Supplemental Protein

Options
ilfaith
ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
Everywhere I go, I feel like I see protein powders, protein bars, protein drinks and other supplemental products, which has me wondering whether I should be adding additional protein to my diet.

I am a woman in my mid 50s, not looking to lose or gain weight, but wanting to maintain or build muscle (and bone density) as I age. While I don’t follow a specific diet, I would say the foods I choose align most with a Mediterranean diet. I eat seafood and occasionally poultry, but not red meat (no moral objection, I just don’t care for the taste and texture.)

I have counted calories, but never tracked macros. I also know that with a history of disordered eating, focusing too much on numbers can lead me down a slippery slope.

But my real question is, what a there a benefit to my adding additional protein to my diet? I am moderately active, playing tennis several times a week, walking or biking most other days, and swinging some lighter weights (<12lbs) around on a regular basis, often while following online workouts (FitOn, typically). I also work a part-time retail job that keeps me on my feet. But if I am not lifting heavy, will adding protein make a difference?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    How many grams are you getting per pound currently?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Sure, increasing protein whether they be animal or plant have a lot of health benefits. Gram for gram, animal protein sources are more complete, have better absorption and muscle building effects, have more additional nutrients, and contain fewer calories. Soy would be my first choice of protein if I had to choose a dominant plant protein as part of total protein mainly because of the absorption and bioavailability issues of most plant proteins and because soy's bioavailability is close to beef, around 91%, while wheat is around 40%, so keep that in mind. We are animals after all, and why animal protein is more easily absorbed and bioavailable and of course a combination, which is what most omnivores do will work just fine. Personally I consume around 1 gram per lb of body weight, mostly from animal sources but I'm not overweight and maintain right now, so that's around 175g's and I workout 2 or 3 times a week and fairly active. I'm also low carb so my bias is towards animal protein and fat, just getting that out there. Cheers
  • ilfaith
    Options

Way less than one gram per pound. Looking at past food logs, I seem to range from 50-70 grams per day. I weigh around 105 (I am short.)
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »

Way less than one gram per pound. Looking at past food logs, I seem to range from 50-70 grams per day. I weigh around 105 (I am short.)
    Say an average of 0.6g per pound. That's a very good amount. That sounds like plenty for someone not doing progressive overload lifting.

When people talk about increasing protein, e.g. encouraging older people to increase, that's assuming the low amounts the typical person is getting. You're fine. If you were pushing the lifting harder, I'd say maybe add another 20g.
  • ilfaith
    Options

Say an average of 0.6g per pound. That's a very good amount. That sounds like plenty for someone not doing progressive overload lifting.

When people talk about increasing protein, e.g. encouraging older people to increase, that's assuming the low amounts the typical person is getting. You're fine. If you were pushing the lifting harder, I'd say maybe add another 20g.

Thank you. It is interesting, considering the amount of shelf space being taken up by various protein supplements, that the average person probably does not require more protein than they are already getting. So who makes up the market for all these supplements? I would venture that most people I come across strolling the aisles of the local box stores aren’t lifting heavy at the gym on a regular basis.
  • Retroguy2000
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Yeah, maybe some hype contributing.

It may also be overeight people buying more protein because it's satiating and helps to retain muscle during weight loss.

The USDA rec is about 10% of calories from protein. Many groups of people could benefit from more: muscle building, weight loss, older. That all adds up to a huge % of the population.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Not alarmingly low, but if it were me, I'd want a little more than that. YMMV. But IMO getting nutrients from food is always the best bet.

I'm F, 5'5", around 130 pounds (prefer to be a few pounds less ;) ), and target 100g minimum daily, which I figure is just above 1g per pound of lean body mass, and is about 0.8g per pound of preferred weight. I usually exceed that. I do go for relatively high protein because I'm aging (67), active, vegetarian.

As background, this site (which doesn't sell/advertise supplements) has a review of relevant research about protein needs/benefits, and a "calculator" based on their assessment:

https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/
    https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/

You're getting closer to the age where protein absorption may start decreasing. This has a pretty nuanced discussion of research related to protein and aging, along with some recommendations:

https://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(13)00326-5/fulltext

The popularity of supplements probably has something to do with trendiness, blogosphere mythology, and bro science, i.e., not just actual needs. IMU, most developed-world folks get adequate protein, though under-consumption is somewhat common (and risky) among seniors.