Food for a camping trip

Options
Any recommendations for foods to take on a 4 day camping trip that are low carb and won’t totally blow my diet?
Tagged:

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    nuts, jerky, quest bars (in flavors that won't make mess when they get hot), quest protein chips, freeze dried veggies/strawberries, premade protein shakes.

All stuff I'd eat on a camping trip along with the campfire cooked fresh fish, pecans, or dewberries I could scrounge where I'm camping (I'm gonna be camping near a river in the south if I were camping).
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm camping this weekend as well. I am planning on focusing on protein. I am going with my son's Scout Troop. We, as the adult leaders, are doing all the cooking so I got to help meal prep. We decided to do hot dogs for lunch. I will just not eat the bun. I am bringing some lower calorie snacks for a side dish. For dinner the adults are going to have steak and baked (roasted on the fire) potatoes. I will be doing a lot of hiking and outdoor activities so my calories will be increased. Everything in moderation and focus on protein.
  • peiotter
    peiotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I do a lot of camping. We treat ourselves to very good steak, mushrooms and onions on the first day. WE generally bring a big bag of spinach and balsamic dressing. We have feta cheese and cranberries with it. Essential is coffee for the am. First breakfast eggs and bacon. Second day is canned salmon and you guessed it spinach salad. If you bring frozen food like a chillie or chicken casserole in a clip box. It makes for good meals on the 3 and 4th day. Celery and carrots for snacks. Have a great time!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    The last trip we went on which was about that length meat (burger patties, sausages and the like), radishes (trim off the top and bottom and halve or quarter depending of the size, fry them up (leave them long enough before stirring around so they get a nice browning on them), season with salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese), cheeses, cucumber (sliced up and mixed with ranch dressing), and likely more that I am not remembering. Ah, yes, bacon and eggs.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    If you'll be doing hiking, etc low carb may not be the best approach.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    If you'll be doing hiking, etc low carb may not be the best approach.

Good point.

@Spicey_74 - what type of camping is this? When I went to canoeing camp, they stuffed us full of carbs, but we were active all day long.

I've also been camping where the only "activity" was cooking and eating.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Non-refrig I'd probably go for beef jerky, hard cheese, low carb protein bars, nuts/nut butters, seeds, canned meats (sardines, tuna, chicken, etc.), some veggies, & berries.

If you have a cooler: cold cuts, yogurt/cottage cheese cups, eggs (hard boiled or if you can cook shoot do up the bacon & eggs over the campfire).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I was wondering when the oh, your energy with low carb will not allow for actual hiking, the what where you thinking mentality. This place just keeps on giving. lol