best protein bars and shakes out there

Options
Suggestions? I need some more protein in my diet. (I have a restricted diet so many of the usual options for protein I can't eat). A protein bar or shake seems like the perfect solution to supplement my protein needs. any suggestions of ones that are highest in protein...absent of partially-hydrogenated oils, etc. The simpler the better--with a low-moderate number of calories. Thank you.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    MRM unflavored. Organic, no sugar added. You can control what you add.
  • HarvestNow
    Options
    I ve used and enjoyed ATTAIN GC Control, ProFlex20 protein Shake, mix along with ACCESS Bars--
    sold by Melaleuca...
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would check out plant fusion. It's all plant based which is nice. They have a pretty simple protein powder as well as a more complex meal replacement shake which I have been using. Taste is fine, mixes easily in water.
  • swim_bike_run
    Options
    How many calories? ThinkThin bars have a high amount of protein given the number of calories....my nutritionist recommended them to supplement protein for me without adding a ton of sugar. They are pretty good compared to most other bars. Stay aware from the crunch varieties that contain nuts though.

For "shakes" I'd buy a powder and add your own ingredients to get some fruits and veggies in there. My lowest cal option is a scoop of vanilla protein powder, 1 c water, 1 Tbsp cocoa powder (I use 60% or higher cacao), 1/2 banana, 1 c spinach, 6 ice cubes, sweetner of choice (I use Stevia drops but you can use honey, splenda, nothing, etc). Blend in a blender. The spinach is pulverized and you can't taste it at all.

I also have a carrot cake version that's awesome but a few more cals. 1 c carrot juice (they sell this in produce refrigerator at grocery), 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, a dash or 2 of cinnamon, 1/2 banana, 1 c spinach, sweetner of choice. 6 ice cubes. Sometimes i add 1 Tbsp of flax meal in as well (but adds a little fat). Blend til smooth. Takes like a carrot cake smoothie!
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love Quest bars..... 160 to 200 cals and about 20 grams protein... I order them online...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I like think thin bars and pure protein bars

i don't really like the powders, but the one I am using now isn't bad.. not a ton of protein though. It's pure protein powder. 100 calories for 15 g of protein. A little low, but works for me.
  • ishiqa36
    ishiqa36 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love Quest bars..... 160 to 200 cals and about 20 grams protein... I order them online...

I also love quest bars. Ive been eating them since they first made them and am still hooked on them (which is not norm for me, i get sick of stuff pretty quickly). I recently tried the chocolate chip cookie dough. SOOO yum!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Another fan of Quest bars here! I like Luna bars better, honestly, but they don't have 20g of protein and 20g of fiber... A quest bar keeps me full for 2 hours... A luna bar maybe 1?
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like Power Crunch bars. Most kinds have 14g of protein and are relatively low in sugar. And they taste good!
  • alexkwhite98
    Options
    Coming from a broke 18 year old; Body Fortress whey protein from Walmart isn't all that bad. 2lbs for $15, I saw excellent muscle gains from it on my last bulk so it must work ok haha!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, you might try their natural whey.

As for bars, Quest bars are the best, hands down in my book.

Rigger
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love KIND bars
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I like International Protein in Vanilla :)
  • alexkwhite98
    Options
    I love KIND bars

Omg I know
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I love KIND bars

Agreed! They are awesome.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Trutein is the best protein evvvvvvvvver made
  • alexkwhite98
    Options
    BY THE WAY, most protein bars contain collagen (aka gelatin), which is not a complete protein and can't be used as well as complete proteins(meats, milk products, etc.)
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are awesome and you can make so many yummy things with them. For protein powder, Go Gnarly is high quality and tasty.
  • ayerg
    ayerg Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm in the Kind camp too...just can't choke down a Quest bar. I don't care how much protein is in them, I want my food to taste like food... :tongue:
  • EMLiu
    Options
    I am not a shake or bar person. But a friend of mine who was training with some serious athletic types suggested super food greens he and these athletes have been using by Immortal Herbs - it actually has a lot of plant protein and is very low in calories so I have started taking it as part of my weight loss program.