Help.

Options
Help I have been losing and gaining the same few kilos for 3 years.I usually eat just over 1000 calories.My diary can be viewed.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Hi Esther Potter. I can't see your diary but it might just be me as I'm having some problems with this website.

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself, your age, weight and size for example? How consistent are you with logging? Do you use a foodscale? Do you exercise and do you eat back exercise calories?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary either. If you've already done this:

In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

there could be a glitch with the system.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I can't see your diary either. If you've already done this:

In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

there could be a glitch with the system.

Sorry to not help you OP, but I can't access anyone's member page - when I click on 'Member's Profile' it always states: r0udrbrjcn4q.png
  • estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 53.I am 5ft 6.I am about 86kg.I have been doing a lot of exercise.Weightlifting and walking the dog.I dont weigh my food.Its hard because my husband cooks for me.My food diary is set to public.I will check it though.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'4", pretty low muscle, but i lose weight at 1000 calories per day without exercise.

i am unable to accurate guess calories / portion sizes without weighing, and my guesses are waaayy off, and i've found that i am unable to share meals on a regular basis and still lose weight.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 - Can I ask you what you experience on the site when you attempt to view someone's diary? My experience is: '...page you were looking for could not be found' when I click on 'member's profile.
    I am trying to figure out if it's the same 'glitch' in the system that others seem to be having, or if it's just my system.

I am able to view friend's dairies though...
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Sorry to not help you OP, but I can't access anyone's member page - when I click on 'Member's Profile' it always states: r0udrbrjcn4q.png

If you get the 404 error, look at the URL. If you see a bunch of numbers instead of a username (example: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/1008304529) you can replace those numbers with the member's name you are trying to look up and then hit enter.

It's a workaround. Maybe they'll fix it at some point.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

If you get the 404 error, look at the URL. If you see a bunch of numbers instead of a username (example: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/1008304529) you can replace those numbers with the member's name you are trying to look up and then hit enter.

It's a workaround. Maybe they'll fix it at some point.

That is soooo useful, it works!

As for OP, now that I can finally access the diary: dinners and lunches look way way underestimated. Small quantities, and some entries where it isn't clear whether they are based on recipes entered by OP or just chosen from the database.

Examples:
    - Tracey's - Curried Sausages, 1 cup: no idea what this even is, but 111 calories for lunch seems really unlikely, especially if it includes sausages
    - Stew Beef - Stew Beef, 4 oz: perhaps 220 calories per 4 oz. is possible, but a lunch that weighs only 4 oz. seems highly unlikely.
    - Home Made - Crockpot Mince Stew, 100 g: perhaps 163kcal/100gr is possible, but again such a small lunch
    - Stirfry beef 4 ounces - 120 calories: yet again this seems like a tiny dinner
    - dinner for 233 calories - 0.5cup cauliflower, 100gr cooked cabbage, 4oz sirloin tip steak and 100gr leeks: 4 oz. of meat isn't a lot, and I imagine these foods were prepared using oil/butter too, which adds calories
  • yirara
    Options

- Tracey's - Curried Sausages, 1 cup: no idea what this even is, but 111 calories for lunch seems really unlikely, especially if it includes sausages

-> No idea how to measure a sausage in a cup to be honest, but lets assume it's a sausage and a small amount of sauce. A standard german sausage is about 300 calories. That's for a 100gr sausage. So this might be as little as 35 grams of sausage. Just to give some perspective.

- Stew Beef - Stew Beef, 4 oz: perhaps 220 calories per 4 oz. is possible, but a lunch that weighs only 4 oz. seems highly unlikely.

-> 4 oz are about 113 grams (need something I can work with). stew beef tends to be fairly fatty. 134-166 calories per 100 grams. So here we have beef, possibly a bit of veg, cooking oil and water. We could possibly fill the stew with 40gr beef (60 calories), 40 gr veg with potatoes (60 calories), water (nothing), 8gr oil (72 calories) = 192 calories plus stock and spices. Might work. But: 113grams is tiny! That's less than 100ml water. So basically a shotglass maybe. Seems unlikely.

- Home Made - Crockpot Mince Stew, 100 g: perhaps 163kcal/100gr is possible, but again such a small lunch

-> yeah, calories seem fairly ok, though I'd think mince might be higher in calories, depending on the type. Again, it's a portion the size of a shotglass.

- Stirfry beef 4 ounces - 120 calories: yet again this seems like a tiny dinner

-> this seems very low. 100gr beef and nothing else? Yeah. But there'll be oil, possibly veggies, spices, rice? And again a portion the size of a shotglass.

- dinner for 233 calories - 0.5cup cauliflower, 100gr cooked cabbage, 4oz sirloin tip steak and 100gr leeks: 4 oz. of meat isn't a lot, and I imagine these foods were prepared using oil/butter too, which adds calories

-> Yep.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    You said you’re not weighing.

Weight and volume aren’t the same thing but it might help to pull out a measuring cup or even a small coffee cup just to help visualize. Those would be eight ounces.

Now, imagine half of that as your four ounce meal. That’s only three or four spoonfuls.

Maybe that would help you see the value / accuracy in weighing?

And btw, 100grams sounds like a lot to American ears, but is only a fraction more than 3.5 ounces. That’s even less than that half a cup meal.
  • springlering62
    Options
    @springlering62 - Can I ask you what you experience on the site when you attempt to view someone's diary? My experience is: '...page you were looking for could not be found' when I click on 'member's profile.
    I am trying to figure out if it's the same 'glitch' in the system that others seem to be having, or if it's just my system.

I am able to view friend's dairies though...

This is what I see in the iOS app, and it “loads” indefinitely:
    iiqabidhu7yz.png
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I am nearly 53.I am 5ft 6.I am about 86kg.I have been doing a lot of exercise. Weightlifting and walking the dog. I dont weigh my food. Its hard because my husband cooks for me. My food diary is set to public. I will check it though.

Alas, if you're not losing weight while eating 1000 calories, you are not in fact eating 1000 calories. Please don't take this personally - miscalculating is very common.

Perhaps you and your husband can figure out a way to get weights for your foods. But some of your entries just don't make sense. In addition to what others have mentioned already, I am dubious about "Muller Light - Porridge Made With Yoghurt, 20 g"

I don't have this exact thing on hand, but as a rough approximation, here is what a yield of 20 g oats and yogurt would look like before it was cooked. This is a 1 C measuring cup and it is much less than 1/4 C:

1gyy8jmfd968.png
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that's what MFP used to pull in entries.

Your entry for sirloin tip steak - Steak, 4 ounce 170 calories is not a ADMIN-created entry that MFP pulled from the USDA database - these indicate the "raw" or "cooked" state for meat.

Beef, bottom sirloin, tri-tip roast, separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, choice, raw: 4 oz = 197 calories.
    Beef, bottom sirloin, tri-tip roast, separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, choice, cooked, roasted: 4 oz = 221 calories.

If your steak was cooked, that is a difference of 51 calories if you had 4 ounces, but since you're not weighing, it could have been heavier, possibly MUCH heavier.

The day I got my food scale was the last morning I had my peanut butter and banana breakfast smoothie, because 32 grams of peanut butter is WAY smaller than what I thought :disappointed:
  • yirara
    Options
    Hey estherpotter, it's great that you reached out. Many of these inconsistencies are easy to make. We just don't think about how much 4oz of food is, or how fast we move. I hope you don't mind that we're geeking out a bit and that you take something home from this. So if you've neither gained nor lost weight over a longer period of time then it simply means you've been eating at maintenance level. To get an idea how many calories those are you could set MFP to maintenance and see how many calories this gives you. Add a bit extra for exercising. Basically, in order to lose weight if you're weight has been stable over the past three years you have to eat less than you've been eating.
  • springlering62
    Options
    All of this is said with love and interest in helping you be your best you!

~sez the lady who innocently thought a 2 mile walks burned off a family pack of DoubleStuff Oreos. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️