It's the little things that add up

Options
I really wanted to eat these peanut butter and chocolate chips that I'd bought for my husband....they were in the cabinet and calling my name after an AWFUL and stressful day, plus really bad PMS. But I just kept busy and went to bed without eating them. I feel good about that :)
I feel like a good decision leads to more good decisions - upward spiral. I know myself, I won't just eat a teaspoon of them, it will be handfuls and I'll be happy in the moment, but feel bad physically and emotionally afterward.

Also, I have to put a hole in my belt because now the smallest one is too loose :)

Replies

• history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I also wanted a snack last night and ended up going for a single tiny 20-calorie potato. It was all I needed, really. Two months ago there would have been ice cream in the freezer, and that would have been my downfall. Makes me realize the potato was for actual hunger. The ice cream (cookies, pie, etc.) has never been about hunger. (Pleasure, yes, and we deserve that, but this is a whole other thing.)
  • Trisharrell76
    Trisharrell76 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Same thing happened to me but I was unsuccessful. I am just getting started on this journey and I thought I had my sugar cravings under control. I was feeling really proud of myself so I thought I could cook the lemon loaf cake I had in my pantry for a few months and only have one piece. Ration it out over a few weeks as special treats. Over a 12 hour period I ate 2/3rds of it :(
    I am proud of you and your self control. You are inspiring me to do better. Good Job
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me but I was unsuccessful. I am just getting started on this journey and I thought I had my sugar cravings under control. I was feeling really proud of myself so I thought I could cook the lemon loaf cake I had in my pantry for a few months and only have one piece. Ration it out over a few weeks as special treats. Over a 12 hour period I ate 2/3rds of it :(
    I am proud of you and your self control. You are inspiring me to do better. Good Job

Totally relate to this. I really wanted to make a banana cake about a month ago, but some things came up and then the moment was gone. In retrospect, it’s a good thing because I would have done the same as you. Now when I bake, I have to plan ahead to give some to my neighbours, put small wrapped portions in the freezer, etc. Maybe someday I’ll be able to have the stuff in the house, but it might be awhile. I have been having a half-square of Baker’s 70% chocolate every day without eating the whole box, so that’s progress. You will get there! These stories really do help.

• _Brigit
    _Brigit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Trisharrell76 - Don't feel too bad about it - I messed up last night and binged on ice cream and apple crisp :(
    It's always late night, when I'm exhausted and stressed and make terrible decisions. I guess I'm an all or nothing person. If something is highly processed/extremely full of fat/sugar/salt; then when a moment of weakness happens, I will way, way overeat that food. I'm trying to stay to all natural foods, as little processed as possible --- I never overdo it on those, it's hard to overeat veggies/fruits. Ice cream though...different story...and I'm lactose intolerant, so, extra bad for me.
    Oh well, we can continue to just move forward from today on....they say that nobody can turn back the clock to have a different past, but everyone can start today to make a different present/future :smile:

One of my favorite pastimes is watching TV with my husband while snacking. It's so comforting after a long day. This is why I put on weight. We've cut down on what we bring into the house. If it's not there we can't eat it. But I'm not going to deprive myself from cookies, cakes, popcorn etc everyday. It's a struggle. I want to look good but I want to eat chocolate. That's why I continue to come back to MFP. I need some "snack boundaries." MFP helps put the breaks on this behavior.
  • freyavioletlocke
    Options
    I don't deny myself a snack or sweet thing if I want it, but what I might do is make it a slightly more healthy version - so rather than eating chocolate and peanut butter, I might eat a banana with a small amount of peanut butter and perhaps a rice cake. As a vegan I eat a lot of peanut butter for protein anyway.
    Well done for resisting! And on the belt size!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!