Hi everyone!

Options
Back again after a few years break. I lost 3 stone very quickly (9 weeks?) after my divorce and 3 years later I’ve just been diagnosed with gallstones. Apparently my gallbladder isn’t happy processing so much cholesterol at once and after a year of tests for everything else, I’m due to speak to a consultant about possible removal. Excruciating pain is triggered by several things so I’m managing my symptoms with a strictly healthy diet.

It would be great to connect with others that have or are in my situation or even others that are on healthy eating plans for other reasons.
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,188 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome!

No gallstones, but I had to have my gallbladder out part way through weight loss. (My problems weren't triggered by weight loss, though gallstones can be. I had a more unusual condition, not stones or sludge, called gallbladder adenomyomatosis. It's thickening of the gallbladder walls. Mine - once they took it out - was an ugly cholesterolized thing with actual holes in it. That's definitely obesity related.)

They did tell me to stick with a lower-fat diet after surgery, but when I looked over what they recommended, I was already meeting it because of the eating changes I'd made for weight loss. In general, I do stick with what I consider a healthy diet: Appropriate calories, relatively high protein, moderate amounts of healthy fats, and really large amounts of varied, colorful veggies and fruits. I do add some less nutrient dense higher calorie treat foods if/when I have the calories available after my nutritional goals are met.

I was lucky, post surgically I haven't experienced any negative symptoms when I do consume more fats than usual. I know that isn't true for everyone.

I see you used the "low carb" tag, so I'm assuming that's the healthy diet you're pursuing? I'm not a low-carb-er myself, but most of my carbs are those veggies/fruits and some dairy. (I'm vegetarian. Low carb vegetarian is a hard road. It also doesn't guarantee weight loss: I went from thin to overweight to obese and back to thin again, all while vegetarian!).

Low carb can be great, for those it suits.

Wishing you success!