Back after 5 months

Options
I got 10 pounds to lose. Should I eat the exercise calories?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    I set up MFP according to instructions, setting "activity level" not including any intentional exercise. Then I estimated exercise calories carefully, and ate pretty much all of them . . . through the better part of a year while losing 50+ pounds (class 1 obese to a healthy weight) and for 7+ years so far staying at a healthy weight since.

Key idea: After about 4-6 weeks of conscientiously logging eating and exercise, look at your average weekly weight loss over that whole time. (If you have menstrual cycles, compare weight at the same relative point in at least 2 different menstrual cycles.) If you're not losing as expected - too fast or too slow - adjust your calorie goal accordingly. Use the assumption that 500 calories a day is about a pound a week, and do arithmetic for fractional pounds.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i eat my exercise calories because i set my activity level to sedentary— but i always assume my burn estimate is too high so don’t eat it all
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    I always did. Still do. I lost 80 pounds 15 years ago, still at that Goal weight (give or take five pounds in the summer/winter.)

This site (myfitnesspal) uses a slightly different way of calculating your daily calories than some other methods.

Here's the explanation: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • Egotrapped
    Egotrapped Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I do and sometimes if I’m really hungry, I’ll go out and exercise a bit so I can have more ironically, that makes me not so hungry 🙃
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you used MFP to calculate your daily calorie goal - you are meant to eat your exercise calorie. The 'activity level' in MFP doesn't include intentional exercise, just your daily activity level for your lifestyle/job.

I lost ~25lbs and ate probably 80-100% of my exercise calories back.

If you used some other method to figure out your daily calorie goal....maybe eat them, maybe don't (it depends on how that calculation is done).