Body building

Options
Hi MFP peeps! I'm new on here and I am in need of yalls help. I am starting my body builsing journey. Any of you out there current body builders, male or female. I want to pick some brains and gain some knowledge on nutrition and work outs. Thanks guys!

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,145 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the brotherhood (and sisterhood) of iron! We'll gladly answer any questions you may have, although a perusal of threads which already exist may answer much of what you need. The quick version:
    • Plan a progressive lifting program
    • Eat sufficient amounts of both calories and protein
    • Get sufficient rest (both sleep as well as days off for muscles to recover)

Repeat above steps for a long time (months/years)...changes take a while to become visible, and only after consistent lifting/eating/resting.
  • mrdasher
    mrdasher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am also a fitness enthusiast and gym-goer. I’ve been lifting weights for almost 30 years (I’m 52 now). I’m just now starting to take it to the max with the goal of a bodybuilder physique. In my experience and from what I’ve read over the years, protein is magic. Get at least 0.8 grams of protein for each pound you weigh everyday. Your goal weight should be used in this equation. Feeling puffy? Decrease your carbs and increase your protein. Good fats are our friends. Saturated fat should only come from lean cuts of beef or pork, egg yolks and dairy. Don’t eat a lot of those things. Tuna, salmon, and sardines are the best choice with chicken breast coming in next as top protein sources. Prioritize real food over bars and powders.
    Fruit and vegetables are often my only source of carbohydrates.
    Workouts - I like a full-body split. If you’re not familiar, you hit every muscle group every day with one exercise of four sets. That’s five or six days each week. I like it because I don’t tend to favor one muscle group and dreading another. They are all growing together and I feel like I haven’t worked out enough so I crave hitting the gym the next day. I find I can adjust weights and rest time easier too if it seems a muscle group needs less or more rest or overload.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Former competitive bodybuilder in the 80's (steroid free) and a personal trainer since 1998. I've been in the iron game for over 40 years and know quite a bit. Feel free to ask.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png