicken for dinner later, so its not just ham - and yes it was paper thin!!

Thanks for all the posts, I will check out those websites and try some protein powder shakes for after my runs and see if that helps.

I think I saw the bottom entries and thought that was dinner. Seriously though, add in more protein via food before looking at protein shakes. I drink protein shakes because honestly, I don't want to eat anything prior to about 3pm daily. So I'll have that to get working on my daily protein need. Some days, I want food, and will chow down on good stuff.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

I think I saw the bottom entries and thought that was dinner. Seriously though, add in more protein via food before looking at protein shakes. I drink protein shakes because honestly, I don't want to eat anything prior to about 3pm daily. So I'll have that to get working on my daily protein need. Some days, I want food, and will chow down on good stuff.

Thanks. I will do some research over the next few days and find out what will work best for me diet wise and see how i get on.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There's a decent body of research that suggests 0.8 -1.1g per kg of bodyweight. I'd link something here, but I'm feeling lazy, and scholar.google.com makes it super easy to find the research.

I personally shoot for 1g of target lbw.

0.8g per kg = 0.36g per lb
    1.1g per kg = 0.5g per lb

That may be close if you're calculating based on lean body mass, not total bodyweight.

But yeah, I agree about doing the research and making an informed decision.
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and find this really tough, I always thought the protein powders were a load of carp but there's really something to be said for them I don't get the muscle soreness anymore like I used to. I buy holland and barret whey protein when it's on sale so £19.99 for a huge tub.

For easy protein I eat cheese, total Greek yoghurt NOT Greek style yoghurt, I'm also trying to eat fish which gives me a huge protein boost.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I live in the uk too and get protein supplement powder through Amazon for £20 a tub. Don't buy from the supermarkets or Holland & Barrett they rip you off. I swear by it for recovery and find I'm sore and stiff if I don't have it.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and chicken are a nice source of protein.