What did you wish you knew back when you first started lifting?

Options
This is a continuation from a post by @abbynormalartist from back in 2017. I Think it was a very inciteful discussion that didn't get as much momentum as it deserved.

Come on my fellow old gurus of iron. Let's hear that wisdom.

For me, I wish i understood the importance of carbohydrates and creatine. I overvalued protein and trained with extreme volume and frequency. Never understanding that stimulating muscle growth was only a small part of the equasion. Recovery, rest time and sleep are when you are actually growing. I wish I was kinder on my joints. I wish I took the time to understand my calorie needs and not just engorge myself like a fatty. Most of all, I wish I would have known about Mike Mentzer's teachings and the effectiveness of HIT (High Intensity Training).

Who's next?

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I wish I had realised the importance of protein.
    And not playing fuckarounditis with lifting programmes .

RPE. Rest periods. Wish I’d known about those in my first 2 years of lifting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Wish I would have trained legs a little harder in the beginning of my journey. Like many young guys I focused on chest and arms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Dan__Cote
    Dan__Cote Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your incite and wisdom. There's a ton of misinformation out there, dedicated to scamming you out of your hard earned money.....and time. I'm 38 y/o now (or level 38. It just sounds better) and have been lifting since I was 13. @ninerbuff , I feel you buddy. I was a card carrying member of the Upper Bod Squad for my first few years. @pandoragreen21 Absolutely. Been there too. Same weight, same reps, stagnant. @psuLemon I what mobility exercises are you doing? I need help with that too. @sollyn2312 Carbs and recovery time are your friend. I would recommend a tiny surplus of calories and directly train each muscle group once every week or 10 days. Your booty will grow! I'm no expert on waist training though. @claireychn074 absolutely. Stimulate growth, then rest and recover for an extended period. Old lions take a little longer to recover than young lions. @nossmf Yup. Trashed my shoulders in my youth and am paying for it now too. Great tip. @cupcakesandproteinshakes ...love your name lol
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Do NOT join Crossfit without having any lifting experience/athletic background. Just... don't.

Focus on form. Don't lift with your ego. Do everything with conscious intent. Learn how to breathe and brace. Take care of your joints. Be patient and consistent.

And, like others have said, the importance of macros!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    That is a very very long time back. I wish I knew that the workout programs in the bodybuilding magazines that the pros had way too much volume for anyone not on roids. I also wish I knew then that the basic compound lifts would put on strength and muscle far better than all the isolation stuff I did. Squats, Bench, OHP, Bent-over Rows, and Deadlifts would have been far more productive for me.
  • woodydamachine90
    Options
    Where to get certain things.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    To of hired a good quality PT from the off. Would of saved me a lot of years in achieving my physique.

That you can't out train a bad diet.

Not to call myself a powerlifter so I could justify eating like a pig, I didn't even compete.

To not look down on bodybuilding. I should of learnt their techniques and approach to nutrition.

To take more photos. I wish I had starting pictures to compare against. I take starting pictures with all my clients and it's so important as their journey progresses.

To get into a smaller, more focused gym from the off. Years of being in a commercial gym learning very little off other people was a waste.

To not keep chasing weight when I comes to growing arms and legs.

To not follow the teachings of Jordan Peters etc. Huge risk and damaging to the joints. Much prefer a lighter weight, higher volume approach. I grew more too.
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A few for me.

I wish I had learned how to brace properly, and generally about core stability. I found out about the theory from the beginning and was always trying to do the Valsava maneuver, but I wasn't doing it right. And I didn't know how to strengthen the movement with stuff like the McGill Big Three. So I spent 11 years struggling with a terrible back that could have been avoided, or at least not so bad.

I also wish that the first time I stalled, I had just found a good bodybuilder and let them train me for a year. Then back to strength stuff. I still don't entirely get bodybuilding, but no one knows as much about putting on muscle as they do. I recognized before long that to be strong and avoid injuries I needed to add some muscle but because I didn't take bodybuilding seriously I just rushed through exercises, didn't focus on technique and didn't train them progressively. As a result, the only real muscle I put on was my quads and pecs, because I front squat a lot and for whatever reason that's what benching does to me. I wish I had just put myself in the hands of a bodybuilder and said "I want to develop everything, but especially lower back, abs and triceps". It would have helped me with injuries and actually having triceps would have made a huge difference to my pressing. Plus I would have known how to do hypertrophy training after 1-2 years' lifting, instead of 13 years lifting.

I also wish I had known the difference that tracking your macros compared to winging it would make. I guess I didn't realize just how more protein I needed, mainly. Again, I think I would be a lot further down the road now.
  • 95km90
    95km90 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me it would be to not overtrain or if I did I should’ve put recovery as my first priority with enough nutritious food and sleep. Also wish I saw a chiro and a physio sooner since I dealt with overuse injuries which could’ve been prevented. And also wish I wasn’t so fixated on lifting heavy should’ve been focusing on how the movement felt and doing it right instead of chasing numbers.So basically as silly as it sounds just listen to your body lol.