The three day a week challenge?

Options
Hello... I'm 50lbs overweight... 57 years old... play cello and garden... I am going to endeavour to do (at least) 3 fitness activities per week... and will put them here with the hopes of others adding their accomplishments ... for support and motivation. currently Im eating a box (looks like I'll make it through the whole thing)... of Breton crackers for lunch.. things have to change.

Replies

• Tekibee
    Tekibee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    day 3.. 1 hour hike through the woods.. focused, and still feel motivated. (lol, I realize I'm only 3 days in, but sometimes I start in the morning and have lost my mojo by afternoon!) . Great concert last night, Stephen Fearing with Rick Moody... wonderful!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Tekibee wrote: »
    day 3.. 1 hour hike through the woods.. focused, and still feel motivated. (lol, I realize I'm only 3 days in, but sometimes I start in the morning and have lost my mojo by afternoon!) . Great concert last night, Stephen Fearing with Rick Moody... wonderful!

I generally feel much more motivated and energetic earlier in my day, so usually that's when I work out. It makes sense!
  • Tekibee
    Options
    day 4... had a lunch time glitch at my Dads ( cake and ice cream).. but recovered with an hour and a half hike after work.. followed by a lean dinner.. and am under my calorie goal.. maybe I'll have some dessert?
    Does anyone habitually run UNDER their calorie budget? I've heard its not as healthy.. but if you're under because you exercised.... isnt that different?
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i often don't eat all my calories, but i'm losing weight very slowly and feel fine. keep in mind that the MFP calorie estimates are averages, so you may burn more or less calories than it gives you, depending on a variety of factors.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Tekibee wrote: »
    day 4... had a lunch time glitch at my Dads ( cake and ice cream).. but recovered with an hour and a half hike after work.. followed by a lean dinner.. and am under my calorie goal.. maybe I'll have some dessert?
    Does anyone habitually run UNDER their calorie budget? I've heard its not as healthy.. but if you're under because you exercised.... isnt that different?

A little under is fine. (So is a little over.) Quite far under is OK, if it's rare. (Ditto for over.)

Consistently or frequently way over or way under: Counterproductive.

Aim to average approximately your goal calories over a few days to a week: That would be my advice.

Energetically (calorie wise), eating 1400 and exercising 500 is equivalent to eating 900 with no exercise, assuming all the calorie estimates are reasonably accurate. It's probably not a great plan, medium/long term.

Nutritionally, eating 1400 rather than 900 has the potential to be better, depending on how one spends those extra 500 calories. That's good, but it doesn't make up for eating too few calories.

Very fast weight loss isn't necessarily a good idea for health, and can make it tough to stay the course long enough to lose a meaningful total amount of weight.

Your plan to do 3 active things a week is a good one. Choosing things you actually enjoy is ideal.

All of that said, it's the eating side of things - managing that to sustain a sensibly moderate average calorie deficit - that will lead to weight management success IME.

I lost a bit over 50 pounds at age 59-60. This is doable! (I'm 67 now, still maintaining a healthy weight since loss.)

I'm cheering for you to succeed: The quality of life improvement is worth the effort, IME.
  • lobrooks65
    lobrooks65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have also committed to 3 days a week for exercise but do not have certain days picked out. I did 4 days last week which I was proud of but sometimes lack the motivation I need to keep going.
  • Tekibee
    Options
    I can't believe I've been doing mfp (off and on...mostly off) for 11 years. I just did my measurements today (first time in five years) and have gained over 6 inches all over! Interestingly most of the inches were across the waist... so not good!! I however was interested to see that MFP keeps all your recorded data over the years.. so way back when.. I had a 36 inch waist... (today that looks good... back then I felt fat... ) Now I have a 40 inch waist.. More focused then ever! I'm reading a good book on brain health which is intimately related to overall health.. I'm back on MFP with a vengeance.. I'm participating in the community section.. I WILL do this. lost 1.4 this week.. am happy. Hiking a short walk yesterday. 38 minutes.
  • Tekibee
    Options
    ive been on vacation, so not posting. But I have been active. I went caving for the first time.. I thought it would be a "walk" thru a cave.. not so. A lot of climbing, clambering, crouching and crawling thru small spaces! I had a couple moments where I thought panic would set in, but I talked myself thru.. and did it .. and hour and a half.. it was FABULOUS! I feel like I could conquer the world!!.. well maybe not, but at least I can tackle the weight thing!!
    How is everyone else doing?
  • Tekibee
    Options
    fasted today (first time)... so didn't eat for 14 hours... first meal was at lunch. It was surprisingly easy! I thought I would feel faint by 10 am.. but not so. hmm.. had a healthy lunch and feel ready to go.. despite having a horrible nights sleep.
  • Tekibee
    Options
    Well over one month in. I'm still doing it! Wow! I've lost 8.8 lbs since starting back 5 weeks ago. Yesterday the gym was closed, so went sketching with a friend in town. We brought our bikes so we could sketch in different spots along the water... exercise and FUN!!! yup. that's the way to go. it was a glorious sunny autumn day... life is good.
    We stopped at a cafe.. and I had a buttermilk biscuit.. the most AMAZING biscuit I've ever had.. no butter, no jam.. just the biscuit.. it felt so decadent.. but that's all I had for lunch. That's it. It was a treat, I enjoyed it.. I move on. No guilt. No quitting. A mindful choice with healthy choices to support it (ie no butter etc).. I can do this.
  • Tekibee
    Options
    closing in on December 1.. so almost three months? Feels like forever! I fell off the rails a little, wasn't too interested in entering stuff in mfp.. too busy. I've been involved in a number of art shows so.. I seemed unable to do everything all at once.. but.. I have been doing what I can, when I can.. and also trying to adapt a tidier more organized lifestyle.. so.. that's been successful, the art shows have been successful and I'm ready to focus back on this.. maybe I can juggle it ALL! I'm officially down 9 pounds. 3 pounds a month, not exactly rocking it, but.. the turtle won the race in the end, didn't she?
    Have a great day all.