Mediterranean Diet

Options
Is anyone on the Mediterranean diet? I found a group but there is no activity. Was wondering how this way of eating is working out for those of you who follow it.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Working for what? What do you expect from this?

I naturally eat a diet high in grains, fruit and veg, and olive oil with moderate meat, dairy and fish. It's super tasty and it's a way of eating that keeps me full and happy. So I guess it 'works'.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I don't even know what it means really. The original hypothesis doesn't include all the countries of the Med and then that data was cherry picked by Key's from his original 7 country study to represent what he called "med diet" back in the 50's. It was actually a 22 country study where he omitted most of the countries because it didn't fit his belief that saturated fat and cholesterol caused heart disease and that didn't align with his hypothesis and omitted them, and he's been eternally criticized for that ever since, but of course that is never really been a talking point and now it's just dogma. The basic problem with this hypothesis isn't that non Med countries cuisines are less nutritious it's because they were never included to begin with. Anyway, anytime a person eats food that are from whole and mostly unprocessed natural sources and because that is the basic take away from the "med diet", people will generally get the same rewards, from a nutritional stand point. And, just to add flippantly, the bus may say swiss milk on the side of that bus, but it doesn't mean that bus is going to Switzerland. cheers.
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I naturally eat a diet high in grains, fruit and veg, and olive oil with moderate meat, dairy and fish. It's super tasty and it's a way of eating that keeps me full and happy. So I guess it 'works'.

Thank you. I was wondering if it was filling. Sorry I didn' clarify that better. Has it lowered your cholesterol, too?
  • MichelleV1990
    Options
    I don't even know what it means really. The original hypothesis doesn't include all the countries of the Med and then that data was cherry picked by Key's from his original 7 country study to represent what he called "med diet" back in the 50's. It was actually a 22 country study where he omitted most of the countries because it didn't fit his belief that saturated fat and cholesterol caused heart disease and that didn't align with his hypothesis and omitted them, and he's been eternally criticized for that ever since, but of course that is never really been a talking point and now it's just dogma. The basic problem with this hypothesis isn't that non Med countries cuisines are less nutritious it's because they were never included to begin with. Anyway, anytime a person eats food that are from whole and mostly unprocessed natural sources and because that is the basic take away from the "med diet", people will generally get the same rewards, from a nutritional stand point. And, just to add flippantly, the bus may say swiss milk on the side of that bus, but it doesn't mean that bus is going to Switzerland. cheers.

Wow, thank you! That was very informative!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thank you. I was wondering if it was filling. Sorry I didn' clarify that better. Has it lowered your cholesterol, too?

Ok, thanks a lot for coming back <3
    I never had high cholesterol, thus I don't know. I do find it keeps me full and happy. However, I think you need to figure out what keeps YOU full and happy because that's totally individual. Some people thrive on a diet high in carbs, others would gnaw their arm off. The same for fats and protein. Some people will always say that lots of protein keeps you full. However, for me, it's a reflux trigger especially if it's protein without fat in the same product (don't ask, it's an odd one). At the same time some people will feel totally full and happy on a diet high in fats. This is a diet where I'd gnaw my arms off because it doesn't fill me at all. Give me a portion of rice and I'm happy. Neanderthin above would possibly go hungry even after a double portion. Who knows.

So what I'm trying to say is that only a way of eating that makes you, as an individual happy and full will 'work' even though the weightloss and health industry is telling you that everyone can do a, b or c. It's just not true. We're all different and our bodies need different nutrition (excluding specific medical dietary needs here). I'd think though that it's generally a good idea to eat and cook with good produce and not too much ready-made products.
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2023
    Options

I never had high cholesterol, thus I don't know. I do find it keeps me full and happy. However, I think you need to figure out what keeps YOU full and happy because that's totally individual. Some people thrive on a diet high in carbs, others would gnaw their arm off. The same for fats and protein. Some people will always say that lots of protein keeps you full. However, for me, it's a reflux trigger especially if it's protein without fat in the same product (don't ask, it's an odd one). At the same time some people will feel totally full and happy on a diet high in fats. This is a diet where I'd gnaw my arms off because it doesn't fill me at all. Give me a portion of rice and I'm happy. Neanderthin above would possibly go hungry even after a double portion. Who knows.

So what I'm trying to say is that only a way of eating that makes you, as an individual happy and full will 'work' even though the weightloss and health industry is telling you that everyone can do a, b or c. It's just not true. We're all different and our bodies need different nutrition (excluding specific medical dietary needs here). I'd think though that it's generally a good idea to eat and cook with good produce and not too much ready-made products.

Well, I'll tell you. I love rice in all it's forms. I make risotto once in a while, love risotto, especially when I use cepes. I make Thai stir fries and use jamine and love jamines mouth feel and ability to absorb sauce. I just made beef and broccoli with a fermented black beans sauce with ginger and garlic with long grain rice and I'll be consuming that until I'm no longer vertical. I make a seasoned sushi rice for a fish dish with a curry sauce and used basmati with the many Indian dishes I make. Yeah, I love rice.

Unfortunately I can't eat them all the time which has to do with IR and blood glucose and how they effect my hunger hormones, it's a slippery slop into over eating and increasing my A1C and CRP which is a definite no go. I'm low carb to very low carb depending on my lifestyle schedule and sometimes I can sneak in some grain and mostly because these are primarily glucose sources which don't really effect visceral fat, which is where all the bad stuff happens and let me just give a shout out to baguettes, focaccia and pasta, especially hard pasta. Cheers
  • MichelleV1990
    Options

You are so right. I never could follow a specific diet. The body definitely finds its own rhythm. I have a neurological disease that is robbing me of my balance and the muscles in my hands and feet. My weight loss (50 lbs. since January) has been accomplished through food alone. A lot of the Mediterranean recipes look pretty good so maybe I will just incorporate some into what I am already doing and have the best of both worlds. Mixing it up a bit might help me get past the plateaus a little quicker. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me! :)
  • MichelleV1990
    Options

Well, I'll tell you. I love rice in all it's forms. I make risotto once in a while, love risotto, especially when I use cepes. I make Thai stir fries and use jamine and love jamines mouth feel and ability to absorb sauce. I just made beef and broccoli with a fermented black beans sauce with ginger and garlic with long grain rice and I'll be consuming that until I'm no longer vertical. I make a seasoned sushi rice for a fish dish with a curry sauce and used basmati with the many Indian dishes I make. Yeah, I love rice.

Unfortunately I can't eat them all the time which has to do with IR and blood glucose and how they effect my hunger hormones, it's a slippery slop into over eating and increasing my A1C and CRP which is a definite no go. I'm low carb to very low carb depending on my lifestyle schedule and sometimes I can sneak in some grain and mostly because these are primarily glucose sources which don't really effect visceral fat, which is where all the bad stuff happens and let me just give a shout out to baguettes, focaccia and pasta, especially hard pasta. Cheers

It really stinks when the foods we love so much don't synch with our ailments! I love salty things but am supposed to avoid them because my muscle loss causes circulation problems and edema in my legs and feet. The doctor thought it was congestive heart failure until testing showed my heart is fine and that Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is the real culprit. It killed me today to eat cucumbers without a salt shaker in hand! I love rice dishes, too. Have you ever tried swapping out quinoa for rice? I have never eaten quinoa but from what I've read, I think I will give it a try. Thank you for all your input. I really appreciate the time you have taken to enlighten me also!
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I feel I eat a mostly Mediterranean diet, as far as the one recommended by health professionals and on various internet sites. It works really well for me. I've maintained a healthy weight most my life and just need to lose 10-15 pounds because of not being as active as I used to be.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,006 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    This is the one I'm talking about..probably not an authentic, traditional diet. More influenced by the Mediterranean. 😁
    What is the Mediterranean Diet?
    The Mediterranean Diet is a way of eating that emphasizes plant-based foods and healthy fats.

In general, if you follow a Mediterranean Diet, you’ll eat:

Lots of vegetables, fruit, beans, lentils and nuts.
    Lots of whole grains, like whole-wheat bread and brown rice.
    Plenty of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) as a source of healthy fat.
    A moderate amount of fish, especially fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
    A moderate amount of cheese and yogurt.
    Little or no meat, choosing poultry instead of red meat.
    Little or no sweets, sugary drinks or butter.
    A moderate amount of wine with meals (but if you don’t already drink, don’t start).
    A dietitian can help you modify this diet as needed based on your medical history, underlying conditions, allergies and preferences.

What is the definition of the Mediterranean Diet?
    There are many definitions of the diet (each with slightly different goals for servings). That’s because the diet focuses on overall eating patterns rather than strict formulas or calculations. It’s also based on eating patterns across many different Mediterranean countries, each with their own nuances. Because there’s no single definition, the Mediterranean Diet is flexible, and you can tailor it to your needs.

What are the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet?
    The Mediterranean Diet has many benefits, including:

Lowering your risk of cardiovascular disease.
    Supporting a body weight that’s healthy for you.
    Supporting healthy blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol.
    Lowering your risk of metabolic syndrome.
    Supporting a healthy balance of gut microbiota (bacteria and other microorganisms) in your digestive system.
    Lowering your risk for certain types of cancer.
    Slowing the decline of brain function as you age.
    Helping you live longer.
    Cardiologists often recommend the Mediterranean Diet because extensive research supports its heart-healthy benefits. One study (published in 2018) looked at people at high risk of cardiovascular disease over a five-year period. These people were split into two groups. One group followed the Mediterranean Diet, and the other group followed a low-fat diet. The Mediterranean Diet group had a 30% lower relative risk of cardiovascular events compared to the low-fat diet group. Such events included heart attack, stroke or cardiovascular-related death.

Researchers believe these protective benefits are partly due to the healthy fats you eat with the Mediterranean Diet. These come from foods like olive oil, nuts and fish.

Why is the Mediterranean Diet good for me?
    The Mediterranean Diet includes many different nutrients that work together to help your body. There’s no single food or ingredient responsible for the Mediterranean Diet’s benefits. Instead, the diet is good for you because of the combination of nutrients it provides.

Think of a choir with many people singing. One voice alone might carry part of the tune, but you need all the voices to come together to achieve the full effect. Similarly, the Mediterranean Diet works by giving you an ideal blend of nutrients that harmonize to support your health.

A Mediterranean Diet is good for you because it:

Limits saturated fat and trans fat. You need some saturated fat, but only in small amounts. Eating too much saturated fat can raise your LDL (bad) cholesterol. A high LDL raises your risk of plaque buildup in your arteries (atherosclerosis). Trans fat has no health benefits. Both of these “unhealthy fats” can cause inflammation.
    Encourages healthy unsaturated fats, including omega-3 fatty acids. Unsaturated fats promote healthy cholesterol levels, support brain health and combat inflammation. Plus, a diet high in unsaturated fats and low in saturated fat promotes healthy blood sugar levels.
    Limits sodium. A diet high in sodium can raise your blood pressure, putting you at greater risk for a heart attack or stroke.
    Limits refined carbohydrates, including sugar. Foods high in refined carbs can cause your blood sugar to spike. Refined carbs also give you excess calories without much nutritional benefit. For example, such foods often have little or no fiber.
    Favors foods high in fiber and antioxidants. These nutrients help reduce inflammation throughout your body. Fiber also helps keep waste moving through your large intestine. Antioxidants protect you against cancer by warding off free radicals.
    Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy

What does the Mediterranean Diet look like?
    The Mediterranean Diet doesn’t look the same for everyone. In general, it includes lots of whole grains, vegetables, and fruit along with moderate amounts of fish, legumes and nuts.

The chart below shows some serving goals and tips that dietitians often recommend. It’s important to talk to a dietitian about your individual needs and goals so you can develop a plan that’s best for you.

Food
    Fresh fruits and vegetables
    Serving Goal
    Fruit: 3 servings per day

Veggies: At least 3 servings per day

Serving Size
    Fruit: ½ cup to 1 cup

Veggies: ½ cup cooked or 1 cup raw

Tips
    Have at least 1 serving of veggies at each meal.

Choose fruit as a snack.

Whole grains and starchy vegetables (potatoes, peas and corn)
    Serving Goal
    3 to 6 servings per day
    Serving Size
    ½ cup cooked grains, pasta or cereal; 1 slice of bread; 1 cup dry cereal
    Tips
    Choose oats, barley, quinoa or brown rice.

Bake or roast red skin potatoes or sweet potatoes.

Choose whole grain bread, cereal, couscous and pasta.

Limit or avoid refined carbohydrates.

Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
    Serving Goal
    1 to 4 servings per day
    Serving Size
    1 tablespoon
    Tips
    Use instead of vegetable oil and animal fats (butter, sour cream, mayo).

Drizzle on salads, cooked veggies or pasta.

Use as dip for bread.

Legumes (beans and lentils)
    Serving Goal
    3 servings per week
    Serving Size
    ½ cup
    Tips
    Add to salads, soups and pasta dishes.

Try hummus or bean dip with raw veggies.

Opt for a veggie or bean burger.

Fish
    Serving Goal
    3 servings per week
    Serving Size
    3 to 4 ounces
    Tips
    Choose fish rich in omega-3s, like salmon, sardines, herring, tuna and mackerel.
    Nuts
    Serving Goal
    At least 3 servings per week
    Serving Size
    ¼ cup nuts or 2 tablespoons nut butter
    Tips
    Ideally, choose walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts.

Add to cereal, salad and yogurt.

Choose raw, unsalted and dry roasted varieties.

Eat alone or with dried fruit as a snack.

Poultry
    Serving Goal
    No more than once daily (fewer may be better)
    Serving Size
    3 ounces
    Tips
    Choose white meat instead of dark meat.

Eat in place of red meat.

Choose skinless poultry or remove the skin before cooking.

Bake, broil or grill it.

Dairy
    Serving Goal
    No more than once daily (fewer may be better)
    Serving Size
    1 cup milk or yogurt; 1 ½ ounces natural cheese
    Tips
    Choose naturally low-fat cheese.

Choose fat-free or 1% milk, yogurt and cottage cheese.

Avoid whole-fat milk, cream, and cream-based sauces and dressings.

Eggs
    Serving Goal
    Up to 1 yolk per day
    Serving Size
    1 egg (yolk + white)
    Tips
    Limit egg yolks.

No limit on egg whites.

If you have high cholesterol, have no more than 4 yolks per week.

Red meat (beef, pork, veal and lamb)
    Serving Goal
    None, or no more than 1 serving per week
    Serving Size
    3 ounces
    Tips
    Limit to lean cuts, such as tenderloin, sirloin and flank steak.
    Wine (optional)
    Serving Goal
    1 serving per day (people assigned female at birth)

2 servings per day (people assigned male at birth)

Serving Size
    1 glass (3 ½ ounces)
    Tips
    If you don’t drink, the American Heart Association cautions you not to start drinking.

Talk to your healthcare provider about the benefits and risks of consuming alcohol in moderation.

Baked goods and desserts
    Serving Goal
    Avoid commercially prepared baked goods and desserts.

Limit homemade goods to no more than 3 servings per week

Serving Size
    Varies by type
    Tips
    Instead, choose fruit and nonfat yogurt.

Bake using liquid oil instead of solid fats; whole grain flour instead of bleached or enriched flour; egg whites instead of whole eggs.

How do I start a Mediterranean Diet?
    You may have many questions as you begin a new eating plan. It’s important to consult with a primary care physician or dietitian before making drastic changes to your diet or trying any new eating plan. They’ll make sure your intended plan is best for you based on your individual needs. They’ll also share meal plans and recipes for you to try at home.

As you get started, you might wonder how much you can modify the Mediterranean Diet without losing its benefits. Remember that the Mediterranean Diet is a general approach to eating. It’s not a strict diet with hard and fast rules. As a result, you can adapt it to suit your needs (ideally with a dietitian’s help).

Below are answers to some common questions you might have about modifications.

Can the Mediterranean Diet be vegetarian?
    Yes. If you prefer a vegetarian diet, you can easily modify the Mediterranean Diet to exclude meat and fish. In that case, you’d gain your protein solely from plant sources like nuts and beans. Talk to a dietitian to learn more.

Can the Mediterranean Diet be gluten-free?
    Yes. You can modify recipes to exclude gluten-based products. Talk to a dietitian for recipe ideas and support in making necessary changes.

Can I use regular olive oil instead of extra virgin olive oil?
    Regular olive oil is a good alternative to oil that’s high in saturated fat (like palm oil). However, to get the most benefits, opt for extra virgin olive oil.

A crucial fact to know before starting the Mediterranean Diet is that not all olive oils are the same. The Mediterranean Diet calls for extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), specifically. That’s because it has a healthy fat ratio. This means EVOO contains more healthy fat (unsaturated) than unhealthy fat (saturated). Aside from its fat ratio, EVOO is healthy because it’s high in antioxidants.

Antioxidants help protect your heart and reduce inflammation throughout your body. Because it’s manufactured differently, regular olive oil doesn’t contain these antioxidants.

Can I eat pizza on the Mediterranean Diet?
    It depends how you prepare it. Many American-style pizzas are high in sodium, saturated fat and calories. These aspects make it less than ideal for meeting your Mediterranean Diet goals. Instead of ordering out, try making your own heart-healthy pizza to get more nutritional benefits.

Can I eat foods from non-Mediterranean cultures?
    The Mediterranean Diet describes eating patterns in one specific area of the world. That doesn’t mean you should exclude foods and recipes from other cultural traditions.

It’s important to develop an eating plan that’s healthy for you physically, emotionally and socially. The Mediterranean Diet offers a way of eating that research links to many health benefits. This diet focuses on general patterns of eating. It doesn’t ask you to scrutinize every single food choice or eliminate specific foods.

So, there’s room to adjust the Mediterranean Diet to your preferences and cultural traditions. This might mean keeping some traditional recipes the same (no ingredient substitutions) and eating them only on special occasions. Some recipes might be just as tasty and special to you with some substitutions (like olive oil instead of butter, or extra herbs instead of salt). Working with a dietitian can help you decide when and how to make substitutions or other changes to your meaningful recipes.

How does lifestyle relate to the Mediterranean Diet?
    To get the most from your eating plan, try to:

Exercise regularly, ideally with others.
    Avoid smoking or using any tobacco products.
    Prepare and enjoy meals with family and friends.
    Cook more often than you eat out.
    Eat locally sourced foods whenever possible.
    When was the Mediterranean Diet created?
    The concept of the Mediterranean Diet began in the 1950s. That’s when an American researcher named Ancel Keys began the Seven Countries Study. This study spanned decades. It investigated links between diet and cardiovascular disease around the world.

As part of the study, Keys and his team looked at eating patterns in Greece and Italy in the 1950s and 1960s. They found those eating patterns were linked with lower rates of coronary artery disease (compared with eating patterns in the U.S. and Northern Europe). Thus, the heart-healthy Mediterranean Diet was born.

So, if you follow a Mediterranean Diet today, you’re eating like people did in certain Mediterranean countries in the mid-20th century. Research shows those patterns have shifted over the years and no longer hold true in many Mediterranean countries.

There are visual pyramids and other guidelines that show you how to put a Mediterranean Diet into practice. A dietitian can help you review such resources and explain how to use them in your daily life.

A note from Cleveland Clinic

In a world with endless diet options, it can be hard to know which one is right for you. Research has proven the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet for many people, especially those at risk for heart disease. Beyond protecting your heart, the Mediterranean Diet can help you prevent or manage many other conditions.

As with any eating plan, it’s important to talk to a healthcare provider before getting started. They’ll make sure the plan is appropriate for you and help you modify it as needed. Also, tell your loved ones about your goals. Invite them to cook and share meals with you. It’s easier to follow an eating plan over the long term when you have a supportive community with you along the way.

FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint
    Medically Reviewed
    Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 11/20/2022.

Learn more about our editorial process.

References
    Get useful, helpful and relevant health + wellness information
    Visit Health Essentials
  • MichelleV1990
    Options
    I feel I eat a mostly Mediterranean diet, as far as the one recommended by health professionals and on various internet sites. It works really well for me. I've maintained a healthy weight most my life and just need to lose 10-15 pounds because of not being as active as I used to be.

Thank you so much for all the amazing information! I wish I would have taken better care of myself years ago. I was at my best weight and exercise wise when I was 38 years old. I actually was 117 pounds; which is what I weighed as a senior in high school. I can't stop the progression of my muscular disease, but I can help reduce inflammation, heart disease, etc. Now to process and "digest" all this information you so generously shared!
  • neanderthin
    Options

It really stinks when the foods we love so much don't synch with our ailments! I love salty things but am supposed to avoid them because my muscle loss causes circulation problems and edema in my legs and feet. The doctor thought it was congestive heart failure until testing showed my heart is fine and that Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is the real culprit. It killed me today to eat cucumbers without a salt shaker in hand! I love rice dishes, too. Have you ever tried swapping out quinoa for rice? I have never eaten quinoa but from what I've read, I think I will give it a try. Thank you for all your input. I really appreciate the time you have taken to enlighten me also!

I like quinoa but would never actually replace rice with quinoa. I don't eat a lot of quinoa but make a dish with grilled and charred veg along with olive oil, garlic, cherry tomatoes, kalamata's, lemon, parsley and what ever other herbs I might have and that changes all the time and make a cold salad as a garnish and keep it in the fridge or when I just want something quick.
  • MichelleV1990
    Options

I like quinoa but would never actually replace rice with quinoa. I don't eat a lot of quinoa but make a dish with grilled and charred veg along with olive oil, garlic, cherry tomatoes, kalamata's, lemon, parsley and what ever other herbs I might have and that changes all the time and make a cold salad as a garnish and keep it in the fridge or when I just want something quick.

Ooh, that sounds delicious! Do you have a flat top griddle or do you cook it on a regular grill?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Ooh, that sounds delicious! Do you have a flat top griddle or do you cook it on a regular grill?

I have what's called in Canada a BBQ and I have 2. One is a commercial grade BBQ with a water reservoir that I use for catering and pumps out 80,000 BTU with 4 burners, and I also have a charcoal grill similar to a green egg, I use the propane for most small stuff, it's quick.
  • MichelleV1990
    Options

I have what's called in Canada a BBQ and I have 2. One is a commercial grade BBQ with a water reservoir that I use for catering and pumps out 80,000 BTU with 4 burners, and I also have a charcoal grill similar to a green egg, I use the propane for most small stuff, it's quick.

We just got a flat top but haven't had the chance to use it with all the rainy days we've been having. Hoping to bust it out tomorrow if the weather holds. Yours sounds like quite the appliance! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    My mother basically eats the Med diet as described above: "lots of whole grains, vegetables, and fruit along with moderate amounts of fish, legumes and nuts." Due to this, her very high activity level, and skipping meals when she's busy, she struggles to stay above Underweight.
  • benhmorris63
    benhmorris63 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My wife and I don't follow any 'diet' per se in the "I'm going to diet to lose weight sense." (you go on a diet, you go off a diet, and you're right back where you started), but our normal dietary habits tend to lean Mediterranean, as it is typically defined (lots of whole fruits and vegetables, nuts, hummus, Greek yogurt, fish, not to mention a good glass of wine!). We also eat chicken, egg whites, cottage cheese, and an occasional steak. We have good body weights and are in very good health for our respective ages. We also exercise almost daily. That's important! While we may do some weights, the biggest part is simply walking, whether on a treadmill, elliptical, at work, or just around town. Moving our bodies while maintaining a good healthy diet overall, is a key ingredient to our health.
  • MichelleV1990
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My mother basically eats the Med diet as described above: "lots of whole grains, vegetables, and fruit along with moderate amounts of fish, legumes and nuts." Due to this, her very high activity level, and skipping meals when she's busy, she struggles to stay above Underweight.

I wish I had a little more of your mother's discipline. I hope she can find a good balance to make up for those missed meals.
  • MichelleV1990
    Options
    My wife and I don't follow any 'diet' per se in the "I'm going to diet to lose weight sense." (you go on a diet, you go off a diet, and you're right back where you started), but our normal dietary habits tend to lean Mediterranean, as it is typically defined (lots of whole fruits and vegetables, nuts, hummus, Greek yogurt, fish, not to mention a good glass of wine!). We also eat chicken, egg whites, cottage cheese, and an occasional steak. We have good body weights and are in very good health for our respective ages. We also exercise almost daily. That's important! While we may do some weights, the biggest part is simply walking, whether on a treadmill, elliptical, at work, or just around town. Moving our bodies while maintaining a good healthy diet overall, is a key ingredient to our health.

Unfortunately, I have a progressive neuromuscular disease that has robbed me of my ability to move the way you and your wife are blessed to do. If I can get as good of a handle on my eating habits as you both have, I will be elated! I am getting ready to try quinoa for the first time. If you have a favorite dish you'd like to share, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for posting!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Might want to look for reviews of your quinoa brand to see if it tends to be bitter. If so, you can rinse it:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/why-does-my-quinoa-taste-bitter-995970

I think my mother just cooks and eats it like plain rice:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/basic-steamed-quinoa-2254381

I used to make a much more complicated recipe with millet, rice, quinoa, and veggies, staggering the additions of the grains/seeds as they all have different cooking times.