Is it a myth? Or real?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    for over 3 years you have been repeatedly telling us you work a physically demanding job and have been eating a vlcd ... often less than 1000 cal per day and unable to lose weight. if that was true you would not be at a place where you need to lose weight. time to start being honest with yourself. what you are eating, drinking and what your disordered behaviors are and get yourself sorted.

Just to let you know…I went through psychosis and was put on medication that made me balloon…I went down to 9 stone starving myself due to mental health reasons…I ballooned up to 11 stone 12…my medication was making me hungry and wanted to snack away…

I have large breasts and I’m awaiting breast reduction surgery too…which also plays a massive part with my mental health…I probably am not fat per se, just I feel fat due to the weight and look of my boobs…
    You’re right I probably don’t need to lose weight, but I want to for me and to feel good about myself

No need to be judgemental…everybody has their reasons…
    Hopefully this helps clear up any issues you think I have :)
  • benhmorris63
    benhmorris63 Posts: 42 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Too few calories can prevent you from losing weight. When we take in too few calories, our body goes into self-preservation mode because it needs X amount calories (depending on the individual) in order to survive. If it's not getting that it works to retain all that it is getting to protect itself, and you. As others have pointed, I think you need to re-evaluate where your body TRULY NEEDS to be versus where you THINK it needs to be. What or whose standard are you judging yourself by? DO NOT judge your own body by someone else's standard. You were beautifully created to be YOU and only YOU.

Our bodies are amazing gifts, designed to naturally gravitate towards their desired weight when we take care of them properly. That means eating healthy, quality foods with good nutrients and getting regular exercise. Even going for a walk every day is huge. I actually lost weight by eating MORE quality calories and exercising regularly than I ever did focusing just on calories alone and my body was healthier for it.

Do not be a slave to the scale! It's just a number. Do not give it more power than that. Numbers and measures can be great tools when used in their proper place. I use them myself. BUT they should NOT run your life. Put the scale away for a while and listen to your body. Eat when your body tells you to. If you're hungry, your body is telling you it needs sustenance. Eat healthy, quality food. Don't just sit at the park, get up and walk around. Look around and enjoy the beauty of the creation that surrounds you. Feed your soul while you be kind to your body and enjoy the journey!
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 790 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @benhmorris63

Hi Ben, although you mean well, the information regarding starvation mode you provided her was scientifically inaccurate and disproven. Many years ago companies twisted the scientifically supported phenomena called Adaptive Thermogenesis to sell diet plans. Starvation Mode, as it has come to be known, is a myth. However, Adaptive Thermogenesis is loosely explained like this-

Adaptive Thermogenesis is a reduction in energy needs beyond the standard calculated needs from the amount of lean body mass. The person that lost weight needs less energy than the lean person at that same weight.

“Adaptive thermogenesis in humans” by Michael Rosenbaum and Rudolph L. Leibel
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20935667/

But if you want to skip the research and jump right to this insightful post where it is debated at great length, check this out-

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

AND, this one (it’s been debated a lot 😆)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again

I fully agree she shouldn’t give more power to the scale than it deserves and that it’s just a tool. However, advice to “listen to your body” when it comes to hunger cues is literally impossible for many, if not most, overweight people.

“Increasing BMI is also associated with more frequent subjective food cravings, which are associated with an increased intake of the specific foods craved and eating in the absence of hunger because of increased cue reactivity”

“Food Cue Reactivity, Obesity, and Impulsivity: Are They Associated?”by Karolien van den Akker

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40429-014-0038-3#:~:text=Increasing BMI is also associated,increased cue reactivity [39].

I didn’t mean to come here to attack you or belittle you in anyway, I hope it doesn’t come across that way. I found this information insightful at one point, and hopefully you feel the same way and can adapt your support for others to reflect these science based facts while keeping that good natured encouragement just like you were giving the poster.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Too few calories can prevent you from losing weight. When we take in too few calories, our body goes into self-preservation mode because it needs X amount calories (depending on the individual) in order to survive. If it's not getting that it works to retain all that it is getting to protect itself, and you. As others have pointed, I think you need to re-evaluate where your body TRULY NEEDS to be versus where you THINK it needs to be. What or whose standard are you judging yourself by? DO NOT judge your own body by someone else's standard. You were beautifully created to be YOU and only YOU.

Our bodies are amazing gifts, designed to naturally gravitate towards their desired weight when we take care of them properly. That means eating healthy, quality foods with good nutrients and getting regular exercise. Even going for a walk every day is huge. I actually lost weight by eating MORE quality calories and exercising regularly than I ever did focusing just on calories alone and my body was healthier for it.

Do not be a slave to the scale! It's just a number. Do not give it more power than that. Numbers and measures can be great tools when used in their proper place. I use them myself. BUT they should NOT run your life. Put the scale away for a while and listen to your body. Eat when your body tells you to. If you're hungry, your body is telling you it needs sustenance. Eat healthy, quality food. Don't just sit at the park, get up and walk around. Look around and enjoy the beauty of the creation that surrounds you. Feed your soul while you be kind to your body and enjoy the journey!

Awww thank you for the nice comments Ben :) I really will try to eat better :) xx