What's your why ?

Options
2»

Replies

• cdennis9154
    cdennis9154 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    It was back in 2012, right after my brother died. His extra weight was a big reason he had health issues. He was 9 years younger than me. I realized that if I didn't do something to get my own growing girth in check and reverse it that my life would be cut short also. .... You'd think that 11 years would have undone the damage created in the previous 25 years, but I'm still working on it. Every day I get older and everyday I learn something new ... OK, not very day do I learn, but I learn on more days than I don't.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. But I can identify with your sentiments. My best friend passed away in Feb under similar circumstances. It was definitely part of my wake up call.

Slowly but surely turning my life around. Not just dieting but changing my lifestyle and habits and relationship with food.

Don't give up! We can't afford it.
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    My why? Is reality. When a person reaches a certain age..maintaining a healthy weight, regular excercise, eating whole foods, and getting good sleep make the difference of 10 to 15 more Christmases with their family. Aging accelerates when you don't put the healthy breaks on..and that's a fact. I'm willing to do the work.

I hear you. I've got so much life to live and I want to enjoy all of it.

When did you start your journey
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I am so sorry for those of you have lost loved ones.

I have a few whys. One is appearance-related, for sure; I haven’t been able to wear any of my jeans for years and instead am in bamboo pants with elastic waistbands. They’re comfortable and look nice, but I prefer more fitted clothes. I’d also like to leave Tunicland.

The other is health-related. I have a weird connective-tissue disorder that has become more of a struggle as I age (I’m 62). Because of it, I have scoliosis, structurally unsound feet, an aortic dissection, and now a balance problem that requires use of a walker when outdoors or in wide open spaces. Weighing less means less back pain, less cardiac strain, more ease in maneuvering around, and possibly more time before the need for another complex and risky aorta surgery arises.

For most of my life, I was fairly slender, so I really have to shift my thinking and adopt new habits at a time when exercise has become more difficult. But it has to be done.
  • SleepingBeauty12345
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I want to look good as well. For obvious reasons, I want to be healthier, of course! But I've spent yrs being a mom and not taking time for myself and want to get back to "me" time again.
  • 9bhtn65nzj
    9bhtn65nzj Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My major why was in mid august, on a very hot day, I literally couldn’t find anything in my wardrobe that fit me. I tried on four dresses and all four wouldn’t go over my bust. I was in tears thinking omg why have I let myself go so badly? Since mid august I’ve lost 10/30 lbs target I set myself. I am on track to tackle the next 10 lb goal and hope that by the end of the year I will have lost all 30 lbs
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    9bhtn65nzj wrote: »
    My major why was in mid august, on a very hot day, I literally couldn’t find anything in my wardrobe that fit me. I tried on four dresses and all four wouldn’t go over my bust. I was in tears thinking omg why have I let myself go so badly? Since mid august I’ve lost 10/30 lbs target I set myself. I am on track to tackle the next 10 lb goal and hope that by the end of the year I will have lost all 30 lbs

Good job! You WILL have lost the 30 by end of year. Just stay consistent. What are your obstacles?
  • 9bhtn65nzj
    9bhtn65nzj Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    9bhtn65nzj wrote: »

Good job! You WILL have lost the 30 by end of year. Just stay consistent. What are your obstacles?

I am mentally committed to losing this weight. My main issue is organisation but I’ve tackled that by meal prepping on a Sunday and pre filling in my MFP food diary so I know exactly how I’ve planned out my meals