Spinach salad potassium

Options
cneubert147
cneubert147 Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
I believe that the spinach salad potassium value is 8ncorrect. Could someone please check it out?
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,866 Member
    Options
    The database is crowd-sourced, i.e., entered by regular MFP users like you and me, except some of them aren't as careful as you and me to enter things fully and exactly. (To be fair, sometimes that would be very difficult to do, such as if the person were entering the spinach salad from information on a restaurant web site, and the restaurant didn't include potassium in the data.)

When I search "spinach salad" in the database, I see a large number of matching entries. (I stopped counting at 20, but there were many more.) I saw entries listed as 18 calories, and entries listed as over 800 calories. What was in each of those spinach salads? I have no idea, but obviously they weren't identical.

If you made the spinach salad, your best bet for accuracy is to input the weighed (or at least measured) ingredients that were in your specific spinach salad, checking to make sure each ingredient had the full and correct nutrient information that matters to you. You can do that as a list of ingredients in your meal, create it as a saved meal, or create it as a recipe.

If you got the salad at restaurant, look at their web site. If there's nutrition information there, use that. If you got it at a restaurant that doesn't have nutrition information, either pick a salad you know is similar from a chain restaurant (and use the chain's nutrition data), or mentally deconstruct the salad into ingredients, i.e., X amount of spinach, Y amount of bacon, etc.

That will make the calorie and nutrient info as accurate as possible for the spinach salad you actually ate.