What are your tips for curbing those hunger pangs ?

Options
stellakhenizy
stellakhenizy Posts: 27
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I can think of 2 obvious ones ...........
eat lots of veggies
and drink lots of water

BUT

wondered if you had any personal experience with what has worked best for you
and / or any other things which you have found helpful

Kind regards;

Stella

Replies

• needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    I heard that coffee is an appetite depressant.
    Generally foods high in fiber will fill you up or trick you into thinking you're filled :) They will also stay in your system a lot longer which can be helpful. I suggest whole wheat breads/bagels, celery with peanut butter and raisins, brown rice, and kettle corn. There's probably more foods that I could mention but I'm pretty sure I gave a general idea :) Don't starve!!
  • b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I exercise I am not as hungry, I think it's because maybe I wasn't hungry in the first place but rather bored or emotional. The other trick I have is drinking tea. Maybe it's the same as coffee like needtloseafe stated. Good luck!
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I exercise I am not as hungry, I think it's because maybe I wasn't hungry in the first place but rather bored or emotional. The other trick I have is drinking tea. Maybe it's the same as coffee like needtloseafe stated. Good luck!

Agreed! I am waaay less hungry when I am active!

Unfortunately, I sit at a desk 8-9 hours a day and the hunger is strong! haha
    To cope with this I bring healthy snacks to work and have set times where I eat them. Planning ahead is the best strategy for snacks!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I eat.
  • technobunny
    Options
    I eat.

This.
  • MissCaroline71
    MissCaroline71 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum....*Learnt that from the Biggest Loser*
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Eating whenever I wanted food is what made me fat in the first place.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1) make sure your calorie defcit is a reasonable one. I had nary a hunger pang when I was losing. If you're having frequent hunger pangs, it is likely your calorie goals are too aggressive.

2) Exercise is an excellent appetite suppresent.

3) plenty of water

4) Foods high in protein, fiber, and healthy fat

5) Kinda goes with #4, but lots of whole foods
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Eating whenever I wanted food is what made me fat in the first place.

True. But there's a difference between simply wanting food... and feeling actual hunger pains!
  • Emglyfolk
    Emglyfolk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you can try and wait 20 minutes the craving might stop. If it doesn't go away then have some protein (hard boiled egg, some nuts, etc.) and stay within your daily calorie count. Chances are you are not actually 'hungry', you have a 'craving' or a 'want'.

Be sure you know the difference.

TRUE hunger gives you dizziness, shakiness, nausea, etc.

A craving is usually based on a habit and will go a way with self talk (I'm not going to eat anything because I feel bad when I do) or behavioural changes (leave room, exercise) or water.

If you are truly "hungry" you need to eat something. If you are having a craving or a want, you need to learn how to fight it....forever unfortunately..... These 'wants' are well established in our minds and body - after all you have probably had these cravings 100,000 times and you feed it when you do, so the behaviour is well established.........hang in there!
  • spammarino
    spammarino Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely dont starve yourself. I like to stick with low GI carbs throughout the day for their slow digestion. I always keep raw almonds with me for those times I am in a pinch and need to eat. Cant go wrong with proteins and healthy fats.
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options

Agreed! I am waaay less hungry when I am active!

Unfortunately, I sit at a desk 8-9 hours a day and the hunger is strong! haha
    To cope with this I bring healthy snacks to work and have set times where I eat them. Planning ahead is the best strategy for snacks!

THIS. I also have an office job and find myself hungry when I sit around. When I exercise I am not as hungry until later in the evening I get ravenous but I choose healthy snacks like carrots, snow peas and feta dill dip, greek yogurt, granola and yogurt bowl (made at home!), fruit, and calorie dense foods such as avocado, raw almonds, natural peanut butter (no sugar added kind) etc. Also, if you feel hungry drink 1 cup of water, if after 10 minutes you still feel hungry, have a snack. I also eat every 3 hours. GL
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I coud shove watermelon and cottage cheese (4%, anything less won't give you what your body is looking for) in my pie hole all day long. It's really high in sodium, but I can have 1.5 cups of watermelon and .5 cup - 1 cup of cottage cheese for cheap (calorie wise). It's salty, it's sweet, it's filling, it's a little fatty, and it looks like a heaping serving.

If that fails I have ice cream with toppings.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Water plus Apple Cider Vinegar works really well.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Eating every 2-3 hours.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Water plus Apple Cider Vinegar works really well.

That just sounds disgusting. If you want an assault on your tastebuds then have the DoTerra metabolic Blend . . . at least that will make your breath smell better.
  • Avarindria
    Avarindria Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A low sodium trail mix (walnuts, almonds, raisins, dried cranberries, and dark chocolate) has been a go to for me!! Also, I try really hard to drink as much water as possible during the day! :D
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugars from soda's to candy, pastries, and processed sugars.. Sounds odd but the sugary stuff spiked my insulin levels and when insulin levels dropped for me I became ravenously hungry. So cutting out sugars actually helped me quite a bit. I would also recommend eating smaller meals throughout the day and try to eat things high in fiber combined with a good protein source for each and every meal. Here's an odd tip you can also try, I knew a lady who would chew on ice cubes throughout the day to help curb her appetite. It worked for her.
  • jodi41086
    Options
    I can think of 2 obvious ones ...........
    eat lots of veggies
    and drink lots of water

BUT

wondered if you had any personal experience with what has worked best for you
    and / or any other things which you have found helpful

Kind regards;

Stella
    That's what my coach says fill up on veggies and drink ur gallon jug of water everyday. Before bed I eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter so I don't wake up pukey hungry. Be careful with coffee as an appetite suppressant it will keep u full for a bit but the caffeine can cause an overwhelming hungry pain hit later on.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I try to eat frequently, but when I know I'm not hungry and just fighting off hunger pains do to boredom or something emotional then I find these things help.

Sipping on some Green tea with a couple slices of Lemon always works for me. Or Chamomile which also helps bloating.

Savouring a square of dark chocolate.

Take a walk(alone or with my dogs) even if it's just a quick one around the block.

Some Wii Tennis or something else fun that keeps you moving

Playing Basketball or Tennis with the hubby

Tug of War with my dogs

Cleaning
This discussion has been closed.